“Not quite Macdonalds, but certainly not McDonalds”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Having stayed in a couple of other Macdonald hotels, we were slightly disappointed with this one. The location is good, as others note, but it is also true that it could do with a bit of money spent, both on the rooms but also the smallish bar/reception area. The room was a good size, considering the central location, but furnishings somewhat faded. Futhermore, in my view a double bed (esp if called Kingsize) should be a double - not 2 singles pushed together, which also seemed somewhat shorter than normal (I am only 6ft so no giant). Bathroom too, big enough, and clean, but not of 5 star WOW calibre.
Had breakfast both days which was good, and served to you rather than buffet which always adds a bit of class. No complaints about the service - in fact they let is check in at 12ish the first day which was a bonus. However, all in all, it lacks the sparkle I would expect from a Macdonalds hotel.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We checked into the Macdonald Holyrood for two nights in November 2012 for our wedding anniversary. It was £110 per night room only, and they wanted £17.50 pp for breakfast. We didn't bother. I really wouldn't describe it as a 4 star hotel. The so called 'piano bar' isn't a seperate bar at all , just a piano dumped near the front door. So the 'bar' is really just part of the entrance hall to the hotel and consequently very cold with the doors constantly opening. We ordered two drinks (over £11 for a beer and vodka and tonic) and had to ask the waiter for some nuts which others had been given automatically. There was a load of glue all around the room safe which looked awful. On Saturday evening, we had no hot water which just should not happen in a 4 star hotel. To be fair, they knocked some money off the bill when my wife complained. The hotel isn't nealy as central as many others in the city and is in a pretty crumby part of town. So overall it was so something of a disappointment. I wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

I made a late, discounted booking and just needed somewhere in the centre of Edinburgh to stay for a business meeting. I was more than pleased with the quality of service and accommodation at the Holyrood Mac. I was concerned about parking but they operate a concierge parking service which was very convenient. At £20 per night it was worth it to just hand over the keys and let them take my cases to the room and park the car.
The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The wifi was not working but I was given free use of a wire connection.
I turned up late for breakfast, after the official close of service (10.00 am) but with minimum fuss they served an excellent, freshly cooked full Scottish that was probably the best I have had. Much better than the usual buffet offerings of other hotels.
I did not use the Spa but I will choose to use this hotel again as it represents good value and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We had booked a "mystery hotel" with Superbreak and we were told by some friends we had a great hotel to stay in as all the Scottish MPs would stay there as it was so close to the Scottish Parliament. The location was great, it was 2 minutes away from the Parliament, Holyrood Palace and Dynamic Earth. It was also on the doorstep of the start of the climb to Arthurs Seat.

When we first got to the train station in Edinburgh I think we may have taken the longest route round to the hotel but this showed us how gorgeous the city was and the great views we would be able to get from certain parts of the hotel. When we arrived I asked the receptionist if our room would have a view of Arthurs Seat as it was so stunning and she typed a few things into the computer and upgraded us to the 6th floor which was the executive floor which you had to use a card in the elevator to get up to. The staff on the front desk were so friendly and welcoming and very kind to upgrade us with no reason.

The room was a great size and it had a great size bathroom too and armchairs to relax on which was a nice touch. Unfortunately we didnt get a view at all, we were facing a set of apartments but we didnt mind. The air in the room at night was quite dry and the beds and pillows were uncomfortable but I know everyone has different preferences for that sort of thing.

We thought we would try out the restaurant the first night and go out and explore after that. This wasnt a good idea. When we entered we were the only people there and this was about 7.00/8.00 at night so the atmosphere was non existent. More people did arrive but still no atmosphere and lack of background music made it quite awkward. The food was quite expensive but definitely wasnt value for money. We went for a simple burger and chips but the burger tasted like one you would buy in tesco and the chips were raw.

On the second night of our stay we got back to our room and our TV wasnt working so I called down to the front desk and they had someone up with us within minutes, he was very helpful and got a new lead for the TV and had it all fixed within half an hour. During this time they did also offer us a change of room in case that would have suited us more. They couldnt have been anymore helpful.

The breakfast was quite a let down, it was very greasy and not tasty.

All in all I would recommend this hotel, just dont eat the food.

Room Tip: When booking a room try and get one as high as possible and ask to be given a room with a view as I...
1  Thank heeelllooo
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My friend's partner treated us both to a spa day at Macdonald, Holyrood. Our experience was very strange - nothing like our previous spa experiences. We arrived in good time for our booked lunch at 1 pm only to be told that we should have arrived at 10.30 am and booked our 'lunch box' which was to be consumed in the library. There was no explanation of this at the time of booking.
We were sent up to the restaurant where it was apparent that we were neither expected nor welcome.

After a lengthy wait, we got a lunch - my chicken was underdone so I was unable to eat it. The staff were very formal and did try their best, but I felt most uncomfortable.

After lunch, we ventured to the spa suite. Our treatment was booked for 4.30 pm. No-one gave us a tour of the facilities so we had to find our own way around. The receptionist in particular was less than helpful. The pool was on the cool side, the tiling round the pool area was in poor condition. The toilet seats were loose in the ladies changing area.
We aired our concerns and the lady we spoke to was very symptahetic. She agreed to give us a complimentary voucher for another spa day. However, she left before we were able to get to the reception, despite agreeing to meet us there after our treatment.
All in all, what should have been a very relaxing spa day with a friend ended up being quite stressful and I won't be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nicki B
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Spent a wonderful weekend at the four star Macdonald Holyrood (16/17 November 2012). The location of this hotel is perfect just within a 15 minute walk to the old town and Princes Street for shopping or sightseeing.

The staff were most welcoming, and our room was very clean, comfortable and pleasant with tea and coffee making facilities. In fact we ran out of milk on Saturday, and when we asked for more in was no trouble to them at all, and it was brought up to our room almost immediately. The bathroom was very clean and kept well stocked with toiletries.

Breakfast was good. However, the letdown was the evening meal at the hotel on Friday night. The meal was very expensive, and we ate the food only because we were hungry. We do not recommend the evening meals at this hotel. Most definitely not up to the standard expected for the price charged. There are plenty of good restaurants and pubs within a 10/15 minute walk offering better value for money.

I would definitely go back to this hotel, but avoid having the evening meals there.

2  Thank susanohara_browwood
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Just returned from a two night stay - just wish it could have been longer! My friend & I were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Unfortunately we had to wait approx half an hour for our room but we spent the time chatting to the very helpful concierges.
The room had all we would expect and very comfortable - just one thing we didn't expect, mould in the ice bucket!
Hotel location is great, a pleasant stroll up the Royal Mile & down onto Princes Street. I think we must been in every shop along the way. Also bus very near to hotel to get to Ocean Terminal & Royal Yacht Britannia which was well worth the visit.
Hotel breakfast was excellent, kept us going all day. Sadly we did not have time to sample the leisure facilities but hopefully there will be another time.
All staff we came into contact with we're enthusiastic, friendly & obviously enjoyed their work.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends