“Charming and Convenient”

Ranked #39 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bend, Oregon
“Charming and Convenient”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I chose this hotel based on reviews, and because I wanted a more traditional, boutique experience rather than a large hotel. My niece and I shared a twin room that looked out over the street, which is directly across from a private park. The view from our bay window was lovely. The street is not traveled much so it was very quiet. (also easy to park on if necessary). The hotel is actually six older townhomes converted to a single hotel. So don't expect big hotel features. The stairway down the back is a bit crowded and opens onto a meeting room, so if a meeting is in progress, you have to travel back up. Best to use the small but very serviceable lift. Otherwise this hotel met every expectation. The service could not have been better. Even to them delivering ice when we just asked where the icemaker was. We enjoyed both room service and the dining room and they were equally nice. Gourmet quality food and very nice service, though the restaurant is in the lower level so either a bit claustrophobic or cozy, depending on your mood. We found it cozy. And although the buildings are old and classic in style the bath was totally modern and offered lots of hot water and furnishings were luxurious. The front desk was excellent with suggestions for dining and making reservations, even getting us a car when requested, calling taxis. All superb. I highly recommend this hotel for someone wishing to avoid the big touristy hotels downtown. It is a bit of a distance to old town but a short cab ride and worth it to have quiet at night.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the street to enjoy views of the park.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Another superb review for Channing's and I must say a big thank you to this guest for taking the time to share what seems to have been such a wonderful experience with us. I was especially gratified to read their comments regarding the attentiveness of our staff, and I am looking forward to welcoming them again soon.
Leon Kiteley
General Manager - The Edinburgh Collection.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We are looking at hotels to accommodate our families for our upcoming wedding next year. Channings is perfectly located, only a 5 minute walk from our venue. We have now tried 3 times to speak with someone about negotiating a group booking for our families to stay, including on one occasion visiting the hotel to speak to someone face to face. On this occasion we were told by the man on the desk, who said he was a manager, that there were currently plenty of rooms but he was unable to take a booking. He offered no further explanation of assistance. We have subsequently tried contacting the hotel by email to see if anything can be arrange. Both times we have been totally ignored. My advice, stay in a hotel where they actually seem to care about your custom and leave this place well alone!

2 Thank Jonathan C
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
I am deeply concerned about this review - more specifically whether it is indeed genuine. Our central reservations have no unanswered emails, no team member is aware of any such failed communication and I certainly have never dealt with this potential guest. If this is a genuine complaint - I would urge the party to contact me immediately to discuss at leon.kiteley@theedinburghcollection.com
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel has a good pub in the basement which serves very tasty food - ( can highly recommend the fish pie!) If you are in the hotel from 7am (I'm normally gone by then) they serve up a very good breakfast too. The staff are extremely polite and the rooms have high ceilings and are very comfortable. It's located on a quiet, residential road which normally ensures a restful night (though Ive had one not so peaceful night here). The lift is amazingly small, so dont bring large bags however the porter will always help with these should you wish. Id recommend a stay here - the fixtures are a little old and tired but brings with it some charm and cosiness.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Another charming review for Channing's and my thanks to this guest, not just for taking the time to share their positive experiences, but for highlighting just how good our bar is; an area that is never mentioned enough in reviews.
east sussex
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I know a lot of people that stay here when in Edinburgh. They always speak highly of it so I was interested to stay there myself. A good experience which will result in me staying again. Bedrooms are very good as is the breakfast. Good staff

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Brownsville, Texas, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Received wonderful reception. Reception area quite nice. Check in process was easy. Breakfast was mediocre. Nothing great. Room was large and bathroom very nice. Had issue from the start with toilet flushing. Wasn't addressed until last day of stay. One evening could hear loud groaning noise in wall. Asked night manager to address it at 2 am as it was keeping us up. Manager extremely rude and said he could do nothing about it until engineer reported for duty at 7am next morning. He offered NO remedy. Kept us up ALL nite unable to wake up on time for touring appt. ruined our day in Edinburgh as we were exhausted. Never was apologized to or offered any explanation. As a matter of fact morning clerk chastised me for bringing it up the next morning. Said no one else in hotel had complained about the noise. His comment infuriated me. Even if one guest complains this should be enough for management to address issue. Would never stay here again. Too far out. Stay closer in town. Don't bother. Definitely NOT a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay closer into town. Don't bother staying here.
1 Thank Viveca S
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights in Room #62 "Quest", moved on for travels throughout Scotland for another 1 1/2 weeks and returned for 1 more night in Room 60 "Endurance". The staff was very delightful. We had AMAZING breakfasts (full Scottish as well as the continental). We needed to leave some luggage with the hotel for a few days while we flew over to Ireland and they did it at no additional charge. Our final flight home had us checking out at 4am and they had a breakfast ready for us to take with us. Excellent staff from the front desk all the way to the dining.

Only downside of the place was that it was a little bit of a walk each day into central Edinburgh but it was manageable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

For me the service that you recieve at a hotel is the most important aspect of the experience. Yes a comfy bed, choice of pillows, little chocolates on the pillow etc. help but when it comes to it I would rather forego the gimmicks and get well looked after. That's what I find Channings do, the people are great, couldn't help more (finding a member of staff with the same phone and giving me their charger, for example) and are always welcoming and friendly.
The beds are comfy, rooms fairly small but all in all I keep going back here when in Edin. and recommend it to colleagues and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business