Fantastic location for shopping or sightseeing
My 11yr old daughter and I had a great weekend. The staff are very friendly and helpfull. We arrived early and had our bags stored securely untill we could check in. We were checked in by 2pm as our room was ready before 3.
Room on the 5th floor was spacious immaculately clean (all bed linnen and towels white and spotless) with a view of Princess Street . Widowsill huge my daughter sat up there to enjoy view of the castle at night.
Kettle available for tea coffee and much appreciated by my daughter hot chocolate.
We wern't disturbed by any noise from the obvious work on Princess Street but we are early risers anyway.
Bed was large I think more Queen sized than double and very comfortable. Warm at night would have liked to have been able to open the window but same was locked for safety reasons I presume
Can't comment on the restuarant as we ate out but the buffet breakfast was very good and staff attentive.
So whats the BUT well we were bitten by a bed bug and although there was a spot or two of blood on the sheet I presumed my daughter had scratched herself or something. I did not connect this with bed bugg bites untill we had returned home and she developed a local reaction to the bites.
I contacted the Hotel this morning and spoke with the General Manager and he admitted quite freely that they had had an issue with bed bugs and had had the hotel treated accordingly. My worry was that we had brought the so and so's home but he went and checked the room and phoned me back to reassure me there was no sign of infestation.
The staff in this Old and somewhat tierd Hotel (stair carpet on it's last threads!) try very hard to meet their customers needs and this unfortunate problem they have at the moment shouldn't detract from that.
As a family who have travelled quite a lot and stayed at some of the best and not so good hotels this hotel gives great value for money. There appears to be a huge problem with bed bugs worldwide just now. Hotels don't manufacture bed bugs people bring them in and I just hope I havn't taken any away with me.
The Manager who was very professional and friendly not as other reviews protrade him has offered us a free nights stay the next time we are in Edinburgh and we might just take him up on that. Actually if my daughter has a say in it we will
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modernized hotel in building dating from 1848; overlooking Princes Gardens and the Scott Monument; with views of Edinburgh Castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Old Waverley Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Waverley Hotel
- Old Waverley Edinburgh
- Waverley Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hotel Waverley
- Edinburgh Hotel Old Waverly
- The Old Waverley Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland