“great place to stay in Edinburgh”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #106 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I chose The Old Waverley Hotel in Edinburgh to stay in over the St. Andrew's Day weekend and I made a very good choice. The location on Princes Street, opposite Waverley Station is ideal. I got out of the train and with the hotel directly across the road I was soon at the hotel reception. Nice, well fitted rooms with a very comfortable bed, television and internet. And a bathroom with an actual bath. (As well as a shower) With the castle the backdrop the view from my room was wonderful and Princes Street is a very lively thoroughfare with many shops and stores. Buffet breakfast had everything you could want from fruit to full English. You can also have lunch/dinner in the bar and the food was well presented and tasty. A map of Edinburgh is available from the reception and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The Old Waverley Hotel is a great place to stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

A super review for the Old Waverley and many thanks for choosing to spend St.Andrew's weekend with us. I am eternally grateful for such conistent and comprehensive praise for our product and service, especialy our breakfast offering which is perhaps more accurately descibed as "Full Scottish".
Leon Kiteley

Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the negatives...

- Ditzy receptionist. Mind boggingly.
- no lift until you get to reception. With a lot of bags, it sucks! But a porter helped my girlfriend for check in so not too bad.

The good

- location, location, location
- we got an upgrade to a nicer room!!!

Great value for money.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank pevans183

Many thanks for such a positive review - we are very proud of our location and our service - hope to see you again soon....

Reviewed 23 December 2013

stayed here 1 night in December, just across from the train station and lovely views in the center of the city. the hotel lounge is very quiet and calm and perfect for in between jaunting about. you'll hear the lone bagpiper or the Christmas music depending on the season. Alas, the room was very small and the service not entirely welcoming. The reception is on the 1st floor (2nd American) BTW and the entry doors are difficult to manage with baggage never mind the stairs up to the reception. I had just come from Glasgow so I suppose the Big City of Edinburgh just didn't have the charm for me. This hotel certainly didn't except for the comfy lounge.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Another great review and I can confirm that Edinburgh definitely is the place to spend the Festive Season with the Old Waverley being the most perfect base from which to enjoy all the festivities.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

The location of the Old Waverley is perfect - an easy walk to the train station, the airport bus, Princes Street and the Royal Mile. The bed was the most comfortable we slept in during our month-long vacation in England and Scotland. The shower pressure alone is worth a return stay. This was our second stay at the Old Waverley and we will stay there again. The wi-fi was fine in our room but was iffy in our traveling companions' room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank glw527

It is always wonderful to read a positive review but even more so when it comes from a repeat guest - many, many thanks for the kind words about our showers and comfy beds, and I hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have just returned from a short break at this hotel and have nothing but praise for the hotel and staff. I took my elderly mother and the staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel itself was in an ideal location across the road from the railway station and the wonderful Xmas market. The restaurant staff were so helpful with my mother when we had a Festive lunch and also at breakfast. Having read previous and mixed reviews prior to our stay I wondered if we were in the same hotel. Yes, the Old Waverley is a little faded in parts but this added to the charm of a very traditional hotel which gave us such a warm welcome. We could have stayed in another hotel which was part of a chain but would have felt we could have been in any city in the UK as they all look the same.
Our room was a premium room on the front overlooking Princes Street and was roomy,comfortable and clean with a lovely bathroom.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful with lots of hot choices available each morning and no problem being seated immediately on arrival.
So from me and my mother a big thank you to everyone at the Old Waverley and I look forward to a return visit.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shirlloyd
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here in December . The location of the hotel is fantastic and is right on the doorstep of the shops and is an ideal base for exploring the city, it literally faces wavereley train station. Now the hotel, it is very tired and is in need of some TLC. The whole place needs renovating and bringing up to date. the breakfast is just OK , when you order they ask do you want tea or coffee, and one day they totally forgot . The room we were in was quite small but functional as we only stayed there for 2 nights . It was on the 6th floor and overlooked another high rise building so a lift was required all the time to get to the room and I always felt it was going to stop for some reason and it was very small Would I stay there again probably not

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here for short break while visiting Christmas market. Hotel is great location. Only 5 min. walk from main railway station and on Princess Street,so close to shopping area.
Room was smallish at rear of hotel, but clean and tidy. Both room looked as if it been recently refurbished. Only downside was the bed which was lumpy and very uncomfortable. we complained about the bed after our first night and we were upgraded to a superior room at the front of the hotel for the rest of our stay at no extra charge. The staff were apologetic and said that the mattress was due to be changed shortly. The superior room was much better overlooking Princess St. and I would book one of these if stayed at hotel again.
We stayed on bed and breakfast basis. The breakfast was self service buffet style and adequate. We ate early each morning about 8.30/8.45 so restaurant was fairly quiet ,no queuing for food. Only scrambled eggs on buffet, if you wanted fried,poached or boiled this was ordered separately and took a little while to arrive.
Overall an enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior room if possible