“Why no free wi-fi?”

Ranked #103 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Worthington, Massachusetts
“Why no free wi-fi?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Old Waverly for two nights and found the location most conventient. I didn't mind that the elevator starts on the 1st floor ( think 2nd ) and goes up from there. It is an old building that they keep in acceptable order. The breakfast buffet was very good. What bugged me is that you have to pay extra for wi-fi service! So we went to Starbucks and got it for free. This hotel should not see charging for wi-fi as a profit center!

Room Tip: Ask for FREE wi-fi service!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Old Waverley Hotel in Edinburgh. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. In regards to the internet charge- if you book directly with the hotel www.oldwaverley.co.uk you get FREE wifi.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to our city!

Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Northallerton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a lovely hotel near the station the rooms were very clean and comfortable, the staff in the reception very helpful and also in the bar and restaurant, the bar meals were excellent value, couldn't fault it all

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine G
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Christine,

Thank you for your kind review; I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Hopefully see you again soon!

Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our first visit to Edinburgh and the Old Waverly. I'd have to give it a mostly positive, but somewhat mixed review.

First, the positives-
-Great location just across the bridge from the old city and Royal Mile, but within easy walking distance of the train station, sightseeing buses, a major shopping center and lots of restaurants and pubs.
-Accommodating staff.
-Updated bathrooms (one of the best showers we had while in the UK).

Now, the concerns-
-It took three emails prior to our visit before someone from the hotel responded to our request to confirm our reservation.
-If you travel by car (probably not a good idea in Edinburgh) be prepared to park blocks away at a shopping center and carry your luggage from there. If you come by train or bus, you can arrive right nearby.
-Don't know if our room was typical or not (we got a cheap rate through a travel website), but it was really, really small.
-There's no elevator from the street level entrance to the lobby/registration area. Getting the luggage up those stairs was a bit of a chore for us.

2 Thank JPofSC
Auchterarder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I had lunch in the lounge bar of this hotel on Wednesday and found it to be a hidden gem. It was lovely and quiet and yet you could look out on to the bustle of Prices St and watch the world go by. The food was excellent and the service first class. It was just a lovely place to sit and eat a leisurely lunch without being hastled to hurry up. will definitely return next time I visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sandra M
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for taking time in reviewing our Abbotsford Bar. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is a rather old hotel but with comfortable rooms and beds. If you do not need air conditioning in the summer, you've got it made here. Great value for your money. Breakfast nice and suficiente. Rooms comfy. Only drag is the first set of stairs with no elevador to the lobby. But the hotel does send someone for your luggage. Location superb!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Having not actually stayed (I checked out due to lice on the bed), upon arrival in was greeted by the "manager". She requested I swiped a card or handed over £25, having stayed in many places I just refused as I was going straight to bed, she then refused to check me in !! After some discussion I eventually checked into a room. I lifted the blanket it get into the bed and there was lice on the pillow. I called reception and the "manager" appeared again. She looked at the lice told me it was "only a woodlice" and that she would get rid of it !!! when I asked to be moved room I was told it was fully booked. I had to beg for another room but eventually checked out, where I was refused a refund !!! I would love someone to contact me to resolve this issue as when I asked for manager contact number I was told they wouldn't give me a refund either !

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
12 Thank Kyra M

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

As the title says,this is an old building but very quirky,clean and comfortable,because of its age there are a few creaky floorboards and some of the sash windows are painted so much you can't open them,we had air conditioning in the room so we were able to keep the windows shut which is good because Princes Street is very busy and lively out there,the bathroom was pristine clean and looked new. The room itself was a good size with a king size bed that was very comfortable and well furnished.
Our evening dinner was delicious and cooked to perfection and the service first class. Breakfast was a buffet and you have a great selection of which you could have as much as you could eat so be careful if you are counting the calories.
Overall I think three stars is about right and being a minute away from the station it is central to everything. There are a number of steps leading to the reception area making it very restrictive to wheel chair users and people with physical disabilities. The staff were all friendly and helpful and I would certainly stay at The Old Waverley again.

1 Thank Bernie11111
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Bernie,

Thank you for your positive feedback on Trip Advisor! We are very glad to see that we have met your expectations and we do hope you enjoyed your stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!