“Hotel was fine but did not match photos online plus other claims”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #43 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I love a deal, and when I get a deal plus a whole lot of great reviews for a hotel, I don't hesitate to book it. The Channings in Edingburgh gets wonderful reviews. My impression: the hotel was just ok.
The Channings is located in Edingburgh's West End. Only a short walk from the main attractions, but still in a quiet and nice neighborhood. We drove and the hotel has only street parking, which is paid during the day. So, if you are not there during the day to feed the meter you have to pay the hotel to issue you a permit. After making sure that this was settled, we had dinner at the restaurant. Excellent food, good prices, wonderful service. I think the hotel description called for nice views from the restaurant, but there are none. The restaurant is in the basement. The breakfast is also there. All the usual parts of an English breakfast, plus fruit, cereal, etc.
My biggest issue was when we asked the front desk for a room for a second night. They gave us a rate over double the price we had booked the original reservation for. Did not leave any room for negotiating, which I found odd since it would have been easier for them to leave us in the room we had than to get a new person in. Anyway, we left and moved to another hotel.
P.S. The bathroom toiletaries are not Molton Brown and the rooms, although vintage and large, are not anything like the photos online.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Excellent in almost all respects. Breakfast room and bar, however, are a bit too primitive to match the traditional style of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I booked with Channing's back in March or April with the intention of traveling to Edinburgh to propose to my girlfriend. Scott the concierge was extremely helpful with not only getting a good deal sorted for a room, rose petals, bouquet of flowers, champagne and chocolates plus breakfast but he also gave me recommendations for places to enjoy a meal, drinks and potential areas for proposing. All in all Scott's help was priceless and I credit him for helping me prepare things smoothly.

Just because I am singing Scott's praises does not take away from the rest of the Channing's team. They were more than happy to accommodate my every need and the room service was very quick. The location of the hotel was superb as well. Only a 15 minute walk from the town centre and based on a quiet side street so you're not affected by the noise of the city.

We will undoubtedly visit Edinburgh again and I will be making sure we book with Channing's again for an unforgettable experience. My partner and I will always remember our engagement weekend in Edinburgh and will forever have fond memories of the way we were treated at Channing's. Great customer service and a brilliant location!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Nice location, good service but the room was in a bad state - broken/ damaged furniture, shower was very weak and no aircon (not normally a problem in Edinburgh!). Having read the reviews I was expecting better... perhaps the other rooms are better? Our room was No 53.

I know some people on here like to moan about nothing, but Im not one that does. This place has the potential to be a great hotel if they invest some money in refurbishing some of their rooms. I was here on business but would have been dissappointed if I was paying the £130 out of my own pocket.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank GezBerks
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Spent 2 nights in The Channings hotel. The hotel was very easy to find, only a short bus journey from princes street and not too far from Murrayfield either.

The room was beautifully decorated, very spacious and clean. I enjoyed that the hotel did not go for a bland decor as many hotels do and instead felt very cosey and full of character.

The staff were very friendly and helpful! I will definitely be recommending this hotel to my friends and hope 2 stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Good location on a quiet street facing a park. Short walk to bus stops and 20 minute walk to center of town and to Royal Botanical Garden (in opposite directions). Staff, very helpful, good restaurant on site. Hotel was former home of Arctic explorer, Shackelton so the rooms are decorated with photos of his expedition. Unusual but really interesting decor. Huge soaking tub in the bathrooms, very comfortable beds, excellent service.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have great view of the city