“Breakfast best I've had in a while”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Another great late rooms bargain, with breakfast. Excellent selection. First class quality sausages and the famous Stornoway Black Pudding. Good coffee and selection of fruit etc. Toast was made from decent bread. Rooms are spacious, could do with a lick of paint and thats the only reason I am not giving this a full 5* rating. If you have the car, on site parking is £20. I came by train. Not too far from Waverley - £6 cab fare if you have luggage, otherwise walk - 15 mins. Near the Scottish Parliament, Arthur's seat and Old Town attractions. I was there on business but Edinburgh is beautiful. Never bore of it. Well done at this hotel. Great staff, great breakfast - give 502 a lick of paint and you get the full stars from me. Thank you.

1  Thank Samploc

Reviewed 12 December 2012

For a business trip I stayed in a double room on the 6th floor and it was great. Very comfortable, quiet and clean. The staff were fantastic - from the moment I arrived they were friendly, attentive, polite and good humoured. Lovely breakfast, great service, perfect location for where I needed to be (and just around the corner from the brilliant David Bann restaurant). I couldn't have asked for more!

Room Tip: Double rooms on the 6th floor are worth the extra money.
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Working in hotels for the past 5 years I can say this has to be the best hotel I have stayed in. The service you receive here is second to non.
Upon arrival we were met by the conceirge (4 of us - apologies don't know his name but he did tell us he came from Poland) he took our luggage recommended places to eat brought our luggage to the room and even stopped in our room for a chat. Check in was seemless and friendly. The room was spacious impecably clean and comfortable.
Breakfast has to be the best breakfast (service and food) I have ever experienced. In the many hotels I have worked in I know that a Sunday breakfast can be the most hectic breakfast of all, however somehow the Holyrood made it seem like it was a walk in the park. There was no matter of rushing, cold food - nothing of the sort which was a pleasant surprise! The plates were hot our cooked breakfast was brought out with prefect timing and we were even offered more toast when it arrived (this may seem like nothing to most but this is a surprise to be offered more toast with breakfast after the may hotels we have stayed and worked in before)
The location of the hotel was perfect for us - go up the side street next to the hotel and you're on the Royal Mile which leads to Prince Street where the German Market is. Walking round Edinburgh during December I must say makes you feel extremely Christmassy!
Check out was seemless again and the conceirge (older Scottish gentleman) took our luggage and told us 'don't rush back take your time, we can store it for as long as you wish' - we took in the last of Edinburgh and headed back to the hotel where our luggage was found immedately and a taxi booked for us to head to the airport.
Once again our luggage was taken to the taxi by the concierge (friendly Polish gentleman) who wished us a Merry Christmas.
I could not recommend this hotel and its staff more and I could only wish that management from other hotels would be able to come to this hotel and be trained in service the way the staff at this hotel has been. Thank you so much for such a fantastic weekend in Edinburgh and we will all be sure to return!!!!!

Room Tip: May want to ask for a room not overlooking the delivery area (but we heard no noise)
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank milly2704
Reviewed 10 December 2012

A very average business hotel. Rooms are fine for short stay. mattresses the same. Inclined to be noisy. One can hear guests in other rooms and corridors. But its let down by staff.
Room service menu is poor on healthy options; food will be substituted without asking first. there is a language barrier with many staff clearly not understanding requests nor having the courtesy to check back with the guest. I have spoken with many staff in other Edinburgh hotels who have previously worked here and they agreed this was an ongoing issue. There is a Tesco Express a few doors up which I recommend for fresh healthy options. Otherwise dine-out; with the choice available within walking distance there is simply no need to eat here.
As a regular global traveller I just don't know how we get it so wrong in the UK, but they have a captive audience in this locale and IT SHOWS!

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Dumped here by another hotel which had overbooked but I think their loss was our gain. Given a room on the 'club' floor (6th) and it was one of the nicest rooms we have had at a Macdonald
hotel. Desk staff were smartly attired and gave us their full attention which they proceeded to do whenever anyone checked in or out. I found the lounge area comfortable and we were attended to for drinks almost immediately when we sat down. One fault was the choice of beers on sale...only three on draught, two which were lager, and the other which is one of the worst beers to ever torture my palate.
Evening meal was fine, well presented and nice and warm but maybe a bit costly.
Breakfast was really good with plenty of choice including fresh fruit. Like other reviewers who have commented on the position of the hotel, this is student land, but the array of Bistros and bars on the walk to the city centre can tempt people of all ages. The walk is easy enough but you can get delayed by the quaint shops. The Grassmarket is at the top of the hill but a right turn takes you up to the royal mile and those lovely inviting whiskey shops! This hotel would be a good choice for most people and certainly lives up to its four stars.

Room Tip: Noise is not a problem here but if you can get on the 6th you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2012

My wife and i attended this hotel as a weekend break from 30th November to 2nd December and from start to finish it was an awesome experience. Whilst checking in we had our bags taken and left up to our rooms before we even realised what our room number was. We had a few queries over the next few days and every one was answered punctually politely and speedily. Nothing ws too much bother for all members of staff. We both commented on how obvious those working in the hotel were "A Team" as everything worked seemlessly even when they were under pressure. There were smiles on all their faces and it was obvious that they enjoyed their work. Service was exemplary and the food was too die for. We were on a bed, breakfast and dinner package and we have not eaten so well for many a long year. Also I have a habit of snoring and on one occasion my wife reached over to give me a prod in the back. The beds were so huge she couldn't find me heaven!! The pool, spa and sauna were excellent and the standards of the changing rooms beyond reproach. All in all we had a fantastic stay and are already talking about coming back to stay in Edinburgh and particularly MacDonald's next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

The staff are unbelievably helpful, the breakfasts are to die for, (I really need to know how chef makes the poached eggs so perfectly). Evening meals were lovely, I would recommend the ribeye steaks to anyone!! The facilities of Gym, Pool, sauna and steam room and spa are an added bonus at this hotel. Our room was lovely, 6th floor with a view of Arthur's Seat to boot and access to the library! Gorgeous complimentary toiletries! Concierge service second to none, and the duty manager was ever so helpful to us. Well placed for Royal Mile, and a nice steady walk out of town, with the pubs helping our walk home! 2nd time we have stayed, we will be back!! OH, and the bed was super comfy, and extra pillow request was sorted with a smile!!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are superb, 6th floor are nicer.......
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends