“Great Hotel”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Really enjoyed my stay; hotel staff were bery helpful and friendly and the room price represents great value for money. Very good breakfast. Hotel is a pleasant shortish walk from the City centre. Cant really fault

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 29 July 2009

Last August, I took my Mum to the Channings boutique hotel in Edinburgh for a 2 night stay for a special birthday. It is a beautiful townhouse converted into a charming and cosy hotel. The staff welcomed us on arrival and they were continuously helpful, friendly and professional. We booked in to the restaurant for our first night and the food was exquisite. Before our break, I had ordered a bottle sparkling wine as a surprise which they brought to the room on time and they also bought in a beautiful chocolate birthday cake. I couldn't fault a thing. In terms of location, it is walking distance to Edinburgh centre although this does involve walking up a slight incline initially - it would probably take about 20 minutes to walk in.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Niks72
Reviewed 29 July 2009

On first impression, Channings is a nice boutique hotel located in a quiet area of Edinburgh, about a 15-minute walk from the city centre. We arrived at Channings after staying in small B&Bs around Scotland for the previous 2 weeks; in the end, I felt received far better value for the money at the B&Bs. Surface appearances at Channings were of a boutique hotel, but so many little things were neglected or run down that it wasn’t up to the standard of other boutique hotels where I've stayed in London or around the world.

At arrival, Channings seems fairly posh. The lobby is quite nice, with fireplaces, nicely upholstered, comfortable furniture, a chess table, etc. Service is very friendly, and our room was quite spacious and done up in good taste when the bellhop deposited our luggage there. (If you take a look at the first few pictures, you’ll see that Room 2 is a spacious, well decorated room from a distance.) The bathroom is huge, and I wanted to jump in the large bathtub immediately, given the chilly day.

Once I started living in the room, though – unpacking and using that bathtub – I started to realize how many small things had been neglected in our room. Overall it looks like quite a bit of money was spent to renovate the townhouses into a boutique hotel 10 years ago, and nothing has been done to keep them up since. As mentioned in a previous review, amenities in the room weren’t on par with even the simplest B&B. Some examples (some documented in the closeup photos I’ve attached):

• Pulls were missing off the drawers.
• The tile grout in the tub was mildewing.
• The paint was flaking off the walls in the bathroom.
• The sink and tub were chipped and cracked.
• All the furniture was quite worn around the edges.
• No bottled water was provided in the room (only caffeinated tea).
• No alarm clock or clock of any sort.
• No way to regulate the heat.
• The toiletries are Molton Brown, yes, but they keep them to a minimum: a small bar of soap (with no soap dish to hold it on the tilting sink so it was constantly falling into the sink), and bottles of body wash and shampoo (no conditioner, no lotion -- and what little there was had a very masculine scent, so they must have been anticipating only male guests. But even my husband uses conditioner these days.)
• Constant attempts to nickel & dime patrons. We were offered a daily newspaper on check-in; only on check-out when presented with the bill did we find out that we were charged for the paper each morning. Everything seems extra at breakfast – espresso and hot chocolate are extra, and it’s not clear whether breakfast is included since there are prices on the menu. Given that we were already paying CAD 275 (USD 250) a night for the room – and that with a weak pound – I didn’t appreciate the constant nickeling & diming.

Also of note: the bed. It was a European king -- i.e., two twins bolted together with a hard ridge down the middle where the bed frames meet. Not all that surprising in Europe. What was surprising was that they hadn’t bothered to buy the proper bedspread, and instead had just overlapped two twin bedspreads on the bed. Also, the mattresses themselves were so worn down and saggy that when I first lay down I thought it was a waterbed (it was not). And despite what another poster wrote, we did not have a pillowtop mattress, although there were two twin-sized duvets on the bed (and nothing else other than the sheet covering the mattress) – your basic German pension bed. All in all, perhaps not the bed you’d want to have if you’re splurging on a weekend to cuddle with your significant other.

To end on a positive note: we liked the location, as the neighbourhood was away from the tourist frenzy that is the Old Town while being close enough to walk there. And we didn’t experience the same problems with breakfast others have; service was fairly speedy and the hot breakfast was adequate (but only if the cost is included in your room; at the asking price of GBP 12.50 it would be overpriced).

Overall, I’d suggest trying one of the other hotels in the same class mentioned by other people here – for what we spent, I didn’t feel we got the experience warranted by the cost. Channings won’t be worth the money until they make some basic repairs to get rid of the overall shabbiness and cheapness.

Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stay in Edinburgh quite often, whether visiting friends over the weekends or in the city on business. We chose Channings this weekend as we were going to a wedding nearby and had heard good things about the Townhouse Group hotels.
However this hotel did not compare well to others in similar price brackets, such as Apex Waterloo or Hotel du Vin.
We had booked a superior room and were allocated one on the top floor which had a lovely large bathroom with a roll top bath and walk in shower but the bedroom was very warm all night with no climate contol system - other than opening the windows, which of course let in the light and the noise of the gulls fighting on the roof! There was no bottled water provided in the room and no fridge to put our own water in, nor was there a safe in the room.
The staff were generally polite and helfpul, particularly the concierge, but the service at breakfast was poor, as was the breakfast they served.
I know that the standards at other hotels in Edinburgh are a lot higher for a similar price so I doubt if we would stay at Channings again.

1  Thank Lynne W
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Nice hotel, reception was friendly, difficult to park as various local parking restrictions.Nice large room, large bathroom. The only down turn was breakfast. The service was very slow, even though it was not busy.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Sea98
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Channings Hotel is a great find near unique shops in Stockbridge and fun pubs on the West End. Its about 25 GPS taxi ride from the airport and is on a quiet street. The lobby and various lounge rooms are spacious and a great way to spend an evening. Beds are firm but with wonderful, sink in a cloud, pillowtops. Great bathroom lighting and computers available if needed. Sheila Fleet's only flagship jewelry store is within walking distance on St. Michael street and a great place to get high quality souvenirs or momentos of your time in Edinburgh. Watch out for parking around this area, yellow curbs are unloading only, even if you pay for a parking voucher.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelFiend1
Reviewed 11 June 2009

My husband and I traveled for two weeks around Scotland and parts of England, this was by far the most expensive and the least nice of all of our hotels. The room was really old and had a very funny smell to it which we could not get rid of despite opening the window. There was a large spider in between my husband's sheets, there was mildew in the shower, the city center is a bit of a hike, and the breakfast food left something to be desired.

All of these things I would typically overlook if the price was not so steep compared with other, much nicer places that we stayed in. The worst part of the stay was that on the morning that we were to depart, I was mid-shower when the fire alarm went off. Apparently my fault... as the staff called us later to say not to take hot showers with the door open. In my opinion, they should probably just update their fire alarms to ones that don't go off for steam! The window in our room was open too!

Despite these things, there were a couple of things that Channings did very well. The lobby is just beautiful and if our room looked like that I would have had no complaints! Our room did have a lovely view, and also, the staff were incredibly helpful and pleasant. They were probably the best thing about the place and they made our stay tolerable which is a feat.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple