“Edinburgh Fringe Accommodation”

Ranked #104 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bedale
“Edinburgh Fringe Accommodation”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed at the Old Waverley Hotel when we visited Edinburgh for the Fringe. It is within easy walking distance of most of the Fringe venues and Edinburgh Waverley train station. Clean, comfortable and very efficient. My 5th floor room was compact and had AC which was not used, The double bed seemed small but we are used to a King Size. We arrived before the check in time and the receptionist immediately offered to place our bag in their left luggage room. We were also allowed to leave our bag all of the next day before our late train home. Excellent breakfast. All of the staff were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
The Fringe is my very favourite part of the year - when the city just comes alive! My thanks, then, for choosing the Old Waverley for such a special time and for leaving such a fabulous review. See you next August?
Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Old Waverley Hotel was an economical choice for my mother and I. My mother was rather dissatisfied, but being a seasoned traveler I feel I am more accepting and easier to accommodate. Our double room ended up being a triple room (for no extra cost)--an unexpected yet pleasant surprise. My bed had a nice view of Edinburgh castle, and although I enjoy a city ambiance, the curtains block out most light and noise. There is no air conditioning, however, and the internet requires a pass code but, if I remember correctly, is free. The location is extremely convenient--across the street from the Waverley Monument and Waverley train station--but there is no elevator from the street level/ground floor to the first floor lobby, which is extremely inconvenient when you're carrying a lot of luggage. Staff was helpful and multilingual. The food wasn't the best, though; especially not for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I recently stayed on business with 3 colleagues. My room on 4th floor was ok but my colleagues on 6th floor had a tiny porthole instead of a window and the water pressure meant the shower was just a dribble. It was incredibly hot even in my room and so we asked whether when we came back next week we could be allocated rooms on the lower floors with proper windows. However when we contacted our booking agent we were told this time we would have windows that wouldn't even open! On the plus side my room was clean, my mattress was very comfy and the decor was ok if a little tired. On the negative the food isn't great - after the first dsy we had breakfast elsewhere and the fruit juice is either really cheap or watered down. We have found somewhere else to stay next week! Great location for access to the centre of Edinburgh but the price, rooms and service are NOT great.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank crunchie73
My thanks to this guest for their mostly positive review but I am sorry to learn that they were not fully satisfied with their room. Please note, if you are unhappy about any aspect of your stay - contact us immediately and we will endeavour to rectifyt the problem. Don't waste time calling you booking agent - let us know of the probelm and allow us to help directly.
Gold River, California
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The best thing about this hotel was the views of the city. However, the rooms themselves left much to be desired for the price- old decor, no climate control, cramped rooms. For the price of the room, one would expect to have Wi-Fi included but that was not the case.
The restaraunt in the hotel was terrible. Overpriced and food was poorly cooked.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time share your thoughts on the Old Waverley - but please note (and all potential visitors) that we do indeed have 30 rooms with Air Conditioning - just call us at the time of booking to reserve.
Leon Kiteley

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We arrived after a very long number of flights from Australia. There are many steps to get up into the hotel and no elevator. I went up to ask for help and a our bags were brought up to the reception. An eastern European receptionist was then very rude to us as we had arrived before the check in time and we were sent off while our bags were stored. After staggering around in the heat thoroughly jet lagged we went back at the allotted time. (3pm)

We were given a triple room on the first floor that was jammed with beds and a chair and table. The bathroom was good sized though. There are steps up to the elevator and my elderly mother and I were abandoned to negotiate our luggage up these steps and to our room.
It was very hot during our stay and there is no air conditioning and no fans in the rooms, portable or otherwise. This meant that windows had to be open in the hope of some air. This also meant no sleep as there were always very noisy streets below.

The breakfast was included in our package which was lucky because it was totally not worth paying for. Very limited and unappetising. Service at breakfast was terrible. One morning I heard an elderly group of ladies complain to the service staff that they could not get down to 0 (ground) on the elevator. They were told "there was nothing wrong with the elevator" and it was "their fault" and then dismissed totally. This despite the fact that we ourselves had problems numerous times too.

Checkout was just as appallingly difficult with our luggage, the elevator, the stairs and little to no help. We were glad to move on.

Room Tip: Away from the road. Ask for the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SSSherilynn F
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I loved historic hotel. The location is absolutely perfect, with a view of the Old Town and Castle, on Princess Street, easily accessible from the Train station, not too far. The service was excellent, friendly staff, they answered a lot of our questions also. Superb Scotish breakfast, the best haggis I had was there, really good. You have to try that, really tasty.

The room was spacious and clean, with a superb view of the castle at night.
Central for just about everything, train station, grocery, shops, pubs, cafe, the park just over the road and the castle just a few minutes walk away. Bought my kilt at Hector Russel store, a very special moment for me, scarfs, etc..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Another wonderful review for the Old Waverley and my sincerest thanks to this guest for their kind words, and for taking the time to praise so highly our location, cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff.
NYC
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel's location is absolutely perfect, easily accessible from bus that leaves from the airport, and 5 minute walk to the Royal Mile.

The service was excellent-my friends and I asked a lot of questions regarding how to get from place to place, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Our room had airconditioning, which was an absolute must for us, and it worked perfectly.

The room itself was beautiful, in keeping with the building's general atmospheric, old-timely feel (it's a really old building) but clean and with a very nice bathroom.

All in all, a very nice stay! Highly recommend if you want a different feel than staying in a chain hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
A super review - glad to read this guest had such a good time in Edinburgh, and at the Old Waverley Hotel. Many thanks to them for sharing their experiences..