“Wonderful Old World Charm Channings”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 May 2011

In Edinburgh for just a few days, Channings is tucked down a delightful cobbled road quiet yet close enough to get into town, a 10 min walk at the most.

Channings is a delightful boutique hotel in a wonderful old building. Service is excellent in all areas of the hotel, housekeeping, reception, concierge, bar and breakfast room. Quality of food at breakfast was superb, a wide range of items for continental and the full cooked offered everything you could want. The only evening we ate in the hotel was at the bar and I have to say the fish pie was very tasty.

We stayed in room number 25 which is right by the entrance door to the floor from the stairwell but I did not hear any noise during the night, just the occasional soft foot fall along the landing, so just like being at home. This room is at the back of the house so overlooks the garden which is small with a patio area.

The bedroom had a lovely large bed, huge window and the bedding was brilliant, a double bed but with single duvets so no more cold spots for anyone :0) duvet and pillows were goosedown and very warm, bed very comfy. The bathroom was huge and had a nice shower.

Have to comment the toilets in the bar area has Molten Brown handcreme and soap and in the rooms it was White Label products, all very nice.

All in all a very pleasant stay and would love to come and stay here again, would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KikiBNZ
GeneralManager12, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and the team helped to make it a memorable one.

I hope we may be able to welcome you back in the near future.

998 - 1,004 of 1,322 reviews

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed in this hotel from the 30th April - 2nd May this was our first visit to edingburgh and we were not disappointed its a beautiful city. Our room was on the ground fioor rm 3 it was a nice room bit we would have preferred a room with a view as we were looking out onto a flat roof. The staff were very nice as was the food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor at the front
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dolly020

I would like to thank you for the time to give feedback on your experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that your room did not supply the best views of Edinburgh however I am pleased this did not deter from your enjoyment that Edinburgh can offer. Channings rooms are all individual, infact no two rooms the same, which can be challenging in itself. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. If you are are planning a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely,

Your sincerely

Reviewed 22 April 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying in Channings before, on this occasion I, and a few friends, had lunch. Although our booking was last-minute, as usual we were treated as important guests, with the young and friendly staff tending to our every needs with care and discretion. The food was lovely and beautifully served in a room full of character.
It is worth going to Edinburgh just to visit Channings.
Top marks to management.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time to give feedback of your experience at Channings. We value all our feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed your visit so much.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed at the Channings during our stay at Edinburgh, and found the hotel to be excellent, and exceeding our expectations. We had one of the newly renovated Shackleton Rooms, which was spacious, with an equally large bathroom. Everything seemed fresh and new. The staff at the hotel were very understanding, knowledgable, and went beyond their duties to help us. The only minor disadvantage is the not so central location, but still in a nice upmarket neighbourhoof, just a 15min walk from the core of the New Town.

Room Tip: Reserva a newly renovated Shackleton room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank greece4ever

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for you feedback which is very important to us. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience and the team helped to make it an memorable one.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

Boutique hotel? Channings looks great from the outside and the lobby area is very attractive. The staff on reception are very helpful but, when going up the stairs to the rooms, it is obvious that a refurb is due and things are a little shabby round the edges. That doesn't really matter but, after having found homes for all my belongings, I tried to run a bath only to find that the water was lukewarm. The staff tried to fix it but we had to change rooms in the end and I was, in fact, given a better room. So far, so good.

What let Channings down was the breakfast experience. Having found the dining room through luck, I found a table as no-one was available to greet. I got myself a watery fruit juice and took a look at the almost empty and pretty unappetising bits of fruit left out and decided not to bother. After a 10 minute wait, I was eventually offered a coffee (which was never topped up). Another 10 minutes passed before my breakfast order was taken, then the toast arrived - but there was no butter on the table. 3 couples who arrived after me were served before me, despite me mentioning that I had to leave at a particular time. The staff are well meaning but understaffed and not well trained. It was difficult to get eye contact with them as they were rushing around so much.

The next morning was a little better but I decided after that to eat breakfast at a local cafe - it was much better!

This was not what I call a boutique hotel experience!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience. I am very disappointment with the issues your experience, particularily during breakfast.

I do prefer not respond with excuses as our guest expect a certain level of service with clearly did not happen in certain areas. The breakfast experience is certainly not our usual standard and I would like to extend my sincere apologies.

With regards to the bedrooms I can agree they are at different stages with regards to refurbishment and a refurbishment plan is in place to rectified certain aspects, which does remain ongoing.

I do hope we may be able to welcome you back to be able to give you the 'true Channings experience'. If so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

I was travelling with my husband and 80 year old father for a short visit to Edinburgh and was initially delighted when we checked in. A beautiful reception area, lovely fire and helpful staff. A tiny lift (only large enough for three) took us up to the rooms but we discovered there was no lift to the basement where the restaurant/bar was located. My father has serious mobility problems and had great difficulty negotiating the very steep staircase. Downstairs the bar area was like a bad day in the roughest boozer in town. Cheap wooden chairs; tears in the bar stools and children running about screaming made the experience unpleasant but the price of drink at £5 for a whisky made us move elsewhere. The rooms were small (even though we upgraded to superior) but the views were lovely. No bottled water in the room and the bathroom could have done with a good clean. A large pubic hair adorned the bath and the tiles at the side hadn't been cleaned lately.. Each duvet had a dirty mark in the underside but as it will well after midnight before we staggered back we couldn't be bothered to ask for a change. Breakfast was good but a pot of coffee rather than a large camping style flask would have been more acceptable. Not a bad hotel, but not the best either.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank karynArmagh
Reviewed 27 February 2011

This was my second time in Edinburgh having previously stayed at The Howard and I have tried not to compare with my experience there as this was a (I think) a different star rating. First impressions of Channings are excellent the greeting at Reception is lovely and all the public areas are well furnished and in keeping with the overall atmosphere of the hotel. Our room was perfectly adequate in size for our one night stay and was very clean. There were just a few minor issues which I think had we have been staying longer would have needed to be addressed - pillows were very uncomfortable, there was no bottled water in the room at all (there was tea and coffee making) and any room service attracted a £4.50 tray charge which would have appeared to make a call for water relatively expensive, shower was over bath rather than separate cubicle. Also I would have to say that other reviewers that could walk to Princes Street in 10 minutes must have been jogging ! The walk is mainly uphill and a more realistic time is probably nearer 20 to 25 mins. As I said we only stayed for one night and in terms of the rate we payed for the room this was good value - however if this had been a luxury or special break I don't think Channings would have fitted the bill.

• Stayed: February 2011