“Great Location Smashing Views”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #104 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
“Great Location Smashing Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We enjoyed our stay in Edinburgh mainly due to the central location and comfort of the Old Waverley. The heavy glass front doors need replacing.You need to have had your porridge to open them especially managing luggage as well. The room was spacious and well equiped,the beds comfortable, the staff efficient and the breakfasts fine. I had my sleep interrupted one night by very noisy revellers on Princes Street and another night by contractors working on the new tram lines using a very noisy generator in the early hours. We did like the views of the castle and the marvellous facade of Jenner's department store.

Room Tip: The rooms with the best views tend to be noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

You can't beat the location. It's right on princes right in the middle of the action.
The rooms are very stately- spacious and there's huge recessed windows a large desk, a small table and chairs and amazing views of Edinburgh castle.
The bathroom is dated and could use a facelift though it's clean enough.
The staff were helpful though we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel itself.
One negative point-I didn't like having to pay for Wi-Fi.
All in all, it's a good place to stay and I would recommend it if you're looking for something in central Edinburgh.

1 Thank OscarHeycuff
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
My thanks to this guest for writing such a great review of the Old Waverley and I am sorry to hear that they were not impressed by our bathrooms which have always been the subject of high praise. I appreciate that not everyone enjoys paying for wi-fi but at just £5 for 24 hours this token payment is certainly not excessive.
West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

This Hotel is very, very central. If the Scott monument (which is in the centre of Princes Street) were ever to topple (god forbid!) it would probably fall close to the lobby of the Waverley. We were driving, and since Princes street is currently being dug up,(September 2012) we needed a Sat Nav to secure nearby off street parking to unload the luggage. The Hotel then gave us the location of secure (reduced priced) parking in an NCP car park.(This was a bit of a hike but do able) If you drive I suggest you plan your stay with no driving at all. (Bite your lip when you get the car out! It is not cheap) The city tour bus is almost opposite the hotel, really recommended you hop on and off and the Castle is a MUST.The city is very walkable. Though hilly!

The approach to the Hotel might dissapoint a little as it is situated through a (relatively) narrow doorway. Negotiate quite a few stairs to reception though and a friendly and proffesional welcome awaits. We selected a smaller, double room on floor 5, it was fine. Internal so no views, so what! VERY QUIET. BIG TV, LOVELY COMFEY BED, EXCELLENT BATHROOM. Air Con Tea and Coffee making facilities in the room. Also trouser press iron and ironing board. GREAT BREAKFAST. Lovely staff. Very good value.
Book direct. We experienced problems regarding B & B prices until we contacted the Hotel direct.They were then VERY HELPFUL!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Not only a fantastic review but a very comprehensive one also - many thanks to this guest for their time and trouble. I would urge all potential guests to listen to the sage advice on offer and book direct with the hotel to secure the very best price and package - I am glad to hear that we were able to help on this occasion.
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

When you arrive at the Old Waverley, it's all very beautiful and Scottish. Great location, lots of plaid, historic building, and good views over the city. But, on the whole, the hotel disappoints.

I was there with my family and we found the hotel pretty expensive for what you get. Our room was on the top floor with lovely views, but had a very leaky window and old beds. It seems that they've gotten feather top (or something similar) mattress covers to improve the situation, but generally the beds were old. Our bathroom was redone, but the rest of the room needed a face-lift. The lobby is very gorgeous, though, with tons of beautiful Scottish plaid, so maybe we had gotten our hopes up when we arrived.

We found the staff just OK as well. We asked for assistance in booking afternoon tea and taxis and neither worked out, so we wound up figuring it out ourselves.

Personally, I'd try to stay a bit closer to the Royal Mile the next time. Although it's a good location, it's still quite far from most of the main sites.

Room Tip: The top floor has the best views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
I am encouraged that this review is on the whole very complimentary about the Old Waverley but I am disappointed to learn that this guest found the bed to be uncomfortable. However, I am pleased to announce that we have just recently completed a full upgrade of all our beds and every one has now been replaced.
Insch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed for a long weekend for my wifes 50th and had looked for a quaint central place and found the old waverley. Staff very polite, friendly and helpful especially Dawid the top notch barman in the lounge. Excellent views of Princes street and the Scott monument from our room, a little disappointed with the standard of the Carpet and Decor both tired and frayed. we had booked a taxi for the Friday evening at 7.15pm, sadly it didn't turn up and we had to dash to the taxi rank along the road to get to our booked table on time, then awoken with a call to say the taxi had arrived, at 7.15am Saturday!!
We know it is a 3 star hotel but even given the location we feel they do need to up their game to justify the prices. We would stay there again if there were improvements made.

Room Tip: the higher you get the less traffic noise you get
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
A great review and I am glad to hear that this traveller found so much to love about the Old Waverley. I am sorry that they were disturbed by the tram works but these will be drawing to a close soon - one point, the door needs to be heavy so that it doesn't bang during windy days as we dont have the space for a sliding door!
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

The Old Waverly has an ideal location in Edinburgh, which is the main reason I chose it. I was staying over a few days with no car so it was nice and fairly central to everything I wanted to see and do.

It is a short walk to the the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle as well as several nearby restaurants. That's the good and the reasons why I took it.

Coming from outside of the UK I am dependant on adapters for my electronics and there was only 1 available outlet in my room without moving all of the furniture (and this was in the bathroom).

I had to pay for wireless access, which in this day and age in simply unforgivable, especially since it was such a terrible signal (I had to choose whether I wanted my phone or tablet online because the signal couldn't handle two devices, and further if a device went to sleep I had to put the key back in).

I was shocked at the expense of getting a few shirts laundered prior to leaving - it turns out that they send them out to a dry cleaner rather than do them on site with their sheets and towels which is all I want. It cost £25 for each the laundry and the crappy wireless (so £50).

The building maintains a historic look but that's no reason to have ancient single pane glass. All that results in is heat loss and a lot of street noise coming in every single night I there when the bars let out, invariably waking me (I didn't go there for night life I was there for other reasons).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sabrefreak
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Many thanks for the feedback and I am sorry that not everything was to your satisfaction during your stay. Our wifi charges are fairly standard and at only £5 for 24 hours are exceptionally reasonable, and we do not have an in-house laundry so we have to send items out which are always returned on the same day, and again these charges are exceedingly modest.
Leon Kiteley

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Short stay whilst visiting the tattoo found the location perfect, it took us longer to find our way out of rail station than the walk to hotel. Stayed in budget room which was as described and couldnt complain about that except the shower rail which was fitted over the bath and it fell down. Then noticed it was in bad state red rusty. A let down not what should be found particularly when considering the room rates which were a premium. In general found staff to be helpfull and polite, but I had booked over internet room only where offer was take print out of invoice for half price breakfast yet reception kept asking for voucher despite having been shown invoice and written confirmation of instructions. Then found it somewhat annoying when having breakfast to be told it not included this even happened after I had settled the extras bill. Would stay there again but would look for a better deal first.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barney h
Great to hear this guest enjoyed themelves at the Old Waverley and many thanks for the kind words, especially regarding our fantastic location. Apologies for any confusion regarding booking of breakfast but we have simplified the process now and would urge all guests to book directly on our own website for the very best deals.