“Excellent accommodation”

The Knight Residence by Mansley
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed there for two nights during the Edinburgh Fringe - lovely apartment with everything you could need for breakfast provided. All the information you could require as a tourist is also provided - so thoughtful.

Room Tip: Apartments on higher floors would be best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RealMcKay

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just back from staying in the knights. Residence was amazing as always , super staff , clean , beautiful apartments .i have stayed in the knights residence for the last 13 years and I wouldn't stay anywhere else .
Will be back soon

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Patricia D
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have just returned from another three night stay with the family for the Festival - the Fringe and the Book Festival. I think it must be our 9th or 10th annual stay and the kids are now 19, 17 and 15! We find the Knight residence is ideal for us - a home from home in a very central location - walking distance to everywhere we want to go! The apartments are very comfortable and the staff always welcoming and helpful. Great stay as always - many thanks!

1  Thank GordonM932
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We recently stayed here for 3 nights during the very busy festival time. (Aug 3-6, 2014) We tried to book a 2 bedroom apartment back in January of 2014 and the website said they were already full. I called to confirm this and they suggested I try Expedia as they hold some rooms. Luckily I got one through Expedia. I’m not sure if it’s more expensive booking through them or not but I was just happy to get a 2 bedroom apartment. Our stay here was during the halfway point of our travels so I wanted a place where we had some room and a washing machine! We decided it wasn’t worth the extra money to have the 2 bathrooms. Although, it would have been nice for sure! I think it was around $450CDN difference for 4 nights so it hardly seemed worth it. We arrived by taxi from the train station. We did see some people walking with their luggage but since we didn’t know the area at all and it was SO busy, we got a cab instead and it was a quick ride. After sharing a hotel room in London, the 2 bed apartment was so nice to spread out into! We loved it. I read that others had their kitchen stocked with eggs, cookies, cakes and such. We had a loaf of bread, some butter, jams, cereal, milk and juice. It wasn’t replenished but I’m sure if you asked, it would have been. I think others had more items upon arrival than we did but that was fine as the grocery store was really close by so we got a few more essentials there. The apartment is clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a large size and the shower worked well. The staff were very helpful and friendly. My only gripe (and it’s minor) is the cleaning staff would knock on our door every morning around 9am. As we were travelling with teens, (and sharing one bathroom) we were never ready to leave that early. We had late nights out. The lock was a little tricky trying to open that first morning to advise her of this so it was a bit chaotic with me in my housecoat trying to open the door. Again, I’m sure if I mentioned to them that we won’t be ready early in the morning, they wouldn’t have attempted it again. It wasn’t a big enough deal to mention. But, if it is important to you not to be disturbed in the morning, advise them. The hotel is in a really central area, very close to the castle and Old Town. Yes, there are strip clubs nearby but it didn’t bother us. We came to Edinburgh during this busy time not to attend the festival but to attend the Royal Military Tattoo and it was a highlight of our trip. It just so happens that we were there on Aug 4th which was the 100th anniversary of Britain declaring war. So, it was really special to be there. We loved it! We spent a great deal of time WALKING…we walked the entire Royal Mile many times and up to Calton Hill. My son, Colton, had his photo taken on top of Calton Hill as his Great-Grandfather (who was Scottish) used to tell him about Calton Hilll so he likes to think he was named after it. Beautiful views up there! We continued to walk to Arthur’s Seat for more spectacular views. I recommend wearing proper shoes. I didn’t realize we were doing this walk on that day so I had on a sundress and flip flops so I spent my time trying to stop my dress from blowing up and trying not to stumble on rocks. I managed but it would have been so much better had I worn proper shoes! We also visited The Real Mary’s Close which was really cool. Just the thought of standing in the remains of a home/street that old was just surreal. The hotel is also close to numerous shops and restaurants. Our first night we walked to a vegetarian restaurant and what a find! Henderson’s is a must visit! Their food is delicious, wholesome and healthy! It was sooo good. The atmosphere is nice too…very old, quaint building. Exceptional service! The night we were there they had a woman playing the piano right beside us. What a treat! All in all, if you are looking for a place that feels like a home away from home that is centrally located, clean with exceptional staff, then pay the extra and stay here. It is worth it! Our room was on the top floor so it was very quiet, no noise at all! We want to come back again and we will stay here for sure. I think I’d prefer a less busy time of year though.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghApartments, General Manager at The Knight Residence by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thanks for the detailed review, we really appreciate it. You sound like a local - much as we enjoy the Festival's and the benefits they bring we are always happy when it's over and the city get's back to a calmer normal! Do visit again, consider June when the daylight last from early morning until late evening. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was our 11th visit to The Knight Residence and we enjoy the friendly welcome and central location every time. The spacious rooms and communal areas are kept very clean and Colin, Chris and staff are all very helpful. We always book 5 rooms for our party to visit the Festival Fringe and everybody in the party enjoys staying here, hence the return visits. One small downside is that it tends to be noisy at night due to its central location. Car parking on site is a great bonus.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks Sam, we are delighted that you come back to us every year - has it really been 12 years now, how time flies. There is such a choice of accommodation in Edinburgh - you must sometimes consider tying something new for a change and I am personally honoured that you have stayed loyal to us. We truly appreciate that loyalty and as always, encourage you to get your booking in for next year early. Best regards, Colin

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our third stay and once again it was exceptional. All of the staff could not be more helpful, the apartment facilities first class and perfectly placed for exploring Edinburgh.

Near by supermarket was useful for stocking up on essentials and public transport links nearby meant we could leave the car in the car park most of the time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for this review and for being a loyal customer. He hope to see you again soon. Best regards, Colin

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Excellent location close to the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, Grassmarket etc. The perfect spot for the Royal Military Tattoo and the Fringe Festival. Staff were the most hospitable and welcoming we've encountered at any hotel - terrific! Apartment was very roomy, well equipped and clean. The breakfast arrival package was perfect, so great to arrive and have fresh milk and bread. Kids loved the DVD library. Beds were comfortable and although right in the city it was very quiet. Only regret was that we couldn't stay longer. Would definately recommend this property to anyone traveling to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

"Staff were the most hospitable and welcoming we've encountered in any hotel..." I love that. Many, many thanks. Best regards, Colin & The Knight Residence team.