“Second Time Trip”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This is the second stay here, and each time it's been perfect. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed, although I preferred the view out the front the first time rather than the back of the hotel. The stay on reception and at breakfast are helpful and friendly, and this time I eat in the restuarant. The food was better than the usual hotel standard by a long way and very reasonably priced. My only complaint was that the shower in the bathroom was a bit feeble.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Normally we like to stay close to all the attractions, but chose this one because of the great reviews. It met all our expectations. This hotel was away from the downtown area about a 10 to 15 minute walk. It was in a quiet neighborhood and the walk downtown was refreshing. The hotel was quaint with many common area rooms decorated with antique furniture for relaxing. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a breakfast included which made it great for starting your day. They also have free access to a computer for the guests. If you don't want to venture out at night for dinner, there is a restaurant and bar in the hotel which was quite good. I would definitely stay at the Channings again if I'm back in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street (front of hotel) have a nice view of Edinburgh.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is a lovely understated hotel on a residential street in the Old town of Edinburgh. I was slightly nervous being given a basement room but it was large, exceptionally clean, and the Whirpool bath was a pleasant surprise.

The staff were friendly and the whole ambience was relaxing and service driven. Breakfast was fab - nice cold buffet with a freshly cooked Scottish hot breakfast served on a nice hot plate. I would have easily given it 5 stars but there were a few niggles that let the overall experience down:

1), The room was quite cold as the heating was switched off during the day. The bathroom never really warmed up. The breakfast room was icy cold and actually rather uncomfortable to sit in for too long.

2). The king size bed was made of two single beds with two mattressess and two single duvets - this was a bit disappointing.

3). The communal areas near reception were full of comfy furniture - sofas and chairs - but all the time I was there nobody was using them which made it feel rather empty; the bar, which was quite busy, had uncomfortable chairs which you didnt want to sit on for too long. Why not re-arrange things so the communal areas are more appealing and better used - seems a waste of space to me.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2012

What a lovely stay, from checking in to checking out, I've enjoyed this warm and lovely Scottish sense of hospitality.
Some negative points.

2 single duvets( quite annoying)
You can sometimes hear your neighbour's TV

Least but not last... This grey hair mean manager or acting such at breakfast.... No a please, no a thank you very rude and snobby. I also work in a customer service based environment and I would not in million years give such a service. Rudeness and being bother to serve you should make you think twice about the job you wan to do

However on a other note, all girls at breakfast were kind and happy to help.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

The room that we had was 68 and it was just fab, food very good the whole experience was good.
The conservatory where we had breakfast was a bit chilly could have done with some. Heating. Reception was lovely with log fires,

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Had a really lovely long weekend at Channings. Perfect stay. The restaurant was superb and the bar meal we had on the last night was excellent also. Staff all helpful and friendly.
The location is very good - took us just over 10 minutes to walk to the end of Princes Street. Yes the location of the hotal is nice and quiet. It's also a short walk north to the Botanical Gardens.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I booked Channings for a weekend away with my wife for our anniversary.

I had organised a nice meal out followed by tickets to see Phantom of the Opera at the playhouse and was looking for somewhere to stay to round off the night.

I came across Channings via a friend who had recommended it, and after having a look over the website was very intrigued and booked.

We stayed in one of the Junior suites on the top floor and everything was just perfect. As soon as we got there we were warmly welcomed by the staff who after checking us in then showed us to the room.

The hotel on arrival from the outside looks quite small when inside was very impressed with its size, it is I believe set across 4 or 5 townhouses in the old west end of town. The reception is welcoming and spacious so you have a kind of sense of home from home, which is nice so many hotels just feel like you are just another guest but at Channings it felt like you were going to stay with friends by the nice lounge as you walk in and a quaint reception area.

The room itself as mentioned was on the top floor and was very nice (I believe we were in the Discovery Suite). The room was very spacious and very well decorated, also a lovely temperature as we went in, too many other hotels that I have stayed in seem very cold when you walked in but this was perfect. The bathroom was a full length wet room with a gorgeous self standing bath at one end and a shower area at the other. Both of which we tried out and both of which were lovely.

After going out to the show and on coming back we were again welcomed by the night staff, saw ourselves to bed and retired for the evening. Wanting a lazy Sunday morning we decided to opt for Breakfast in bed. We were not disappointed, it was out of this world!! Having stayed in many hotels I was not expecting much just a standard breakfast but I was very pleasantly surprised. Breakfast was just amazing, ( we had not had our dinner at Channings the previous night but on reflection of breakfast will certainly be dining there the next time we stay) We both had the full scottish and I opted for Smoked Salmon with Scrambled Eggs it was out of this world, as was the Black Pudding which I would HIGHLY recommend.

Overall nothing I can fault about the hotel felt very comfortable here, a real home from home and a staff to be very proud of. 11/10 for sure and will be looking forward to staying again in the hopefully not too distant future!!

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are gorgeous if available!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KeithMorrellPhoto
Ngaire_Stanaway, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank you for your extensive review which was much appreciated. We are delighted your enjoyed your stay with us and the team looked after so well. I can assure you they are all delighted with the 11/10 score!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.