The Old Waverley Hotel
US$373
US$333
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
  • Room Service
US$335
US$279
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$153
  • Room Service
US$245
US$221
  • Pool
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$152
US$224
US$181
  • Breakfast included
2,215 results
All reviewsscott monumentprinces streetgreat locationtrain stationfirst flooredinburgh castlechristmas marketcorner roomtour busestriple roomyour luggagecentral locationbuffet breakfastprincess stnice bathroomreception areashort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Throughout my four months spent traveling Europe, I must say that out of every hotel, bed & breakfast and hostel I stayed in, The Old Waverly was by far the most disappointing. Where to even begin? Upon entering the hotel, there is a flight of stairs you have to climb in order to reach the front desk. I had an overweight, 60-pound bag, a carry-on and a backpack with me that I was expected to carry up the stairs myself - granted, there was a buzzer you could ring at the bottom for assistance, but there are only women working the desk and I can guarantee they would be of little to no help carrying large suitcases. After lugging my suitcases up the steps, I was met with three members of staff who seemed generally bored and uninterested, offering little enthusiasm and practically falling asleep at the desk. I found them to be somewhat rude, too, and not a single one of them offered to help me take my luggage up to my room. There is only one elevator and you can fit one person in it comfortably; two is a stretch. Besides the wait staff in the restaurant, I found the rest of the hotel staff to be rather arrogant. Anyways, I stayed a total of three nights in The Old Waverly and after the first I had to leave for a two-day trip to the Highlands - I asked if the hotel would hold my large suitcase for me until I returned, but they refused, citing that they did not have a place to keep luggage. Frustrated, I lugged it back down the stairs and across the street to the train station where I paid roughly $100 to store it. Upon my return from the highlands, I checked back into the hotel and as I stood there waiting to collect my room key, I watched as a member of staff removed SIX suitcases from a room near the desk and hand them over to a woman staying in the hotel. Now, I can understand that perhaps they didn't want to store my luggage overnight because they did not want to be held responsible for it, but I was blatantly lied to and told that there was no place for them to store luggage. If they had been honest from the start, I would not have minded. You have to pay extra for breakfast every morning, which came as no surprise, but I was dumbfounded to find that you have to pay extra for the wifi too. I have stayed in multiple hostels throughout my trip around Europe and a bed & breakfast owned by an elderly couple, and all of these places have included wifi in the bill. Am I supposed to believe that the Old Waverly cannot foot the bill for all of their customers to have wifi during their stay? Although the rooms were clean and the bathroom was more spacious than others I have had, overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Edinburgh for an extended period of time. Take your money elsewhere, there are plenty of other hotels lining Princes Street that are surely more welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank miarup
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed May 1- May 4TH. Room was comfortable if a little small, but we weren't there to spend all day in the room. Very friendly staff all around. Prompt housekeeping and helpful front desk staff. Resonable prices in the lounge and friendly bartenders. I don't understand the negative reviews. If you are looking for a boring sterile chain hotel, this is not the place for you. This is a lovely European hotel.

Room Tip: While we loved the view overlooking Princes street, it can be a little noisy, if thats an issue for you, request a room in the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StP-local
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed her for one night as a get together to spend a night away. Hotel is in a fab location, right on Princes Street. Were on the 6th floor and had a nice view. Room was clean. Bathroom was small with a midget size bath tub, but for one night was fine.
Hotel has a lift, however what lets the hotel down is the main entrance off the street has a few stairs, so not really suitable for wheelchairs/pushchairs.
If you are a light sleeper (like me) the noise of the traffic can be noisy.

Overall great for a one nights getaway.

Breakfast was good, however I am guessing it's probably better to go down as early as you can when everything is nice and fresh.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed overnight at The Old Waverley on return from further north during a business trip. The room had been booked by an agency being selected mainly for it's location, being right next to Waverley train station, and it was one of the few hotels that had a room left at short notice.

It was fairly average across the board and I would not stay there again; I'd carefully select somewhere else even a bit further away from the station. Like some other hotels I have stayed on next to stations in the UK, I felt that the proprietors were making little effort to keep the hotel up to date and happy to let the hotel reap profit from it's superb location. In comparison with modern hotels, it suffers from lack of amenities. There is no gym or pool. This is purely somewhere to stay and maybe eat. Consequently, the staff, although very polite, probably suffer from lack of motivation and seem a bit bored.

The entrance to the hotel is a bit odd. It is up a flight of stairs above the shops on Princes Street. I stayed in a small interior room with double bed. The room was very clean. The bathroom seemed very modern and not long renovated. I noted single glazing across all over the hotel; this is a problem with what is probably a listed building. Consequently there was some problem with noise out the back. There was no view but I expected this. I noted an aircon unit which was fitted in a very amateur fashion. I switched it off but the pipes continued for a while to make odd noises. My room was also right next to a lift and a lot of noise at times came from the corridor. The thin room door did not help either. I would have felt inhibited had I not been on my own, shall I say? I did sleep very well although I was very tired.

I did eat dinner at the hotel but I felt that I should have made the effort and looked elsewhere. It was suspicious empty when I walked in. Altogether it was nothing special, reasonable value and, like much about the hotel, a missed opportunity. The restaurant itself was in an impressive but dimly lit room. I noted that the music was on a loop. Fare was fairly standard, reasonably cooked but with no attention paid to quality of ingredients. Meat was just meat, salmon was probably standard farmed and no indication as if it was Scottish or not. The bread rolls were dull and microwaved. I forgot my experiences as a student in Scotland; the beer is rarely any good. Given the restaurant's super location and potentially lovely room, given a lot more effort it could be stunning.

Breakfast was advertised at 7. Given the location right next to a station I felt that something on offer from 0630 should have been standard. I was there, as were an American couple, at 0700 but breakfast was not ready. The staff looked surprised to see us there. It was still being put out and was not completely ready until 0710. This could have been very annoying if I had wanted to catch an earlier train. Again, the fare was fairly standard with little effort. Eggs were probably battery produced and the blandest ones at that. The sausages were OK. The coffee served was dreadful and slow to arrive. I had to prompt the staff to put out orange juice.

Generally the hotel was very clean if tatty at the edges outside rooms and in the corridors.

I found that internet was not included on my room rate. Why don't hotels realise these days that in room internet is as standard as running water these days? I had to go to the desk to sort this; it could not be done from in room. I succumbed to the charge; there was a choice of £3 for 12 hours or £5 for 24 hours. It worked fairly fast and was wireless. I noted a Cat 5 (internet) socket but this did not work.

Reception were very quick, helpful and polite.

In summary, this hotel is a missed opportunity as is the story with so many older British hotels (I am British). The Premier Inn or equivalent would probably have been a safer bet, better value and more predictable.

Room Tip: Avoid the interior rooms, or rooms at the back, if you are interested in more than just getting your head down.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ARGC
Reviewed 6 May 2014

MY WIFE and I stayed at THE OLD WAVERLEY, PRINCESS STREET, EDINBURGH, on SUNDAY, 4TH, MAY, 2014, and everything about this stay was super, THE RECEPTION STAFF the reception staff couldn't do enough to ensure I was booked in 2 HOURS before ckeck in time,the room was excellent, overlooking Princess Street, spotlessly clean, the BREAKFAST the next day was one of the best I have had, very good selection of HOT and COLD food, Breakfast room spacious and bright,and I was presently surprised to find that the waitress clearing out table was in fact the Operations manager Paulina GORALCZYK this goes to show that all the staff combine together to make this Hotel run efficiently, and the next time I have to visit Edinburgh, I would have no hesitation in staying in this Hotel again

Room Tip: 214 SUPERB, corner room overlooking Princess Street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business