“Great hotel with great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Great hotel with great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were at the Channings Hotel on Fri 4th July for a wedding and I can honestly say that the staff were great, nothing was to much trouble for them. The rooms were also great especially ours which was right next to the bar (so not far to fall into bed, lol) and we also had a jacuzzi which was very nice. The breakfasts were a wee bit of a let down as my daughter put it (they have rubbery mushrooms and tomato sauce which was not Heinz) but my husband thought it was very tasty even without the Heinz sauce. I would like to mention Joe he was very friendly and always around when you needed him. Our stay could not have been better and everybody enjoyed themselves. A well deserved thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Annie,

I would like to express many thanks for this fantastic review. It is great to hear that you were impressed with our service staff, please be sure that I will pass your feedback to our team. I will also pass your notes about the breakfast to our chef, thank you for pointing that out.
I do hope that you and your family had a great time in Edinburgh and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My son and I stayed three nights in june, and we had a wonderfull stay. We had a suite on 2. floor overlooking the pretty surroundings. We found the hotel just perfect, and the staff were nice and attentive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Many thanks to this guest for the positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Really clean; all staff exceptionally friendly and accommodating; great view from bedroom window; delicious breakfast; good hot water; comfy, clean bed and sheets. I arrived late and staff went out of their way to ensure I got something to eat just as kitchen closing. Couldn't fault it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane467
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Jane,

Thank you for your pleasant review of Channings, I am very glad that you liked our hotel and our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Key West, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Initial appearance is that of several lovely old brownstones converted to a hotel. However Any nice external appearance soon vanishes. Floors squeak. Walls appear to be paper thin, hearing noises from adjacent room all night. Shower water temperature fluctuates from scalding to freezing every few seconds. The wifi disconnects every minute or so, requiring logging in again. The staff was quite pleasant and helpful, however.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhh53
Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

A great hotel!
The positives - nice size room, comfy bed, excellent service from staff, tasty breakfast and nice food/drinks from the bar downstairs. Also our 1 year old son was well accommodated.
The negatives - the room needed a lick of paint, just to bring it up to top standard. The hotel is a little walk out of town - although having said that, as long as the weather is nice, that's fine! Or you can get a bus! And finally, the gentleman taking breakfast orders seemed a bit forgetful on one of the days, forgetting toast, tea, water that we requested. However, otherwise breakfast was great.
All minor points though - Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking time in writing this review! We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and your rating. We do apologise for the one member of staff - it is not usual for our team to forget something! We hope that you will choose our accommodation in the future!

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Back for my 6th marathon and 5th stay at this lovely townhouse hotel. I called in advance and asked for the same room (nr.3) as 2 years before and they were able to give me it, which was very much appreciated!

Ate dinner for the first time, a burger in the garden and it was one of the best burgers I've had, perfectly cooked to medium rare, juicy, tender and with fresh salad and crunchy chips!

Breakfast in the lower ground floor conservatory was very good, a decent range of dried and fresh fruits, yogurts, cereal, juices and breads. Hot dishes are cooked to order, which I appreciate as they are freshly done. Poached egg with my bacon the first day was good and the scrambled eggs on the morning after my marathon (night time marathon!) were easily the best I've ever had, thanks, Chef!

The staff, as ever, are polite and welcoming, while very discreet. Can't remember the name of the Inverness waiter at breakfast but he was an absolute charmer, calling everyone "darling", loved it!

Thanks, Channings, if the Moonwalk is at Inverleith next year, I'll be back again!!!

Room Tip: As I was not keen on negotiating stairs or the lift after a marathon, I requested a groundfloor room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Though the location is away from the city core we enjoyed our stay at the Channings, we love to walk, there are many buses you can catch that will take you into the core. The hotel is not like a regular hotel. It is comprised of old Victorian row houses joined together which gave you some lovely ground floor space, large bay windows, a comfortable lobby to sit in, another front room for checking your emails, a comfortable front room of another one of the row houses to sit and relax and some history of a famous Antarctic explorer (Shackelton) who resided in one of these row houses, very interesting. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms clean, out of all the hotels I stayed at during my holidays to Scotland and Ireland I loved the Channings bed, it was the most comfortable for me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OttawaIrishblueeyes
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time in reviewing our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we could contribute to a comfortable visit. Please be sure that your compliments about our staff will be passed on to the rest of our team.
Thank you for choosing Channings and we look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Edinburgh.