“FANTASTIC LOCATION BUT !!”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #105 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC LOCATION BUT !!”
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Fantastic location for shopping or sightseeing

My 11yr old daughter and I had a great weekend. The staff are very friendly and helpfull. We arrived early and had our bags stored securely untill we could check in. We were checked in by 2pm as our room was ready before 3.

Room on the 5th floor was spacious immaculately clean (all bed linnen and towels white and spotless) with a view of Princess Street . Widowsill huge my daughter sat up there to enjoy view of the castle at night.

Kettle available for tea coffee and much appreciated by my daughter hot chocolate.
We wern't disturbed by any noise from the obvious work on Princess Street but we are early risers anyway.

Bed was large I think more Queen sized than double and very comfortable. Warm at night would have liked to have been able to open the window but same was locked for safety reasons I presume
Can't comment on the restuarant as we ate out but the buffet breakfast was very good and staff attentive.

So whats the BUT well we were bitten by a bed bug and although there was a spot or two of blood on the sheet I presumed my daughter had scratched herself or something. I did not connect this with bed bugg bites untill we had returned home and she developed a local reaction to the bites.

I contacted the Hotel this morning and spoke with the General Manager and he admitted quite freely that they had had an issue with bed bugs and had had the hotel treated accordingly. My worry was that we had brought the so and so's home but he went and checked the room and phoned me back to reassure me there was no sign of infestation.

The staff in this Old and somewhat tierd Hotel (stair carpet on it's last threads!) try very hard to meet their customers needs and this unfortunate problem they have at the moment shouldn't detract from that.

As a family who have travelled quite a lot and stayed at some of the best and not so good hotels this hotel gives great value for money. There appears to be a huge problem with bed bugs worldwide just now. Hotels don't manufacture bed bugs people bring them in and I just hope I havn't taken any away with me.

The Manager who was very professional and friendly not as other reviews protrade him has offered us a free nights stay the next time we are in Edinburgh and we might just take him up on that. Actually if my daughter has a say in it we will

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bucks
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Booked a room with a view .. and wow did we get it ! Anticipated noise from the tram works and requested a room on an upper floor .. all the better to see Edinburgh Castle and the old town spread out before us.. staff were pleasant, room was spotless and we did not encounter any unwelcome visitors ie bedbugs or mice . Only a couple of minor whinges .. we booked a double room .. but bed was definitely on the smallside and breakfast was a real dissappointment and did not vary at all ... fresh bread , fruit , and lowfat spread would be very much appreciated by the more health concious amongst us. On the whole thouroughly enjoyed our stay at The Old Waverly, location is superb for shopping,eating out and sightseeing .

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
garstang
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I checked into the old waverley on the 6th nov with my daughter we went to edinburgh on a shopping trip for her 19th birthday! we had lunch when we arrived it was ok but they got the order wrong! we went out shopping as check in is not till 3 but they kindly locked our bags away, when we got into our room it was nice with a view of princes street, i was laying on the bed resting and i could here scratching behind the bed i thought it was next door, but it continued and got worse then the proble came clear when a mouse appeared, i quickly went down to reception and asked for the general manager who was very obnoctious and rude, he said clearly we dont have mice i will move rooms so we moved from 109 to 114 this room was nice but absolutly freezing he put on the heating but as we sat in there it got no warmer, so we told reception they assured me to fix it, we went to the hotel bar to warm up and have a coffee, we looked at the evening menu and ordered dinner, we both ordered the same starter chicken pate, when it arrived it was fish pate this was the final straw for me i went back to my room very angry they just cannot get anything right the room was still freezing and they said they could get the heating on i demanded a full refund for my dinner bed and breakfast stay which i had pre payed and checked out of this shambles i then went to the train station at 8pm and had to buy new tickets to get us home which cost me a fortune im not happy to say the least, next time i stay in edinburgh which i do freakuently on shopping trips i will not be stying here and recomend no one else bothers either.

• Stayed November 2009

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

manchester
Reviewed 5 November 2009

How I wish I had checked Trip Advisor before booking and read previos reports about Bed Bugs I awoke in the middle of the night to find I was being eaten By BED BUGS... the respionse from both the night staff and next day the General Manager LIAM KITLEY, was disconcerting to say the least.They KNOW this is a problem and treat each complaint on a ropm by room basis,The whole place needs fumigating !!!I moved hotels but was not happy at getting no sleep the night before I had to deliver an important Training EventDO NOT STAY HERE.... Iam now taking medication to try & help with the reaction to the bites, I have lots all red, raised & itchyAVOID The Old Waverley like the plague !!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank lilliGilly
Ireland
Reviewed 30 October 2009

This was my second time to stay in this hotel,my daughter and myself love it.We asked for a room overlooking the castles and we got it.Our room was so pretty and the beds were so comfortable.The breakfast was lovely and the staff very friendly.It is so convenient for shopping and you can drop in your purchases and go shopping again.I hope to return to Edinburgh before Christmas with my husband and hope to stay there again. Sheila and Jennifer from Ireland.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
maidstone
Reviewed 15 October 2009

the old waverly is perfect for location on princes st,the main shopping street in edinburgh,so girls you will love it!!!!!!!the views from our room were fantastic,overlooking princes park which is gorgeous,also you could see edinburgh castle from our room....the hotel sits above shops so the ground floor has to be reached by a set of steps whch is a bit inconvienient when checking in with your luggage,but fair enough hotel offered to help us with case upon check out...the hotel is good for the open top bus which i reccomend as it starts it`s edinburgh tour virtualy accross the road...the hotel staff our friendly and the rooms are spacious with nice plasma tvs in room...i found the breakfast average....the bars are nearby in george street or royal mile.....i reccomend grass market area it had lovely student feel to it!!!!!!!!!also reccoment a coach tour to lochness inverness and ben nevis,this is amazing value for thirty five pounds for a twelve hour tour of scottland!!!!!so all in all a great location for a standard but friendly hotel.......p.s the princes street road works are an incovieniance but far from a nightmare!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Oldwaverley, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2009
Many thanks to this guest for such a positive review of the hotel. Please note that should you require assistance with your luggage from the ground floor, there is a bell to summon one of our Porters who will be only too happy to help.
Leon Kiteley
Cheshire
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Room was nice n clean n quite spacious
Central location its on the main shopping street not too far to get to the Grassmarket where the pubs are
Breakfast was lovely it was a sort of all you can eat thats if u felt like it lots of choice
All in all was a great hotel to stay at
the only downside was parking but at least you get discount for the correct car park when u find it

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Sincerest thanks for this review - we realise how important a good, Scottish breakfast is and we try hard to get it right.
Leon Kiteley