“Loved everything about this hotel”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #37 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Heathfield, East Sussex
“Loved everything about this hotel”
Reviewed 12 September 2006

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend arriving on Friday 8th September. We stayed in room 12 with a jacuzzi bath!

From the minute we arrived until the time we left the staff could not have been more helpful but were never intrusive.

The building itself is beautiful but comfortable and in no way pretentious.

Our room was clean, nicely furnished with the aforementioned bathroom.

All in all we had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel

• Liked — Spacious, well furnished room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Bear in mind 10 - 15 min walk to City centre
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 2265tah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
London
Reviewed 31 August 2006

My husband and I spent a long weekend at Channings recently and had an absolutely fantastic time from the minute we entered the front door.

The reception team and porters are some of the friendliest and helpful people we have come across in hotels. Nothing was a problem and ladies some of guys are quite cute!!!!!

We were lucky enough to have booked one of their fantastic new Shackleton rooms on the top floor, like one of the last reviewers we too had the yellow room but we loved it! It has the biggest bathroom I have ever seen, underground heating, wet room shower and a huge bath what more do you want?! Yes the style is slightly different from the rest of the hotel but it is slightly more modern and looks great! Reading the other person's review made me laugh she/he obviously sees themselves as critic/author. We used the info book and found 2 fantastic restaurants, if you like Italian go to La Piazza!!!!

Breakfast portions are a bit on the small side but they have a decent size of buffet that suited me better as I prefer the healthier option in the mornings.

The only real bad thing about our stay was that we had to leave!!!

We will definitely be going back!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — distance from city centre
  • Tips/Secrets — booking the top florr rooms!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank TouringTim
Livingston, Scotland
Reviewed 29 August 2006

I booked this hotel for a one-night stay for myself and my partner.
We managed to get one of the suites on the top floor and it was superb - large bedroom, great views over Edinburgh and an amazing bathroom with walk-in splash shower and stand-alone roll-top bath.
We live in the surrounding area, so the touristy point-of-view wasn't that important for us - we just wanted somewhere special where we could spend a relaxing night.
All I can say is that we got that in abundance.
Ate in the restaurant downstairs and I can echo what other reviewers have said - excellent food, but portions could be bigger. The same applied to breakfast the next morning.

All in all - I would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Fantastic room
  • Disliked — Meal portions
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you take a look around the gardens of the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank astrange4
London
Reviewed 13 August 2006

Tried to book Stuarts B&B but did not know I was booking during the festival and the tattoo! This was a good "second"
Great room. Overlooked the inspiration for Hogwarts. We ate at the pub one night. Food was fine although the pub was ultra modern and not cozy. The service was fine. Breakfast was mediocre, service, choice, etc. They were going for cost control which was understandable for a cost accountant. You could get to Princess St. in 15 minutes and we even walked to the royal mile from there. You need to be willing to walk about 5miles for that but it is well worth it. You can also get a bus for 1 GBP, just 200 yards (meters) or so from the hotel. Taxi is 6.50 GBP from the main train station sans gratuity. Overall service was fantastic.
Includes free internet.

1 Thank francissp
Braganca, Portugal
Reviewed 14 July 2006

We spent 4 nights at Channings...and what 4 nights!!!
From check-in to check-out there were no negative points to be found.
The service is outstanding: check-in, breakfast, dinner, bar and housekeeping...
everything was flawless.
If you want to go out for dinner, think twice...
stay in and Fiona will take care of you. The kitchen is one of the best we have experienced so far.
Myself and my partner work in top hotels in London and for us this was the perfect break in Edinburgh.
THANKS CHANNINGS!!!

7 Thank LeLibero
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2006

Felt I just HAD to write in about and tell all about the fantastic time my mother and I had at Channings early this month. We decided to come here for a shopping trip and picked here because of the reviews on this site, we figured so many people couldn't be wrong - and they most certainly weren't.

Loved it as soon as I arrived. Our porter Richard was very charming and immaculately presented. My mother said he was the nicest young man she had encountered in many a year and even offered to take him home! He respectfully declined. We also encountered another Richard on our trip - a manager - who was equally charming. If you come across them I promise you are in for a treat. First class.

Room was great, lovely view, extremely clean and comfortable and had a great entertainment system. The beds were superb but so high off the ground! They looked so neat and tidy it was a shame to mess them up.

Food at night was second to none but the service wasn't what we expected after such excellence in the lounges but I suppose you can't win them all. They were not unpleasant just a bit short with us and the bar tender seemed uninterested in talking with my mother.

Fortunately, it will not put us off returning. Will reccomend and will be back

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hampshire
Reviewed 26 June 2006

Stayed 2 nights.Taxi frem airport to Hotel - much quicker than a bus or coach.
Room was not ready as we arrived early however friendly staff held our bags whilst we went off exploring Edinburgh.
First night room overlooked Edinburgh skyline, but the room was not as great as expected / assumed from site.
Second night had one of the superior rooms on th top floor (same price), alot better - bigger rooms and massive bathroom - get one of these rooms if you can.
With any luck the hotel will re-fit the other rooms to the same standard.
Flat screen tv, big bed, large shower... only thing missing was a fridge - I do hate those little milk cartons they never taste great and you always get one thats gone off!

Anyhow, first night ate in the hotel - menu limited, good quality food, presented well, good service but small portions - you wont get fat here.
It would not cost the cook much more to add some veg to the plate. Anyhow overall good.

Cooked breakfast was good - however again portions were v small. Service in morning not so attentive (different staff). Stick to the contentinal if you are on room only.

Second night the guy at reception arranged a table at The Tower that overlooks the castle & taxi to get us there - well worth it for a meal, if rather expensive.

Next day went to the museum (same building as The Tower - go there its free and worth lookign around, then goto the very top floor for the views.

Overall: good hotel, and good service (I dont often say that). Will return.

• Stayed June 2006