“Flawed”

Ranked #104 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Flawed”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First the good points, the location is very good central to Princes Street, a few hundred yards from the Royal Mile, and very close to the station. The bathroom facilities were good. Looking at the room it is probably aimed at professionals on business. The breakfast was good and filling.
Now the downside. They wanted to charge for the internet. That nowadays is unacceptable. The room was noisy, there was no air conditioning, probably not a usual requirement in Edinburgh but if the windows were opened the noise level was intrusive and there is no secondary glazing. I accept they may not be allowed the latter, and the former is due to the location. What annoyed me was being asked for a £25 "deposit" charged to my credit card and refundable. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and never had this. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid anything overlooking the main roads
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Many thanks for the kind words regarding your stay at the Old Waverley and I am sorry if there was any confusion at the check in stage - we don't charge a £25 deposit, merely check that the card presented has sufficent funds to cover any eventualities - no charge is made, and this is standard practice worldwide.
Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Austin
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at The Old Waverley Hotel, except the really bad internet service. The room was very clean, comfortable and spacious for the price, plus the location was great. We were just across the street from the train station and within walking distance to loads of restaurants/shops. It was about a 20 minute walk to Edinburg Castle. Breakfast included a full English breakfast plus cereals, fruits and pastries. We paid extra for the internet, which was unbelievably cumbersome to use on my iPad. Our final day, it didn't work on any device.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise in the front, try to get a room in the rear alley. No view, but a lot quieter...
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had a lovely room overlooking Jenner's Store. Well appointed and appeared recently refurbished. Very comfortable. Only disappointment was, that when we arrived we enquired about the dinner deal offered through lastminute.com - 1/3 off the £25 three course dinner menu. The receptionist didn't know anything about this, and although she claimed to check it out, she suggested I had confused the deal with another hotel. We ate elsewhere. Having returned home and looked up the site again, I was correct, so beware. Take a copy of the hotel description with you if you want the deal.

Room Tip: If you want the view, be prepared for the traffic noise.
1 Thank mmbonner
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked this hotel through booking.com. Probably should of read the description a bit better. No on site parking and we drove around the city for over an hour to find adequate parking, nearest being the train station.

Our room overlooked an alleyway with bins and extraction fans from the neighbouring building, not the view we were expecting, BUT in all honesty had not come to Edinburgh to look out of a hotel window so let it go.

The bathroom had a tiny bath, not really big enough to relax legs in after walking all day, the major problem was the toilet!!! The flush was stopping the seat from being up whilst my partner was using it....hence piddle on the loo seat, rather amusing to me, to the annoyance of my partner.

Staff were all very friendly, (apart from the 3 breakfast staff) who looked like they really didnt want to be there!

On our second night, I pulled a dirty towel from behind the headboard of the bed, it'd obviously been there some time as the musky smell hit us when it emerged!

All in all we felt the prices charged were based entirely on the location to the major attractions to Edinburgh, £20 parking extra, £25 charge to your card on check in (refunded) not mentioned when booking though! Bar prices, over the top, and a charge for using the wifi! Don't bother!

This hotel is not terrible, it's just very dated! Needs a lot of modernising, and a decent chef/menu! Change the coffee at breakfast as it was probably the worst I've ever had!

Would I return...probably not as it is.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a view overlooking the park!
Aberdeen
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This city centre Hotel is ideally located on Princess Street. Walking distance from Waverly Railway Station with hand luggage. Large number of stairs from street level to reception. Lifts to all other floors. Very friendly and helpfull front desk. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room not overlooking Princess Street. Great views of Scott Monument and Castle are the positives but busy traffic and now trams as well can be a bit noisey. Breakfast service is buffet style but you can order alternatives from the kitchen. Very varied selection and good quality. Room was well presented as was the en suite bathroom. Dinner is also available as is room service meals which I found to be very good. There are areas of the hotel which are in need of refurbishment but overall perfectly adequate. Very good value.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook Princess Street which have great views but there is some traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Tutbury
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a glorious old well appointed hotel BUT the owners have let it go to rack and ruin. The staff were fabulous so kind and helpful. The hotel was JUST clean but is in desperate need of some paint and renewing. So very very sad as it is just a gem. The food was very disappointing, we had to wait back in the bar until the chef could let the waitress know if he could accommodate the two of us, when we went in the menu was very limited and the food boring with a choiceof 4. We wish we had eaten a bar snack they looked nicer! There were 5 other tables eating. This hotel needs money spent on it. As I say just a joke. It was like an up market hostel. So disappointing.

Room Tip: If you want position then this is ok and that is about it. I need to go back to Edinburgh shortly a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel M

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Hi. I won a competition recently for two nights in Edinburgh including flights for two people, and from the list of hotels we were offered, we chose the Old Waverley because it was close to everything and I can’t walk miles!

I was a bit apprehensive having read some less than enthusiastic reviews beforehand and I wasn’t sure as this was a ‘freebie’ if we might get given a - shall we say - less preferential room. But I was very pleasantly surprised. We had a lovely twin room on the fifth floor - great view of the castle etc., and so quiet - slept like a log in a comfy bed. It has the amenities you would expect (or hope for!), i.e. ability to iron your clothes, hairdryer, nice little TV on the wall etc.

The breakfast is buffet-style with a variety of things on offer, i.e. the cooked breakfast included scrambled eggs/bacon/mushrooms/tomatoes/sausages/hash browns (also haggis and black pudding, which I was too much of a coward to try…) and you can also order porridge, poached/boiled eggs etc. Variety of cereals, fruit juice, toast, croissants, yoghurts etc. etc. - I really had trouble choosing and ended up eating more at one breakfast sitting than I would usually eat for breakfast in a week! It set us up for the day and we didn’t have to eat again until the evening (and being on a budget, this was useful!)

The reception staff were reasonably friendly, the cleaners very friendly, and the bar staff were exceptional - they kindly opened the bar especially for me just to serve me a drink before my flight, even though they weren’t due to open for at least another half hour.

The only mild criticism I would have is that the hotel is warm… very very warm. So don’t take your fleecy pyjamas with you!

One thing I have noticed while re-reading some of these reviews is that some earlier criticisms have obviously been addressed before our visit. And from comments only a couple of months old, too. Impressive.

I would definitely return to the Old Waverley - I am back home now, hurriedly entering more competitions! (:

Room Tip: It's well worth getting a room on a higher floor because it is so quiet. Also a room facing Pri...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LisaSimpsonx
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing our hotel! I am delighted to hear that you chose our hotel and that you found it up to your standards. I would also like to thank you for complimenting our staff and mentioning or facilities and services.
As you have noticed we try to take the feedback from our guests on board and strive to improve every day!
Looking forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Edinburgh!

Kind regards,