“Another great stay”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Whenever I travel to Edinburgh on business, I always try to stay at Channings. Never been disappointed yet and I've stayed in a variety of rooms in the hotel over the past seven years, the latest being the Quest room, quality accommodation. So the floorboards squeaked a bit, who cares, it's an old building!

Travelled with two colleagues this time and stayed for three nights at the end of last month; their rooms were just as good.

The staff were great, very friendly and professional as always. Food in the hotel is extremely good and I do like the choice of hot options at breakfast if you don't want to go for a full Scottish.

For me, the hotel's location is one of its big plus points, set as it is in a quiet residential area. So what if it takes fifteen minutes to walk to Princes Street etc., the exercise is good for you and besides the walk back is all downhill.

Room Tip: Try one of the Shackleton rooms on the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed at Channings 7-10th of March to celebrate my partners 40th and to watch the Scotland Wales rugby.
I chose Channings as given it was a rugby weekend Edinburgh hotel prices were vastly inflated, and although Channings too was very pricey I hoped given its reviews it would be worth it.
On arrival we were impressed. Lovely town house facade and spacious well appointed lobby area. Check in was swift and we were allocated room 51. The room I found merely average and not worthy of a 4 star rating. The size was adequate, but when I book a double room I do not expect single beds that are zipped together and most definitely not 2 single duvets! The walls are scuffed and the soft furnishings in need of reupholstering . The lighting is laughable. There is no central light, only lamps which are not sufficient, and if you turn the master light switch off you cannot turn the bathroom light on (so at night it is a joke). The bed was at least comfortable and the room clean.
Breakfast is tasty, I was very pleased to see a cooked vegetarian option which was delicious - compliments to the chef.
One evening we ate at the bar, the food there was also very good.
On our last evening we decided to go to the bar for cocktails as it was my partners birthday. The cocktails were very disappointing, who makes a raspberry daiquiri with jam? Channings do. To add to my annoyance over cocktails a wedding party was in and ruined the atmosphere as they were loud and raucous - not quite what I was after.
On a separate note a family member contacted the hotel to let them know it was my partners birthday, the staff member they spoke to said they would make sure he was greeted with a happy birthday (surely not much to ask) but this did not happen .
Overall the location is fine, communal areas pretty, breakfast good and staff pleasant but the room was not anywhere near as good as I'd expect and the cocktails and atmosphere in the bar (thanks to a wedding) not what I'd expect.
I very much liked Edinburgh and will return in the summer but I very much doubt I will choose channings again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank bluebird81
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at Channings. We were given room 3 which is off the main reception area. The room faces the rear of the hotel and is above the restaurant/bar area and there is a kitchen extractor fan which is directly outside the bedroom window. I asked the receptionist if the fan would present a problem as it seemed to be quite noisy and I was concerned as we were staying 2 nights, (we would have preferred to move rooms at that point), but rather than moving us he assured me that it would be switched off at 10pm. We were out until late on saturday night and when we returned it was off but it then woke us up at 6am on sunday morning. I expressed concern again and once again assured all would be well. Unfortunately it stayed on until almost 1am and came on again at 5am. The room was hot and stuffy but we could not open the window because of the noise of the fan so we are absolutely shattered as we had a terrible time trying to sleep. The room itself was shabby to say the least, the paintwork around the window area was terribly chipped and the furniture old and scratched. There were two single beds pushed together to make a double but there were two single duvets instead of a double. The bathroom has seen better days too, as the shower head was coming away from the wall, the grout was broken and absolutely filthy with mould, the bath sealant broken and coming away from the tiles. Most of the reviews here are positive about the hotel so we were really surprised as to the obvious lack of maintenance in the room.
We also found that the downstairs bar area was tired and dated and some of the chairs look so old with filthy armrests that they should be replaced. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone as parts of it are in dire need of a makeover, although the reception area does look as if it has been upgraded.

Room Tip: Not room 3
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christine D
Ngaire_Stanaway, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your feedback about your experience. I have looked into the issues raised and I can only apologise for the disturbance you faced during your time with us. The fan noise experienced is our flue dilution fan from our boilers house that runs in conjunction with our heating and hot water times. This issue will be addressed further to ascertain if you we have a underlying problem with our timing switch with regards to this fan as it certainly should not be heard after 12pm or affect any guest sleep. I do understand your frustrations and I am sorry our offer to move rooms after your first night was too late a gesture.

We have a continual refurbishment programme and there are certain rooms that we are hoping to attend to later this year. I agree room 3 would benefit from some refurbishment; however some issues should have been and will be urgently looked into by our in house maintenance team. With regards to our bedrooms many of our rooms have a zip and link facility to accommodate a twin dimension and they are supplied with two single duvets, however double duvets are available on request.

I do appreciate the time taken to supply us with your invaluable feedback to ensure issues are not only rectified but lessons can be learnt to avoid similar situations. If you would like to discuss any points further I would be happy to do so and can be contacted through the main reception on 0131 315 2226.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

>Like just about everyone writing reviews about Channings my wife and I loved it. Super clean, warm on cold nights, great breakfasts, great staff and a connection to Ernest Shackleton, the Antartic explorer.

Although the hotel is in a good central lcation be aware that it is a 15 minute, mainly uphill, walk to the West end of Princes Street, and a further 10-15 minutes uphill to the Royal Mile.

We stayed here for 4 nights

My only recommendation to management would be to improve the lighting in the bedroom as it is difficult to read with the current lighting.

Room Tip: Room 51 was very nice, but is on the second floor and the lift is slow to arrive.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We will certainly look into the lighting in Room 51 - thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

The staff are friendly and welcoming. It is in a good position, if a little away from the very centre. In a lovely area of the city. With comfortable rooms and a beautiful reception area and lounge, with leather arm-charis, and a feel like a country house. What more would you want?

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

The Stockbridge area is certainly a lovely part of Edinburgh and we are pleased you were able to enjoy it.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Was upgraded to suite, don't pay for parking on saturday, and its a short walk to centre of edinburgh.great place to stay after a night out as you get a great sleep with no noise from partygoers still roaming the main streets looking for more fun.

• Stayed: February 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and we hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I've previously posted that i wouldn't stay anywhere else in edinburgh, that might still be the case but in future I would look elsewhwere.
I booked a suite for my wife an I and was allocated the nimrod room, last years our friends had the same room and it was immaculate. Unfortunately i cant say the same this year. The walls were all marked, scuffed, the paint works yellow, one of the blinds in the bathroom was ripped plus the raidiator needs bleeding. Pillows are an entirely personal thing but i did request 4 firm pillows and my booking which was ignored. I then requested 4 from the housekeeper who left 4 even softer ones.
I also appreciate its an old building but the squeaky floorboards require urgent attention.
What makes it, the bathrooms are superb, the staff are great (with the exception of 1 who will remain nameless but a smile is all it takes), plus the risotto in the room service was exceptional
I think this is about our 5th stay at the channings and this time i could see a deterioration in standards. Such a shame as its a beautiful hotel

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simpsb1

Thank you for your feedback and we are disappointed you felt that it was not up to the standard of your previous stays. We do continue to have a refurbishment programme in place however certain aspects will be rectified by our in house maintenance team.

We are delighted you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings and the team look after you well.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.