“Quiet and friendly”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Very glad we opted to stay at Channings having considered a few more central hotels. It's clean, quiet and in a beautiful area that we would not otherwise have explored. We found ourselves taking a taxi a couple of times but mostly enjoyed the walk into the town centre.

Room Tip: No 53 was nice - it's at the back on the top floor and has a bay window so is a little more spac...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Tall, light haired fellow who brought our bags to our rooms was extremely professional and helpful, with great suggestions for our stay. Room 33 was quite nice with a lovely garden view, terrific bathroom, plenty of light & pants press! The only downside was that the bed was a little hard. Room 47 was not a good take - small, uncomfortable (stiff) beds, lack of ventilation, should have a fan handy (even with windows open there wasn't any air). Upside was another lovely garden view. Otherwise, the hotel itself is very quiet, the public rooms are quite nice, breakfast provided a good selection of both cold and hot offerings.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We were here for a wedding and feel in love with this place. Staff cannot do enough for you. The rooms are gorgeous. We were near the top and the view from our window was amazing. Easy access to the town by bus or if you need exercise after the good food maybe a walk into town.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I booked our weekend break based purely on the reviews I read on here and was not disappointed, my only regret was only staying for 2 nights. We stayed in room 53 which was lovely and spotless and the bathroom was enormous. It is only a 10-15 minute walk into the centre and is in such a peaceful location. Breakfast was great and so was the service. As was the service in the bar and the meal we ate in there on our first evening there. All the staff were so friendly and efficient especailly from housekeeping who had done our room when we returned from breakfast. Would certainly recommend to anyone visiting Edinburgh and looking forward to returning one day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary in Edinburgh. Got room upgrade to superior room which was lovely and bathroom huge! Staff were friendly and most helpful. About 10 minutes walk from Princes Street so easily accessible even though hotel in quiet area. Breakfast was ok. Did have evening meal in bar and food was wonderful. totally enjoyed our stay and would hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is my first review on Trip Advisor and although I travel the world for a living and am in the hospitality industry myself, for the first time I felt compelled to actually write a comment about a hotel where I’ve stayed in.

Indeed the property is a very pleasant place to be, with a quaint and classy ‘’old world gentlemen’s club’’ feel to in. It is an old set of buildings (and home of the famous South Pole explorer Ernest Shackleton in the 1900’s) and therefore one would expect it to be worn out and tired, but all the public spaces, as well as the rooms – I’ve stayed in room 55, which has a lovely view to the front garden and the rooftops across the residential neighbourhood – are very well appointed and maintained.

However pleasant and full of character as the property itself may be, what really stands out is the staff. Like I said, I stay in all kind of hotels all the time (staid at Saint Regis, New York two weeks before my stay at Channings) and must say that the staff here is first rate, specially Scott the concierge and Mario at reception. I arrived at the hotel around noon to check in. I was warmly welcomed at the door by Scott, who immediately offered to carry my bags. The check in process was possibly the best that I have ever experienced, where Mario went through the required process swiftly and flawlessly, and always with a friendliness and know-how attitude characteristic of professionals that aren’t doing ‘’just a job’’.

The breakfast team – and the breakfast itself – were excellent too. A special thanks to Lisa, who made sure that I never ran out of coffee and kept on checking to see if I had everything I needed.

The hotel is strategically located in a peaceful residential area nearby Stockbridge and a 15 minutes walk from Princes Street (West End), which is ideal for those who want to get away from the hussle and bussle of the city center .

All in all, the whole experience was far better than most 5 starred hotels where I’ve stayed so far and I would like to thank the staff at Channings ever so much for it. And I certainly would stay here again should I return to Edinburgh in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Ngaire_Stanaway, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Thank you for your review and we do appreciate the time taken to provide us with such kind comments - particularly towards the team at Channings. It is so rewarding for them to receive such positive comments not only with regards to the 'service' that they provided but how it genuinely was received - thank you.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just returned from weekend in Edinburgh to watch our son run in the marathon and stayed at Channings.
We were given a very warm welcome on our arrival and our room had been upgraded to a superior room which was lovely. It was quiet and comfortable.
Nothing was too much trouble and we found Scott exceptionally friendly and helpful,as were the rest of the front of house staff.
It is located in a quiet cobbled side road and is an easy ten minute stroll to Princes Street, which means it is away from the noise and traffic. We had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. It is so rewarding for the team to receive such positive feedback and it is very much appreciated.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Channings in the near future.