“pity about road noise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #101 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
perth scotland
“pity about road noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Good hotel in great location, in fact it would be hard to fine a better loaction anywhere in Edinburgh. Room very clean and fitted with tea and coffee facilites, a good tv and a trouser press and ironing board. I had a 4th floor room overlooking Princess St Gardens, and looking directly at Scott's Monument. The only down side was the bed was on castors, and ony needed the slightest touch for it to go walkabout! The biggest problem though was road noise. It woke me at 5.30am as the buses and taxis began their journeys, and the new tram system was being tested. It was very difficult to get into any decent sleep after then. However, I would recommend this hotel as it offers clean well fitted rooms, a fantastic location, and all at a very decent price.

Room Tip: great views from rooms at the front, I believe rooms at the back look at brick walls.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing Old Waverley as your hotel. We are delighted to hear that you praise the location and the views. We do apologise for the fact that you did not have the most relaxing sleep, however it is out of our hands to control the noise of the busiest street of Edinburgh. We hope that this fact will not discourage you from staying with us again!

We hope that you give our hotel another chance, and maybe consider staying at one of the rooms which are located at the back of the hotel.

Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is a nice hotel in a great location on Princess Street. We had a standard room on the 4th floor. The room was small, but adequate for our short stay. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice. The room and hotel was clean. The downside to our room was that the window was frosted, so no outlook. It must have been at the back of the hotel because it was dim even in bright sunlight. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. We didn't like the charge for wi fi

Room Tip: If you want a view pay the extra. We were asked for £50 per night to upgrade
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pdsfinance
Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you found our accommodation suitable for your needs. In regards to the frosted window - you have guessed correctly; the rooms that are situated at the back of the hotel need to have frosted windows as they are overlooking offices and a department store. We are sorry that you found the room dim due to the frosted windows. I would like to address the issue of the wifi, as there are many guests confused about this matter. If you book directly with the hotel the wifi is provided for free; if however you have booked your stay through other websites or travel agents we cannot control the additional charges for wifi.
I hope that despite these minor issues we will welcome you back again soon!
Thank you once again for your positive rating.

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Entrance at ground floor level was rather hidden and does not make for a good introduction to the hotel on the upper floors. Lovely room on the 1st floor with large windows overlooking the Scott Memorial. Mealtimes were ather regimented - breakfast does not start until 07.00 (really) and Internet was charged for (although reasonable at £3 for 12hrs).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Paul,
Thank you for your recent review of our property. We are very glad that you enjoyed the room and the views of our beautiful capital. In regards to our mealtimes, we would like to believe that they are not regiment but standard times that most of the hotels follow. If you require an earlier breakfast we are more than happy to provide continental breakfast that can be brought up to your room.
Thank you once again for choosing us as your accommodation in Edinburgh, and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I think initially we picked the Old Waverly as it was conveniently located and it fit our budget. We were pleasantly surprised at what we got.
The hotel is located on Princess st and we got a view of both the Scott monument and Edinburgh Castle from our window.
I have read other reviews saying that this hotel is dated......well to those I say IT'S EDINBURGH. We travel quite a bit and try to keep the cost down. We believe that we got our moneys worth here.
You need to start the day with a hearty breakfast and the kitchen provides a buffet with many delicious items including haggis. Haggis is actually really good.
The obligatory trip to the castle and the whiskey tasting were both fun and very local but the best thing we did was take a bus tour of the Highlands and Loch Ness. The tour we took leaves from in front of the Castle.
We loved our stay at the Old Waverly and would highly recommend it to others.

ig

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sirkevin1967
Dear,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we have exceeded your expectations. We are glad that we could contribute to your positive visit to our beautiful city. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Booked this last minute during an unplanned trip to Edinburgh.
This hotel is across the street from Waverly train station.
A friendly welcome and an easy check in.
The room was small but adequate. Glad to see a Corby trouser press was present.
The room had a new en suite with plenty of hot water.
The view from the room however is second to none. Overlooking station with a view if Scott's monument and the castle. Soil pipes were a bit noisy in the morning though.
The hotel would have been amazing in it's heyday. Look at the ceiling when getting breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was basic self service of cooked food and cereals.
It's got character and I would stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DanceBoBo
Dear Owen,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation in Edinburgh and for your positive review. As you have noticed yourself, the hotel is a historic building and although it provides modern amenities, some of the parts of the building cannot be renovated.
We are glad that you would stay with us again and we are looking forward to your next visit!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is a 3 star hotel in the centre of the city of Edinburgh that has spectacular 5 star views of Princes Street Gardens, the Old Town and Edinburgh Castle. If arriving by rail, within 15 minutes of the train stopping, you can be out in the heart of the city, having dropped your bags off at the hotel.

At the hotel, the entrance is uninspired, a small door on Princes Street leading to a narrow corridor and a stair up to the reception. The decor is dull and looks tired, even if the carpets are new. Staff were friendly.

Book online direct with the hotel to get free internet. I booked a single room but was lucky to get a twin, on the top floor and with two quirky porthole windows that offered amazing views towards the castle, on the best views in the world – from the floor plan on the door there did seem to be some much smaller singles that did not have any view, though these could be quieter as even 6 floors up the street noise was very noticeable.

The décor was OK, if a bit dated. Despite having two beds and enough space there was only one arm chair and even that was not very comfortable. The curtains were not good at keeping out the light and combined with soft beds and the street noise, it did not make for a good night’s sleep.

The restaurant is an attractive space and the food was OK. Not the best quality, but then this is not a top of the range hotel. Main let down was the coffee was industrial and served in tiny pots. Also some fresh fruit would have been good to counter the fried food. There is a huge selection of restaurants nearby so no need to eat here otherwise.

Would I stay here again? If it were for one night, the price was keen and I wanted to be near the station, I might. Otherwise there are lots of other hotels to try.

Room Tip: Castle views are astounding - but may be noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Throughout my four months spent traveling Europe, I must say that out of every hotel, bed & breakfast and hostel I stayed in, The Old Waverly was by far the most disappointing. Where to even begin? Upon entering the hotel, there is a flight of stairs you have to climb in order to reach the front desk. I had an overweight, 60-pound bag, a carry-on and a backpack with me that I was expected to carry up the stairs myself - granted, there was a buzzer you could ring at the bottom for assistance, but there are only women working the desk and I can guarantee they would be of little to no help carrying large suitcases. After lugging my suitcases up the steps, I was met with three members of staff who seemed generally bored and uninterested, offering little enthusiasm and practically falling asleep at the desk. I found them to be somewhat rude, too, and not a single one of them offered to help me take my luggage up to my room. There is only one elevator and you can fit one person in it comfortably; two is a stretch. Besides the wait staff in the restaurant, I found the rest of the hotel staff to be rather arrogant. Anyways, I stayed a total of three nights in The Old Waverly and after the first I had to leave for a two-day trip to the Highlands - I asked if the hotel would hold my large suitcase for me until I returned, but they refused, citing that they did not have a place to keep luggage. Frustrated, I lugged it back down the stairs and across the street to the train station where I paid roughly $100 to store it. Upon my return from the highlands, I checked back into the hotel and as I stood there waiting to collect my room key, I watched as a member of staff removed SIX suitcases from a room near the desk and hand them over to a woman staying in the hotel. Now, I can understand that perhaps they didn't want to store my luggage overnight because they did not want to be held responsible for it, but I was blatantly lied to and told that there was no place for them to store luggage. If they had been honest from the start, I would not have minded. You have to pay extra for breakfast every morning, which came as no surprise, but I was dumbfounded to find that you have to pay extra for the wifi too. I have stayed in multiple hostels throughout my trip around Europe and a bed & breakfast owned by an elderly couple, and all of these places have included wifi in the bill. Am I supposed to believe that the Old Waverly cannot foot the bill for all of their customers to have wifi during their stay? Although the rooms were clean and the bathroom was more spacious than others I have had, overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Edinburgh for an extended period of time. Take your money elsewhere, there are plenty of other hotels lining Princes Street that are surely more welcoming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank miarup

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels