The Old Waverley Hotel
US$336
US$215
US$107
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$849
US$683
Hotels.com
2,229 results
All reviewsscott monumentprinces streetgreat locationtrain stationfirst flooredinburgh castlechristmas marketcorner roomtour busestriple roomyour luggagecentral locationbuffet breakfastprincess stnice bathroomreception areashort break
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First the good points, the location is very good central to Princes Street, a few hundred yards from the Royal Mile, and very close to the station. The bathroom facilities were good. Looking at the room it is probably aimed at professionals on business. The breakfast was good and filling.
Now the downside. They wanted to charge for the internet. That nowadays is unacceptable. The room was noisy, there was no air conditioning, probably not a usual requirement in Edinburgh but if the windows were opened the noise level was intrusive and there is no secondary glazing. I accept they may not be allowed the latter, and the former is due to the location. What annoyed me was being asked for a £25 "deposit" charged to my credit card and refundable. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and never had this. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid anything overlooking the main roads
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Many thanks for the kind words regarding your stay at the Old Waverley and I am sorry if there was any confusion at the check in stage - we don't charge a £25 deposit, merely check that the card presented has sufficent funds to cover any eventualities - no charge is made, and this is standard practice worldwide.
Leon Kiteley

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at The Old Waverley Hotel, except the really bad internet service. The room was very clean, comfortable and spacious for the price, plus the location was great. We were just across the street from the train station and within walking distance to loads of restaurants/shops. It was about a 20 minute walk to Edinburg Castle. Breakfast included a full English breakfast plus cereals, fruits and pastries. We paid extra for the internet, which was unbelievably cumbersome to use on my iPad. Our final day, it didn't work on any device.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise in the front, try to get a room in the rear alley. No view, but a lot quieter.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had a lovely room overlooking Jenner's Store. Well appointed and appeared recently refurbished. Very comfortable. Only disappointment was, that when we arrived we enquired about the dinner deal offered through lastminute.com - 1/3 off the £25 three course dinner menu. The receptionist didn't know anything about this, and although she claimed to check it out, she suggested I had confused the deal with another hotel. We ate elsewhere. Having returned home and looked up the site again, I was correct, so beware. Take a copy of the hotel description with you if you want the deal.

Room Tip: If you want the view, be prepared for the traffic noise.
1  Thank mmbonner
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked this hotel through booking.com. Probably should of read the description a bit better. No on site parking and we drove around the city for over an hour to find adequate parking, nearest being the train station.

Our room overlooked an alleyway with bins and extraction fans from the neighbouring building, not the view we were expecting, BUT in all honesty had not come to Edinburgh to look out of a hotel window so let it go.

The bathroom had a tiny bath, not really big enough to relax legs in after walking all day, the major problem was the toilet!!! The flush was stopping the seat from being up whilst my partner was using it....hence piddle on the loo seat, rather amusing to me, to the annoyance of my partner.

Staff were all very friendly, (apart from the 3 breakfast staff) who looked like they really didnt want to be there!

On our second night, I pulled a dirty towel from behind the headboard of the bed, it'd obviously been there some time as the musky smell hit us when it emerged!

All in all we felt the prices charged were based entirely on the location to the major attractions to Edinburgh, £20 parking extra, £25 charge to your card on check in (refunded) not mentioned when booking though! Bar prices, over the top, and a charge for using the wifi! Don't bother!

This hotel is not terrible, it's just very dated! Needs a lot of modernising, and a decent chef/menu! Change the coffee at breakfast as it was probably the worst I've ever had!

Would I return...probably not as it is.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a view overlooking the park!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This city centre Hotel is ideally located on Princess Street. Walking distance from Waverly Railway Station with hand luggage. Large number of stairs from street level to reception. Lifts to all other floors. Very friendly and helpfull front desk. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room not overlooking Princess Street. Great views of Scott Monument and Castle are the positives but busy traffic and now trams as well can be a bit noisey. Breakfast service is buffet style but you can order alternatives from the kitchen. Very varied selection and good quality. Room was well presented as was the en suite bathroom. Dinner is also available as is room service meals which I found to be very good. There are areas of the hotel which are in need of refurbishment but overall perfectly adequate. Very good value.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook Princess Street which have great views but there is some traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo