Channings Hotel
US$613
US$129
US$125
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
Agoda.com
US$185
US$167
1,332 results
All reviewscity centrea quiet residential arearoll top bathlovely hotelminute walkprinces streetsuperior roomhuge bathroomstreet parkingfull scottish breakfastwest endtop floorbreakfast was deliciousfirst morningbreakfast roomlovely roomhaggis
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed at Channings edinburgh on 20May2014,upon arrival myself and partner was told parking in street was a £1·00 an hour and nearest free parking was a 5minute drive away.which is then a 20minute walk back to hotel.We checked into room 2on the ground floor,room was ok,nice bathroom though couldn't seem to get hot water out of the tap.Problem was in the morning their was a like a generator going off in the room when any other rooms were using their shower and the wall would vibrate,obviously old plumbing.We were told breakfast was till 10-30,arrived at 10-05 to be told breakfast finished at 10-00 and all that was left was cold buffet......when I questioned this was told chef wouldn't entertain us.Alas I think waiter took pity on us and got us what can only be described as dried left overs which we were left with no illusions that we had to hurry. At £109·00 a night I can only describe our stay as really disappointing.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at the Channings Hotel for 3 nights with 3 other couples who were all traveling together. The hotel is out side of the city center just far enough to be quiet and peaceful and close enough for an easy walk in. The lounge areas were comfortable and welcoming for our group to sit and chat and maybe share a pint! I would stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time and writing a review of Channigs on Trip Advisor. We are more than happy to see that you find our hotel easily accessible and welcoming. Thank you for highlighting the common areas of the hotel; we are very glad that you found them comfortable.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to our beautiful city!

Kind regards,
Leon Kiteley

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We first visited the Channings about seven or eight years ago, and apart from the room being a tad small were very impressed overall. However, we must say that out recent return was a disappointment. The room (26) was much larger, but the decor and fittings looked tired and shabby. Sideboards, cupboards and chairs were chipped and tired. the main table in the window was like something I'd buy at a car boot or auction - scratched and faded. Wallpaper was scratched and coloured in places.

The bed was really comfortable and we had a great night's sleep!

We arrived late so decided to have a drink in the bar and eat in the restaurant. The bar had apparently been re-furbished. But there were no photos or paintings on the wall so was totally soulless. The bar was trying to push itself as a cocktail bar. We had a lovely barmaid who tried the best she could - she had to make our cocktails for the very first time, having no training at all. As someone who has working in the hotel and catering trade for years, this is unforgivable for management to put an untrained employee to work with out adequate training. Especially when paying over £7.00 for a cocktail. We later on went to the Dome on George Street. Maybe the management of the Channings should go there to see how the professionals do it!

The food and wine were very good, but service was a bit inexperienced. The main problem was a total lack of atmosphere. Staff were, overall lovely and welcoming. Shame the management don't seem to care as much.

Overall, I felt the management has really let its eye off the ball. The biggest no no was to look out of my bedroom window to see staff sitting on the pavement outside supping mugs of coffee and smoking - an appalling let down from the hotel. There is a Travelodge around the corner. Next time we might go there. Sorry Channings, you've lost a customer!

Room Tip: Ask them when they are having a refurb and change of management
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Nice hotel, stayed with my sister, for a girlie break, but I have to agree with others it is looking a little tired, and definitely needs a new stair carpet, wouldn't like to catch it with high heeled shoes on, apart from that the room was comfortable, bathroom very nice, staff polite, breakfast was okish, but I am a very fussy person. A little far out of the city but not really a problem. Overall good.

Room Tip: The second floor garden facing nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Littlemeezer
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Ok you say tomato I say tomayto but channings hotel although is in close proximity to the city centre isn't city centre.
Look it's a four star no parking very formal, which is ok.
Rooms are nice, beds are big and comfy, rooms have all mod cons and free Wifi.
So here's the problem the prices of the food, the room service are pretty top heavy , I mean £4.50 just to run the sandwich to your room?
The food is ok , again slightly overpriced , IMO this will suit rich tourists and business men with expense budgets and couples ,we are 2 plus a baby and it's probably not best suited to us.
If costs is not an option it's fine but I think you can get better closer to the city centre .
Staff are nice and helpful
I'm not stupid if you book 4 star you should expect to pay 4 star I'm all for that, but comparably I think it's not great value for money.
But just my opinion happy trips peeps

• Stayed: May 2014