The Old Waverley Hotel
US$129
US$125
HotelIndigo.com
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
Agoda.com
US$185
US$167
2,226 results
All reviewsscott monumentprinces streetgreat locationtrain stationfirst flooredinburgh castlechristmas marketcorner roomtour busestriple roomyour luggagecentral locationbuffet breakfastprincess stnice bathroomreception areashort break
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Having not actually stayed (I checked out due to lice on the bed), upon arrival in was greeted by the "manager". She requested I swiped a card or handed over £25, having stayed in many places I just refused as I was going straight to bed, she then refused to check me in !! After some discussion I eventually checked into a room. I lifted the blanket it get into the bed and there was lice on the pillow. I called reception and the "manager" appeared again. She looked at the lice told me it was "only a woodlice" and that she would get rid of it !!! when I asked to be moved room I was told it was fully booked. I had to beg for another room but eventually checked out, where I was refused a refund !!! I would love someone to contact me to resolve this issue as when I asked for manager contact number I was told they wouldn't give me a refund either !

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
12  Thank Kyra M
Reviewed 20 June 2014

As the title says,this is an old building but very quirky,clean and comfortable,because of its age there are a few creaky floorboards and some of the sash windows are painted so much you can't open them,we had air conditioning in the room so we were able to keep the windows shut which is good because Princes Street is very busy and lively out there,the bathroom was pristine clean and looked new. The room itself was a good size with a king size bed that was very comfortable and well furnished.
Our evening dinner was delicious and cooked to perfection and the service first class. Breakfast was a buffet and you have a great selection of which you could have as much as you could eat so be careful if you are counting the calories.
Overall I think three stars is about right and being a minute away from the station it is central to everything. There are a number of steps leading to the reception area making it very restrictive to wheel chair users and people with physical disabilities. The staff were all friendly and helpful and I would certainly stay at The Old Waverley again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie11111
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Bernie,

Thank you for your positive feedback on Trip Advisor! We are very glad to see that we have met your expectations and we do hope you enjoyed your stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel has an excellent location - right in the middle of Edinburgh - it's very easy to get around. The hotel itself is across the street where you normally catch the bus for several 'hop on, hop off' sightseeing companies. As well, it is right in the middle of Edinburgh's shopping district, and very central to the train station.

The lobby seemed to be air conditioned, but we were unable to find air conditioning units in the rooms (we booked a family room with three singles), and because of this, slept with the windows open (and dealt with the street noise). The hotel itself has been refurbished, but the elevator is quite small, and is definitely older. I would suggest (like other reviews before mine), that people with mobility issues may reconsider booking. You have to go up a few flights of stairs to the front desk.

The internet you have to pay for, and each code that they give you only enables one device. It is fairly slow, we had to come down to the lobby to get any sort of decent signal (could have been because we were on the 3rd floor), but we saw another couple doing the same.

Breakfast was really good, and the staff was always very polite (and did try to help with the wireless issues). Overall a pretty good value for an older hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites are nice and large - higher floors may have less street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Many thanks for the positive review of the Old Waverley although I am sorry to learn that you experienced difficulties with our wi-fi. We did have issues across the building but I am glad to say that these were short lived and quickly rectified. With regard to air conditioning, due to the age and nature of the building it has not been possible to install it in every room, and as such we have approximately half of our bedrooms equipped. Should this be a requirement, please contact us directly at the time of booking and we will do our best to accommodate.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here last weekend with some friends. The hotel is a little dated but our triple room on the top floor was lovely, quirky, clean and with a good view across Edinburgh. It was a perfect location for all the attractions. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was adequate, however there was haggis and porridge on offer! (which were both delicious!).

But there was a negative - there was no air conditioning and the room was stifling! We had to have the windows open, and as its located in a very busy area, it was so noisy outside. Therefore we had little sleep, which was a shame as it slightly spoilt our trip.

If this problem was rectified, it would be a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room at the back of the hotel, this may be quieter. But then you would lose the fabulous view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lindywitchywoo

Another great review for the Old Waverley although there was a disappointment that not every room has air conditioning which - as I mentioned in the previous review - due to the age and nature of the building it has not been possible to install it in every room, and as such we have approximately half of our bedrooms equipped. Should this be a requirement, please contact us directly at the time of booking and we will do our best to accommodate.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

First the good points, the location is very good central to Princes Street, a few hundred yards from the Royal Mile, and very close to the station. The bathroom facilities were good. Looking at the room it is probably aimed at professionals on business. The breakfast was good and filling.
Now the downside. They wanted to charge for the internet. That nowadays is unacceptable. The room was noisy, there was no air conditioning, probably not a usual requirement in Edinburgh but if the windows were opened the noise level was intrusive and there is no secondary glazing. I accept they may not be allowed the latter, and the former is due to the location. What annoyed me was being asked for a £25 "deposit" charged to my credit card and refundable. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and never had this. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid anything overlooking the main roads
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for the kind words regarding your stay at the Old Waverley and I am sorry if there was any confusion at the check in stage - we don't charge a £25 deposit, merely check that the card presented has sufficent funds to cover any eventualities - no charge is made, and this is standard practice worldwide.