“Quintessential charm”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #46 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 July 2010

After some hefty internet searching and reading (lots on TripAdvisor), I settled on Channings as my home base for a couple of vacationg/personal days that I was spending in Edinburgh after a long London-Cardiff-Glasgow trip. It is part of the Town House Company, a boutique chain that operates other properties in the city. While one of their less expensive offerings, it was still a bit of a splurge for me (especially when you consider the GBP to USD conversion), but I wanted a nice, personal 4-star place.

Channings is small and operates on a very old world scale. It is situated in a couple of connected town houses in a residential area (but that's easily walkable to the center of Edinburgh). Upon my arrival, the front desk person checked me in quickly and directed me to my room. The room was quite small (though I know I had one of the cheapest ones, so it's to be expected and I didn't mind), but well-appointed (really handsomely decorated) with nice sheets on the bed, a decently sized desk, and bathroom with tub. There was a basket with coffee/tea makings and some biscuits as well. And there was (I think) free wifi, which is always appreciated. I don't watch TV when I travel so I honestly don't recall if there was one for sure, but I think there was. The view from my windows was really quite picturesque. I think that the only drawback for me was the lack of bathrobe(s). For a 4-star place this nice, it would seem to fit...and makes for nice lounging about.

The service by the staff is quite detail-oriented. I received emails from Scott, the concierge prior to my stay (separate from the confirmation emails), asking if I had questions or any special needs. He was immensely helpful in accepting a package there on my behalf prior to my arrival. And when I was having trouble with the radiator on the bathtub one evening and called the reception desk, they sent him right up. He was quite friendly (and didn't make me feel silly for not knowing how to work it). The rest of the front desk staff was equally helpful with questions and directions (minus one instance on my last day in which I was misguided to the bus stop for the airport bus...which could have been disastrous, had I not found a nice local, walking the streets who helped me out). The same woman did do me a nice favor, however, in letting me pay part of the balance of my bill in GBP (so as to get rid of them before leaving the UK) and the rest via credit card.

My breakfasts were included in my room rate. They were served in the downstairs restaurant. While the convenience was appreciated, they were just OK and nothing terribly special (though I should admit that I found that I'm simply not a fan of the full Scottish breakfast...or English/Welsh elsewhere). My dinners there, however, were quite nice. One evening, I had the simple, but exquisite homemade pie and mash. The pie was excellent and overflowed with tender venison, cooked perfectly, and hearty vegetables. The next evening, I had a lovely salad packed with goat cheese and a fantastic duck entree (in which the duck was a perfect medium rare)...and some sort of yummy, but not too heavy dessert. The wines were reasonably priced, as I recall. Both times I ate in the more casual bar area (as opposed to the more formal place settings in other rooms). It was fine and pleasant, but the feel and decor seemed incongruous with the rest of the establishment (though it seemed to be a neighborhood hang out for some...which has a nice, casual feel). Service was attentive, but nothing overwhelming.

It's a quiet hotel, which I liked. I slept well and easily (due not only to running myself hard sightseeing all day, but also the peace and the quality of the bed/sheets). I enjoyed the quaint, refined feel (In addition to the handsome bedrooms, the lobby is also quite attractive, with lots of beautifully upholstered chairs). And as I mentioned, though it's set off a bit from the city center, it's quite convenient if you enjoy walking.

I had a lovely time at Channings. It's a classy establishment that enhanced my experience in Scotland. I'd pick it over the larger hotels any day, I'm guessing for personality and charm.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank soubrettina
Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed 22 July 2010

we stayed at the Channings Hotel for 2 nights in July. The night before we arrived we got an email from the hotel asking if we had any special requests which was a lovely touch! our room was clean and charming with a good breakfast buffet included each morning. the hotel is located in a very lovely, quiet part of town yet only a 10 min walk away from the old town if you want to head out for dinner and drinks. the hotel staff were very helpful in ordering taxis + checking on the status of our luggage which was lost by british airways! we'll be staying again next time we go to edinburg!

Reviewed 22 July 2010

We really felt like coming home each time we came back to the hotel after a long daytrip in a bus, sightseeing in the city, shopping, jogging/ walks, late nights.... It can be exhausting to be a tourist, and we were happy to jump into the very high and big bed in our room at the 3. floor at the end of the day! We slept lik a prince and a princess, no back problems came with this bed. The view from the bed towards the sunset in west over old churches and parks was fantastic.

Also we had a TV with a lot of channels, and a very nice bathroom with soaps from Molton Brown. The hotel both looks and smells clean and nice. The interior is typical older british style - very nice and cosy. Channings is integrated in a line of apartments in the western part of the city, quite expencive ones I think.. The whole area was very calm, and I felt safe jogging around to the park near by. It took us about 10 minutes walk to the end of Princes St. From there you can go shopping in Princes St., go the Royal Mile, or head on to Edinburg Castle just minutes away. From Channings to the city centre you walk over the old and beautiful Dean Brigde 100 ft over the river/ park - a great walk in itself.

As you understand we loved our stay in Edinburgh and at Channings hotel. Great value all over; the breakfast was excellent, the staff nice and helpful both at the reception, cleaners, at the pub and restaurant. I can warmly recommend this hotel!

Reviewed 22 July 2010

Channings was great! The room was large, well-appointed and spotless. It had four skylights! The bathroom was huge and the free-standing tub was the highlight of each of my evenings. I've never been at a hotel where the housekeeping staff is so discreet. In the four days I was there, I only saw them once, but our room was always made up! The lobby area is terrific. One can stroll from "parlor" to "parlor" each with leather chairs, flower arrangements and interesting decor all around. My husband enjoyed the full Scottich breakfast (I can't eat the much first thing in the morning, so ate fruit, yoghurt and pastries). Ben, at the front desk, was incredibly polite and efficient. It's a little far from City Centre, but that can be taken as either a positive and a negative, depending on your perspective! It was raining most of the time we were there, so we took taxis nearly everywhere. I have no idea how the hike to the Royal Mile would have been. All in all, a most pleasant experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

We booked a 2 night stay at Channings hotel with travel zoo. We emailed Scott (reservations at Channings) and mentioned it was our 5 year anniversary - we arrived and was upgraded from a standard double to the best shackleton suite in the hotel!! This was fantastic and really made our stay extra special.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate on both nights once in the bar and in the restuarant the food was excellent.
Location is nice its in a quiet area of Edinburgh very close to some lovely bars and unique shops and only about 15 walk from the city centre.
Would return and recommend a friend - fantastic hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

This was our first time in Edinburgh and the position of the hotel couldn;t have been better. We also had a fantastic Junior Suite on the top floor. The lounges were lovely too. However, the food left a lot to be desired. We ate about 9pm in the restaurant one night and although the staff were pleasant the food wasn't. Soup came without even a roll and my pate came without the leaves as advertised. It was served fridge cold with a minute amount of toast. My duck was tired and the potato simply warmed up with the tiniest amount of carrot puree I've ever seen. To crown it all the wine arrived after we'd finished as the fridge wasn't working so they had to cool it down elsewhere. Breakfast was also not great - they couldn't even leave a full jug of coffee and the staff never noticed I needed a refill. However the hotel was lovely and clean and I would recommend it but do eat elsewhere - there are loads of nice places in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

This was my 2nd stay at Channings. Both trips I took teen age grandsons to Scotland to connect with their Scottish heritage. I like the fact it is situated in a quiet neighborhood and feels like you are at home. Both visits our room overlooked the back garden and terrace which we enjoyed. The room both stays was a little small with a king size bed (two twins with a common headboard so the beds can be separated, if needed), but they had arranged everything for guest comfort even including 2 easy chairs; probably one would have been better with the tight space in the room. This stay we even had a nice little foyer area. Both stays we have enjoyed having a very nice, spacious bathroom. I especially enjoyed the bath this stay as it had plenty of space for toiletries to be stored on a tiled ledge stretching along the entire side of the bathroom above the sink. When we didn't feel like sitting in our room, we enjoyed the lounges on the main floor as well as the lovely backyard and terrace. They are very flexible with guests being able to order food or beverages anywhere in the hotel you choose including the dining room, the pub room, the terrace, the lounges (two living room type rooms on the main floor) or in your room. Having the restaurant and pub available after a day of touring was wonderful. One comment on the restaurant service; they are friendly and anxious to please, but the service can be slow sometimes. WiFi is available in the room through the TV, but we had difficulty with it and reverted to using the computer in one of the common areas on the main floor. The WiFi was out 2 days while we were there. While we couldn't access our e-mail, reception was most accomodating in printing out our boarding passes the day before we left. The rooms are not air conditioned, but they were only warmish during the day, then with the windows open cooled off nicely all but one night when a fan would have been appreciated. If it is warm, ask for a fan as they do have them, but we didn't know this until checkout when I mentioned how nice it would have been to have one. Apparently they store them for the winter, and since they are not used to constant air conditioning (like me!) they deal better with the warm days than I do! The nice flat screen TV in the room has movies available for a charge; my grandson enjoyed that after dinner when we were in the room relaxing. Either a bus or a taxi will have you in the city center in less than 10 minutes, and some people chose to walk there. The area from Channings to downtown goes from a residential neighborhood, to one with restaurants and services to the central city. I like the hominess of Channings much more than a big hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family