We had booked a "mystery hotel" with Superbreak and we were told by some friends we had a great hotel to stay in as all the Scottish MPs would stay there as it was so close to the Scottish Parliament. The location was great, it was 2 minutes away from the Parliament, Holyrood Palace and Dynamic Earth. It was also on the doorstep of the start of the climb to Arthurs Seat.
When we first got to the train station in Edinburgh I think we may have taken the longest route round to the hotel but this showed us how gorgeous the city was and the great views we would be able to get from certain parts of the hotel. When we arrived I asked the receptionist if our room would have a view of Arthurs Seat as it was so stunning and she typed a few things into the computer and upgraded us to the 6th floor which was the executive floor which you had to use a card in the elevator to get up to. The staff on the front desk were so friendly and welcoming and very kind to upgrade us with no reason.
The room was a great size and it had a great size bathroom too and armchairs to relax on which was a nice touch. Unfortunately we didnt get a view at all, we were facing a set of apartments but we didnt mind. The air in the room at night was quite dry and the beds and pillows were uncomfortable but I know everyone has different preferences for that sort of thing.
We thought we would try out the restaurant the first night and go out and explore after that. This wasnt a good idea. When we entered we were the only people there and this was about 7.00/8.00 at night so the atmosphere was non existent. More people did arrive but still no atmosphere and lack of background music made it quite awkward. The food was quite expensive but definitely wasnt value for money. We went for a simple burger and chips but the burger tasted like one you would buy in tesco and the chips were raw.
On the second night of our stay we got back to our room and our TV wasnt working so I called down to the front desk and they had someone up with us within minutes, he was very helpful and got a new lead for the TV and had it all fixed within half an hour. During this time they did also offer us a change of room in case that would have suited us more. They couldnt have been anymore helpful.
The breakfast was quite a let down, it was very greasy and not tasty.
All in all I would recommend this hotel, just dont eat the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Edinburgh's old town, adjacent to the Scottish Parliament, Macdonald Holyrood Hotel is one of the city's leading hotels which has recently completed a £2.5million investment. Whatever your reason for staying, visiting on business or visiting the fascinating city of Edinburgh, you'll find our bedrooms are some of the most comfortable in town, our Vital Health Club is ideal to unwind in and our brand new Roccas restaurant is stylish and sophisticated, serving the best quality Scottish home comforts with an Italian twist. A meal, afternoon tea or champagne at the bar is certainly not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Holyrood Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Holyrood Edinburgh
- Hotel Macdonald Holyrood
- Macdonald Holyrood Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland