“Fantastic hotel!”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My 10-year-old daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and loved it! This hotel has old-fashioned charm and beauty. Clearly the management knows what staying in a hotel should be like, right down to the "personalized" welcome note we received at our room upon arrival. We loved the decor, curtains, soft bedding, and the over-sized bathroom (biggest I've seen in a hotel in a long time), complete with full-sized bathtub. The hotel is a little bit of walk from the center of town (about 10 minutes or so) and took us a while to find, but its location lends itself to being quieter and away from the city congestion. Every taxi driver knew where it was, so that wasn't a problem. The lobby was very comfortable and even had a chess set (enjoyed by my daughter), and the hotel staff was very helpful with all of our requests. The breakfast buffet was included and had all the usual items - cereals, fruits, toast, and hot meals to order. We were more than pleased and would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Stayed here with my 19 year old daughter for two nights just before Easter. Small hotel situated in residential area about 15 minutes walk to Princes Street - we walked it a couple of times but on one of the days we got a bus at the end of the street - daily bus ticket (£3.50 each) which covers unlimited travel on Lothian buses. Room was probably one of the largest we've ever stayed in and the bathroom was massive. Complimentary toiletries gorgeous and breakfast also top class. We ate in the hotel on one of the nights and the food was also wonderful and very reasonable. When we arrived home we realised that my daughter had left her mobile phone charger in the bedroom. When I phoned the hotel they were able to confirm they had it and promptly posted it back to me for a small charge. Would definitely stay here again next time we are in Edinburgh!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonra
Reviewed 8 April 2013

A well kept secret indeed, five star accommodation and food in my view, and I have stayed in many hotels all over the world good bad and indifferent

Boutique style luxury fluffy towels and comfy beds friendly staff and great food

Highly recommended to all for business or pleasure

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Several old Georgian houses renovated into one hotel. Just adorable. The room was small but adequate with a pretty decent bathroom/shower. I had a really good night's sleep here as the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Breakfast was served in the Conservatory which I loved the sound of. Oddly, this room appeared newer and the Scottish Breakfast was just OK. Don't rush at checkout as it might take a while. Luckily I had some flexibility with my first appt. of the day. The staff were very calm and helpful. Can't beat the rate at £74 and I would go back.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Aukgalgg
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Hotel was small but elegantly decorated. Located on a quiet street off the main avenues, and next to beautiful greeneries and gardens. Staff were courteous and were very accommodating to our every request. Breakfast was ok, the usual selection of fruits and baked goodies. All in all a very pleasant experience. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rafael_Mendoza
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I've been in Edimburgh, in March, for the first time. My first choice's for an hotel, does not included Channings Hotel but, at that weekend, Scotland played against Wales, in rugby, and the other hotels were completly full. The travel agency recommend me the Channings Hotel and i liked it, i did like it very much. It's very cosy, the rooms are fair, the hotel seems a private house, because it's located in a residencial area, the people at the front desk are very kind and helpfull.
It is not in the center, but you can walk 20 minutes, or take a bus to the center. There are a lot of buses, it cost 1.40£ per person, ( a taxi is 6 or 7 £ ) and in 5 minutes you are in the middle of everything. I don't eat very much in the morning, but the breakfast can be the poorest thing in the hotel. We take a dinner one night at the hotel, and it was very good.
I recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in the week before Easter, booked purely based on looks and reviews on TA so thanks ladies and gentlemen for that.
Its a terrific hotel and whilst it might not be right in the centre (mile and a half away) its easily reachable using the excellent Lothian Bus service and its not that far to walk really (all downhill). Seems to be a few people complaining about the lights in the rooms, found that a bit daft to be honest. We had about 5 lamps all around and they worked a treat, its an old building which would be totally ruined by modern lighting anyway. The lamps did what was required and we were not in the room that much, we were out and about.
Room was very comfortable and while the shower is not a power shower, it cleans just as good and is very warm. Standard double (Room 54) has a massive bed which was very comfy and excellent tea and coffee making facilities (compared to others we stay in, they know who they are). Staff very friendly, on reception and in the breakfast room., The common areas are very cosy and the breakfast served in the conservatory was great. Cooked breakfast enjoyed by Mrs C whilst i went foraging for berries with me weetabox (three in one go).
Cant find anything to fault about the place, one of the best we've stayed in and a perfect fit for a few days in a great city.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple