“Very nice thank you!”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I took my old mum here for an overnight stay as a treat and we weren't disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean, tidy, spacious and had all we needed. En-suite was lovely. Breakfast was very good with a wide variety of choices - but it was self service which means you do a lot of walking back and forth to get your breakfast. The only warning I would give is that if you are having a drink in the bar remember to ask the price first. I was charged £10.50 for a glass of red wine!! Having thought I was asking for a bog-standard glass of Merlot I found out differently once it was poured and I had signed for it. I argued my case at check out and did get a refund of £4, but this shouldn't have happened in the first place. Apart from the wine incident we enjoyed our stay and would return. This is a perfect location if you want to sight-see around the Royal Mile,

Room Tip: Our room was lovely and I think overall they rooms would be the same.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear dotsattic,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and your mum enjoyed a great stay with us and in particular I was pleased to note you found our staff extremely friendly and helpful and your room met your expectations. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

I am sorry for the mix up with the wine, we are currently refurbishing our main bar along with the stock, we had over looked a temporary wine list at the time however we have it all in place now.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel again soon!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed in a lovely refurbished room albeit a little cramped for two. Staff were all very helpful with Jakob an absolute star. Breakfast required a 10 minute wait to get a table but perhaps we turned up at the busiest time. Agree if you have luggage it is wiser to taxi it from train station

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bruce-Sally,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and in particular I am pleased to note that Jakob looked after you. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Jakob, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We were somewhat concerned about staying in this hotel, because after we had booked, several disparaging remarks began to appear on Trip Advisor. We were not told about the refurbishment either. However, apart from almost being hit by a falling, unsecured builder's fence by the front door it was ok.
Our room was a standard double on the fourth floor (we almost booked a higher grade and thankfully decided against it). By the sounds of things we chose well. A lovely modern, clean, well decorated room. The bed was comfortable. Tea and coffee tray. Tiled bathroom. I agree with others about the shower temperature, a bit temperamental. Sink was cracked and the extractor fan was broken. Corridors tired with well worn carpets.
Plenty of room for breakfast. I only had cereal but my husband said that the cooked food went cold very quickly. Perhaps using plate warmers might combat this.
Not sure why this hotel is 4* though.
Hotel is in a great location. Arthur's Seat. Holyrood Palace. Royal Mile. Most of the attractions were within 20mins walk, even Princes Gardens.
We didn't even try to get a table in the restaurant as there are so many and varied places to eat in Edinburgh anyway.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather L

Dear Heather L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear that you encountered an unsecure builders fence as you came into the hotel, our guest safety is paramount to us and I have personally been conducting daily checks with the refurb team to ensure our H&S requirements are being met.

The Macdonald Hotel group is committed to investing in and improving its product for the future and at the Macdonald Holyrood we do have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place.

I am glad that you found our central location in the historic old town of benefit to you, along with vast variety we offer at Breakfast.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future and thank you once gain for your feedback.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is a little East of the old town, so a short 10-15 minute (in our case wet) walk. The hotel has valet parking which costs £20 per night which is about the going rate for DIY so good value.

Rooms are a little old fashioned but a good size. We had a flood on the first night so got moved to a second room, but this had various bits of damage (like the wardrobe door broken) so we were moved to a third “executive” room on the top floor, only accessible by key-card. I’m glad we weren’t paying more because aside from the better toiletries and bath robes it wasn’t much better than a standard room.
The hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment so perhaps not the best time to go: on the second day the ground floor restaurant was being refurbished so breakfast was on the 1st floor, despite this the breakfast was consistently OK, but not great. Trying to get a cup of coffee wasn’t possible until 6pm, we were instead directed to a café along the road.
Overall it was a little disappointing, we got an excellent rate for a couple of nights, but if we’d been paying full price I think I would have been less satisfied. Perhaps worth a look once the refurbishment is finished. One highlight is the staff: they were all very good.

Room Tip: I'd stick with the standard rooms, the Excutive rooms aren't much better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Glen C

Dear GlennC002,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was sorry to hear of a flood in your room, I do hope that this did not cause too much inconvenience and that the team were able to offer another room.

As you have touched upon our hotel is undergoing a refurbishment of the ground floor. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard and award winning Breakfast it does appear that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. Please be assured that we continue to review our operational plans so that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum.

We do hope that you return after the works are complete to experience the stunning transformation. If there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly.

Best wishes

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel was a little hard to find and was a bit of a walk from the train station but worth the walk when I got there.(but next time I will use a taxi) The room was large and clean worth 4*. The bathroom was lovely tiled from floor to ceiling and also clean. There was a gym and pool although I went to have a look at them I didn't use them but they looked good. I can only say nice things about this hotel except lower the price of your breakfast and you might fill your restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bounty2013,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback from your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We very much appreciate such feedback as its a valuable way for us to monitor our operation and make improvements where necessary.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The restaurant was being refurbished, we weren't informed until arrival. Our booking had been strongly influenced by the restaurant presentation on the web site. We found it impossible to locate a good restaurant in Edinburgh for 5 people at the last moment on a Saturday evening.
The car park was full. We parked in the street outside. Breakfast was self service in a conference room canteen style and was below expectation.
Hotel is OK but has many rather dark corners and is not as clean as you would expect. Pool is nice , but as they appear to have removed hotel guides from the rooms you have to know it is there. Wait until the refurbishment programme is complete before staying here.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Bob R R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

As stated we are undergoing some refurbishment works of our bar & restaurant that may have caused you some slight inconvenience. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are known for we are very limited to space in the temporary dining room & bar. Please be assured that we continue to review our operational plans so that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit in relation to the car park being full, however we do recommend that you pre book a space so as not to be disappointed.

We will take all your comments on board and use them to better our guest experience during our refurbishment works.

I look forward to you returning to see this wonderful transformation after the works are complete.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Valley parking and check in very good, upgraded room on this occasion. Currently under going refurbishment which meant the downstairs bar area was closed and the upstairs bar left what can only be described as a lot to be desired poorly stocked no cocktails available and despite promoting Hendricks Gin had only 3 empty bottles on display resorted to asking what was in stock, bar staff not remotely interested.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank alexniuk

Dear alexniuk,

Thanks for submitting a review of the Macdonald Holyrood following your stay.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with our temporary bar. As you have touched upon the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are operating with limited stock items. Please be assured that we will continue to review this over the remaining 2 weeks.

I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to experience this fantastic transformation.

Best wishes