We arrived after a very long number of flights from Australia. There are many steps to get up into the hotel and no elevator. I went up to ask for help and a our bags were brought up to the reception. An eastern European receptionist was then very rude to us as we had arrived before the check in time and we were sent off while our bags were stored. After staggering around in the heat thoroughly jet lagged we went back at the allotted time. (3pm)
We were given a triple room on the first floor that was jammed with beds and a chair and table. The bathroom was good sized though. There are steps up to the elevator and my elderly mother and I were abandoned to negotiate our luggage up these steps and to our room.
It was very hot during our stay and there is no air conditioning and no fans in the rooms, portable or otherwise. This meant that windows had to be open in the hope of some air. This also meant no sleep as there were always very noisy streets below.
The breakfast was included in our package which was lucky because it was totally not worth paying for. Very limited and unappetising. Service at breakfast was terrible. One morning I heard an elderly group of ladies complain to the service staff that they could not get down to 0 (ground) on the elevator. They were told "there was nothing wrong with the elevator" and it was "their fault" and then dismissed totally. This despite the fact that we ourselves had problems numerous times too.
Checkout was just as appallingly difficult with our luggage, the elevator, the stairs and little to no help. We were glad to move on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modernized hotel in building dating from 1848; overlooking Princes Gardens and the Scott Monument; with views of Edinburgh Castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Old Waverley Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Waverley Hotel
- Old Waverley Edinburgh
- Waverley Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hotel Waverley
- Edinburgh Hotel Old Waverly
- The Old Waverley Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland