“Classy, Friendly, and Warm Atmosphere”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed at Channings with friends and loved it! The staff were extra polite and very helpful. The rooms were beautiful, classic and very clean. Breakfasts were delicious! The bar was perfect and casual. Nice quiet neighborhood with access to buses and restaurants.
We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

I was vacationing in Scotland with a group of six women, and the Channings Hotel was our first stop after a long day of travel. Scott Keenan, the concierge, and the entire staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful. In the three days we were in Edinburgh, they met all of our needs and helped us in every way possible. The rooms were lovely and the breakfast was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel. I would point out, however, that it is not particularly close to the Royal Mile if that makes any difference to you.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

Channings has an aura of calm - comfortable rooms nicely decorated without being stuffy and the service is the same. Staff couldn't do enough for us, were friendly but entirely professional. It is refreshing to find mostly young staff who have obviously been very well trained and deliver service of a high standard.

2  Thank jane_fenwick
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed at Channings as a bit of a treat for myself having been made redundant. I paid about £100 per night through Hotels Direct. I was amazed to walk into a beautifully presented room with 4 poster bed, plenty of space and the biggest bath / shower combination i have seen. The staff were very helpful and always polite- especially when i lost my keys and the maintenance man had to break into my case!

I didn't have the full scottish breakfast but that was my choice, it looked nice if you like cooked breakfasts. I didn't eat in the restaurent as i had stuff to do on the evenings but the menu looked good and i did have a very decent sandwich from room service.
From what i could see, the rest of the hotel looked well cared for and clean.

Channings is particuarly well positioned if you want to visit the Dean Gallery and the Museum of Modern Art (both highly recommended. There is also a nice walk from the latter along the waters of Leith with Antony Gormley scupltures within the river. It takes about 10 minutes to walk into the west end of town. i also recommend the production of Dunsinane at the Lyceum which was excellent. It is a very quiet area, there is a Waitrose 10 minutes away. I had a ground floor, front facing room and had no issues with noise at all.
I stayed at the Glasshouse last time which was not as friendly, more expensive, very noisy (room at the front), and a bit of style over substance- much preferred Channings.

I am hoping to go back again for another treat soon now that i have been offered another job!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Great hotel, only a 10-15 minute walk to the centre of town. What really sets this hotel apart is the staff. From the receptionist to the waiters to the concierge – they all made us feel so welcome. The concierge personally showed us to our room and when he found out we were running the marathon the next day recommended a great Italian restaurant to load up on carbs and offered to book this for us. One of the other members of staff even tracked down a marker pen for me and offered to help me write my name on my running vest!

Our room was pretty small but had everything we needed. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and the shower powerful. The day we ran the marathon we had to leave the hotel very early so were going to miss breakfast. We asked at reception and they said we could just let them know what we wanted and what time we needed it and they would deliver it to our room. They arrived with everything we asked at exactly the right time the next morning.

After our second night we got to sample their full Scottish breakfast which was served in the dining room. This was great, and again service impeccable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2011

My sister and I spent a delightful week at the Channings Hotel and found it to be safe, comfortable, welcoming and relaxing. It's away from the hustle and bustle of the city of Edinburgh but an easy walk or cab ride away. It's a quiet place with a welcoming, friendly and helpful staff. Scott Keenan is a concierge extraordinaire! He answered many questions ahead of our visit and was invaluable in helping us "see" the city and have a most rewarding and fun vacation. I would go back and stay at the Channings in a heartbeat!

Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Anglotripper
GeneralManager12, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am delighted to hear the team look after you so well and help to make your stay a special one.

We hope to be able to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Ngaire Stanaway

Reviewed 8 May 2011

In Edinburgh for just a few days, Channings is tucked down a delightful cobbled road quiet yet close enough to get into town, a 10 min walk at the most.

Channings is a delightful boutique hotel in a wonderful old building. Service is excellent in all areas of the hotel, housekeeping, reception, concierge, bar and breakfast room. Quality of food at breakfast was superb, a wide range of items for continental and the full cooked offered everything you could want. The only evening we ate in the hotel was at the bar and I have to say the fish pie was very tasty.

We stayed in room number 25 which is right by the entrance door to the floor from the stairwell but I did not hear any noise during the night, just the occasional soft foot fall along the landing, so just like being at home. This room is at the back of the house so overlooks the garden which is small with a patio area.

The bedroom had a lovely large bed, huge window and the bedding was brilliant, a double bed but with single duvets so no more cold spots for anyone :0) duvet and pillows were goosedown and very warm, bed very comfy. The bathroom was huge and had a nice shower.

Have to comment the toilets in the bar area has Molten Brown handcreme and soap and in the rooms it was White Label products, all very nice.

All in all a very pleasant stay and would love to come and stay here again, would highly recommend to anyone.

1  Thank KikiBNZ
GeneralManager12, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and the team helped to make it a memorable one.

I hope we may be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely