“Good Location”

Ranked #104 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good Location”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We actually hadn't booked this hotel, but were sent here by the Mercure after they couldn't fulfill our reservation. I wish we could give half points since I would say this is closer to a 3 1/2 instead of a 3. It was nice enough and the location was wonderful.

The check-in staff were very nice and accommodating and the breakfast the next morning was good. I enjoyed the view of the city and the rooms were comfortable, but a bit on the average side. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Nice few words on the Old Waverley and thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay with us. Our location is great; I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time, finding the hotel well located! I am also delighted to read you found our rooms to be comfortable, enjoyable breakfast and pleasant staff which are keys to our success in hospitality sector.

We look forward to welcome you back at the Old Waverley Hotel soon.

Leon Kiteley
General Manager - The Edinburgh Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed for three nights and it was wonderful...it's very old fashioned and I liked it very much. The fairly large room was decorated in a very cute manner---sort of apricot and white--and we had a gorgeous view of Princes Street. It was very conveniently located directly across from Waverly Station and right near Rose Street, where there are tons of yummy places to eat and drink and people watch. There is a Sainsbury's up the road, too, that is open till 10 which was nice...you can hop on any tour buses on the bridge right near by, if you are so inclined, or just walk across the way and up to get to the Royal Mile and the castle and the like. The bathroom was great--good water pressure and temperature. Overall, we had a wonderful stay at the Old Waverly Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Another brilliant review of the hotel and my sincerest thanks to this traveller for sharing their thoughts with the wider community! I am delighted that the reviewer pointed out the tasteful décor to making their trip so memorable! Finally, we look forward to welcome you back at the Old Waverley Hotel soon.

Leon Kiteley
General Manager - The Edinburgh Collection
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I visited for a show which was on in the Playhouse, I have stayed here a few times and will definitely return. I always get allocated the same room and I am glad that I do. Lovely king size which is huge and very comfy. Relaxing seating area by the window which overlooks princes street and offers some of the best views in the city. It's very clean and the bathroom is modern. The rooms have a heater and an air con unit fitted in in them which allows temperature to be suited to each guests individual needs, this is a big plus and you will not find these features in some 4 and 5 star hotels in Edinburgh (it is all down to the listed building status, but the Old Waverley which is the oldest hotel in the city has found very simple solutions to this and deserves all the credit as such). The bar is comfortable and a nice place to relax and the Cranston's restaurant serves quality food well beyond that of a 3 star hotel. If you are on a budget and looking for a convenient and luxury classic in Edinburgh then look no further.

Room Tip: It is a very old hotel and as such it does not have any wheelchair accessibility from Princes street
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Many thanks for such a brilliant review of the Old Waverley and I was thrilled to read such high commend of our rooms and our location. We enjoy welcoming our regular and new guests to the hotel and delighted to read that our availability allowed my colleagues to allocate the same room. Beside, I am grateful to read the hotel’s features are described above 4 and 5 star hotels in Edinburgh. Indeed, Old Waverley has listed building status with many characters. Our Scottish themed Cranston’s Restaurant only selects local and fresh produce to create finest dishes and again, I am delighted that you were impressed with your visit at the Restaurant. Finally, we look forward to welcome you back at the Old Waverley Hotel.
Doncaster, S Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We've just returned from a two night break at the Old Waverley which we enjoyed very much. The position of the hotel is it's greatest asset, central for just about everything, railway, shops, cafe's the park just over the road and the castle just a few minutes walk away. Yes, this hotel delivers. The food and service we found to be lacking nothing, breakfast was very good and on our second night we had an evening meal which was delicious ( congrats to the kitchen staff ) and we sat at the corner table which was very cosy. The waiting staff were very good, always smiling and asking us if everything was ok. The room we had was room 314, we had upgraded to a superior corner room which was worth the extra £70.00 as you had two great views of Princes Street and a giant bed and very modern and clean bath/ shower room with yet another window. If I was to be a bit picky, I would say that the entrance to the hotel is a bit strange, going into a long corridor between shops and then up some steps to the reception, but hey that is really picky. Overall we very much enjoyed our short stay at this hotel and if we go to Edinburgh again it would be my first choice. I mentioned that I thought it was quite expensive. My total bill for two nights b and b and one meal came out at just under £400.00 including the upgrade. Now I know that you can get last minute holidays to the continent with flights for less than that, but the first hotel that I priced was The Balmoral, which sits right on top of the railway station ( I suppose that at one time it was an original Railway Hotel ) and that came out at over twice what I paid at the Waverley. So I suppose it's a case of you pays your money............, but a very nice treat all the same

Room Tip: Ask Alex for the Superior corner upgrade, it was £70.00 for two nights in June but was worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Not just a superb review, but a very detailed account of this guest's wonderful experience at The Old Waverley which has taken a great deal of time and effort, and for that this reviewer has my sincerest thanks. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time, finding the hotel well located in the middle of all the major attractions.

Our Scottish themed Restaurant, Cranston's is popular to our guests and I will definitely pass on your congratulations to our chef.

I am delighted that you were impressed with your visit and look forward to welcome you back at the Old Waverley.
Schenectady, NY
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Location is excellent (across the street from the Scott Monument, very near the train station). Easy access to Old Town. Near sights in New Town. Airlink bus from the airport drops you across the street from the train station, so only about a half a block walk from the hotel. As mentioned by others, be aware that the hotel is not on the ground floor, so you will have to carry your luggage up one flight of stairs (there is an elevator from the lobby to the room floors.) Check-in and out were both pleasant. Our room was one of the less desirable ones (top floor, in the back, porthole window facing an alley), but it was clean, bed was reasonably comfortable and bathroom was in good shape. And that is all we need in a place like Edinburgh – who wants to hang out in the hotel room? Did not eat at the restaurant, so can’t offer an opinion. Did have drinks in the bar. Nice view. Would consider staying here again. For those, like me, who always want to know these things for packing purposes: bathroom amenities are bottles of shampoo and shower gel and one bar of soap. No condition, no lotion. (Hair dryer is in room and worked fine.) Pack accordingly.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wraar
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read you found our rooms to be clean, bed comfortable and pleasant service at the front desk . I think you might have been left with a better impression had you booked a room more suited to your needs and expectations. Perhaps you might like to try one of our superior rooms next time you are in the city ?
There is a bell at the entrance which will alert our porter who will be only too happy to come and assist guests with their luggage.
Looking forward for your next visit at the Old Waverley Hotel .
Klin, Russia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Comfortable central location, rooms are great (stayed in double room. there was view to the Princess St and the Castle). Big room wtih all amentities. No free WIFI, but that was ok for me. I didn't go to breakfast in the hotel, there are a lot of pubs and cafes near around, where you can have any meal you like. Location is great - near to everything you can be interested in Edinburgh. Definetely will come back here again..in December 2013...))))))

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Another great review and many thanks for the positive comments regards to our service overall.
Princes Street view is indeed amazing and our location couldn’t be better. Once again , many thanks for your excellent review and looking forward to see you in December.
San Carlos, CA
Reviewed 23 June 2013

A good old fashioned hotel across the street from Edinburgh's main Waverley station and a short walk to the national museum (across the street), Edinburgh castle about 3/4km across the street, dining and shopping (Rose street-pedestrian area right around the corner and lots of shops on Princes street). We had rooms on the highest floor, possibly the former attic. It was surprisingly spacious and had a spacious bathroom as well with a deep tub and a nice showerhead with good water pressure. Front desk staff were professional and friendly. We didn't try the restaurant as there were so many dining choices in the area but it looked very good from the outside. One improvement I might suggest is a fuller drape for the quaint round window. The sun rose pretty early and provided a nice wake up call though a couple of hours earlier than I would have liked. Wifi is an additional charge and there didn't seem to be free wifi in the lobby area. Noise was not an issue as our rooms faced away from Princes Street.
All in all a good hotel and I would stay here again .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family