“Channings is like a home from home”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #37 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Channings is like a home from home”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Channings is located in a quiet leafy residential suburb about twelve minutes walk (or a brief taxi ride if you are elderly!) from the centre of Edinburgh. It consists of five town houses knocked togetrher.Every room is different. Ours was spacious and confortably furnished, with Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom, and the best hotel shower we have encountered in many years of international travelling. Lunches and dinners are beautifully cooked and served, and in addition a good all-day meny is available in the bar until 10 p.m. Our bookings included a plentiful "continental" brewakfast,andt cooked breakfast was also available. But what is truly outstanding about Channings is the friendly and responsive attitude of the staff. Nothing is too much for them.

Edinburgh itself is full of treats -- Scottish art, music, and good food and drink. We would particularly reconnend the Scottish colorists (especially Peploe) in the National Gallery of Modern Art (quite near the hotel) and the Raeburn portraits in the National Gallery just off Princes Street. Gladstones Land is an amzing 16th century merchant's house now owned by the National Trust, with brilliant guides on hand. Go down High Street and on the left in Jeffrey Street you will find an autrhentic Provençal restaurant La Garrigue, but it is vry popular with locals so be sure tob book ahead. And if you go to a concert in Usher Hall, be warned that there is no food available, not even a bag of crisps -- only whisky (seems the Scots prefer it that way).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Ireland
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I decided to stay at Channings based on a recommendation and reading reviews on Tripadvisor.
I tried to ring and reserve a room at a corporate rate and was told I could not. My boss had to ring up and reserve a room at a corporate rate for me. I later rang to pay only to be told that the rate quoted was for a single occupancy and since my partner was travelling with me it was 30 more a night. I said that I had seen a cheaper rate than that on the internet and could they match it, and the answer was no. I was then told there was no availability on the following night but once again found a cheaper price on the internet.
I contacted the hotel to let them know that I would be arriving early but when I arrived the room was not available which was fine. However we were not offered anywhere to get changed or clean up or store our bags (in fact we left them in the boot of the car). When we came back later that evening we were checked into a small room with 2 single beds pushed together (we had booked a double) where the shower dribbled and that was exceptionally hot. My partner went down and asked for a fan to be told that there were none available.
The second night there was the night England were playing football and we watched the second half and there were a couple of other people there. When one asked if the volume could be turned up he was told "What's the point there's only 5 minutes to go".
I just think that the overall standard of service and quality at the hotel is very poor (I have to admit that the breakfast was very fresh) and I don;t see where the rave reviews on Tripadvisor come from. Maybe we were just unlucky or got the "cheap seats" who knows. There are certainly better options around for the price in my opinion and I personally do not rate this hotel and especially its staff I think I would have had a better experience if I had stayed in a travelodge at least you know what you are getting and it does not try to be something its not

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mcgringo
uk
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Stayed at the Channings by accident during a touring trip of Scotland. We had originally booked into The Bonham but upon arrival we were told there had been a computer glich and the hotel was overbooked and we were asked to transfer to their sister hotel The Channings. We explained that our booking was chiefly made because of the location of the hotel we were reassured that the Channings was only a further 6 minute walk from Endinburgh's west end. When we arrived at our 'alternative' hotel the staff were most welcoming and explained that we had been upgraded to a suite. We were shown to our room which was in the basement and consisted of a huge bathroom, a bedroom with a huge bed in it and an additonal room; quite what this room was supposed to be used for we were not sure it had a desk in it and two upright chairs and the coffee/tea tray. Neither rooms had any view and the wifi signal was non existent. Non-the-less we were given a complementary bottle of wine and I laid in a HUGE bubble bath of molten brown fragrances whilst my husband was able to shower in the seperate shower. Very comfortable bed and lovely breakfast and they paid for a taxi to take us into town to a restaurant the conceirge had recommende and booked on our behalf. Will have to return to Edinburgh to our original hotel 'The Bonham' to discover how much of an upgrade we received!

torbay
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I booked this at last minute for the festival so was not sure what it would be like. It is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, comfortable, clean, convenient and quiet yet only 10 minutes walking distance from the main tourist areas. The breakfast which was included was well cooked and the service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Channings has the reputation of being a good hotel and we had stayed there previously - the prices are high and so we always look out for any offers which are usually few and far between. My first issue with the trip (a 2 night stay over a weekend) was that we had booked on an offer - B&B in a superior room for £144.40 for 2 nights per person with the option of a bottle of wine in the room for extra £17.95.
A few days after booking (paying in advance the full amount non-refundable) a new 'offer' appears on the website of 2 nights DINNER plus B&B with a FREE bottle of wine for £99 - this represents a saving in total of nearly 50% on our 'offer'. On arrival I mentioned it at reception and of course there was nothing they could do as the offers are controlled by Marketing and at least, we were told, we had a superior room. We beg to differ as we were put in the attic with a sloping ceiling so that a tall person, as we are, couyld only stand up at one side of the room - the mirrors on the walls were all about 5 feet maxmum off the ground so you had to bend down to see in them - fair enough if you were paying £99 for 2 nights Dinner B&B AND getting free wine - but I was not pleased at paying £144.40 for just B&B.
Overall feeling was that I was fleeced and the hotel didn't care - unless you'reso well off that money doesn't matter to you - don't get fleeced and stay away from Channings

New York City
Reviewed 24 July 2010

After some hefty internet searching and reading (lots on TripAdvisor), I settled on Channings as my home base for a couple of vacationg/personal days that I was spending in Edinburgh after a long London-Cardiff-Glasgow trip. It is part of the Town House Company, a boutique chain that operates other properties in the city. While one of their less expensive offerings, it was still a bit of a splurge for me (especially when you consider the GBP to USD conversion), but I wanted a nice, personal 4-star place.

Channings is small and operates on a very old world scale. It is situated in a couple of connected town houses in a residential area (but that's easily walkable to the center of Edinburgh). Upon my arrival, the front desk person checked me in quickly and directed me to my room. The room was quite small (though I know I had one of the cheapest ones, so it's to be expected and I didn't mind), but well-appointed (really handsomely decorated) with nice sheets on the bed, a decently sized desk, and bathroom with tub. There was a basket with coffee/tea makings and some biscuits as well. And there was (I think) free wifi, which is always appreciated. I don't watch TV when I travel so I honestly don't recall if there was one for sure, but I think there was. The view from my windows was really quite picturesque. I think that the only drawback for me was the lack of bathrobe(s). For a 4-star place this nice, it would seem to fit...and makes for nice lounging about.

The service by the staff is quite detail-oriented. I received emails from Scott, the concierge prior to my stay (separate from the confirmation emails), asking if I had questions or any special needs. He was immensely helpful in accepting a package there on my behalf prior to my arrival. And when I was having trouble with the radiator on the bathtub one evening and called the reception desk, they sent him right up. He was quite friendly (and didn't make me feel silly for not knowing how to work it). The rest of the front desk staff was equally helpful with questions and directions (minus one instance on my last day in which I was misguided to the bus stop for the airport bus...which could have been disastrous, had I not found a nice local, walking the streets who helped me out). The same woman did do me a nice favor, however, in letting me pay part of the balance of my bill in GBP (so as to get rid of them before leaving the UK) and the rest via credit card.

My breakfasts were included in my room rate. They were served in the downstairs restaurant. While the convenience was appreciated, they were just OK and nothing terribly special (though I should admit that I found that I'm simply not a fan of the full Scottish breakfast...or English/Welsh elsewhere). My dinners there, however, were quite nice. One evening, I had the simple, but exquisite homemade pie and mash. The pie was excellent and overflowed with tender venison, cooked perfectly, and hearty vegetables. The next evening, I had a lovely salad packed with goat cheese and a fantastic duck entree (in which the duck was a perfect medium rare)...and some sort of yummy, but not too heavy dessert. The wines were reasonably priced, as I recall. Both times I ate in the more casual bar area (as opposed to the more formal place settings in other rooms). It was fine and pleasant, but the feel and decor seemed incongruous with the rest of the establishment (though it seemed to be a neighborhood hang out for some...which has a nice, casual feel). Service was attentive, but nothing overwhelming.

It's a quiet hotel, which I liked. I slept well and easily (due not only to running myself hard sightseeing all day, but also the peace and the quality of the bed/sheets). I enjoyed the quaint, refined feel (In addition to the handsome bedrooms, the lobby is also quite attractive, with lots of beautifully upholstered chairs). And as I mentioned, though it's set off a bit from the city center, it's quite convenient if you enjoy walking.

I had a lovely time at Channings. It's a classy establishment that enhanced my experience in Scotland. I'd pick it over the larger hotels any day, I'm guessing for personality and charm.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank soubrettina
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2010

we stayed at the Channings Hotel for 2 nights in July. The night before we arrived we got an email from the hotel asking if we had any special requests which was a lovely touch! our room was clean and charming with a good breakfast buffet included each morning. the hotel is located in a very lovely, quiet part of town yet only a 10 min walk away from the old town if you want to head out for dinner and drinks. the hotel staff were very helpful in ordering taxis + checking on the status of our luggage which was lost by british airways! we'll be staying again next time we go to edinburg!