“Average”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 November 2013

On reading some comments after booking this hotel we arrived rather apprehensively. The reception staff were very helpful and our car was taken away to be parked. The room was clean,spacious and well equiped. Although there were major refurbishments going on they did not spoil our stay. The room that breakfast was served in was acceptable and didn't seem to cause any problems on the morning we used it. Yes the breakfast wasn't as hot as I would have liked it but we certainly didn't go away hungry and the waiter with the tea/coffee was continuously walking around. If we were to stay in Edinburgh again we would return to this hotel and look forward to seeing the refurbishment facilities.

Room Tip: 502 had good open view of Arthur's Seat.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear JMMERC,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am pleased you found you room to be clean and in order when you arrived and that the reception team took care of you.

We are undergoing an exciting refurbishment that will most certainly add value to our guests experience here at the hotel, along with the on-going commitment into our bedrooms and spa facilities in January 2014. I am glad that you could see the service changes in breakfast that we have been acting upon and will continue to work on whilst in this temperately location.

I look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to see this dramatic transformation. Please feel free to contact myself directly if I can be of any assistance with this.

Yours sincerely,
Pamela McAllister

Write a ReviewReviews (3,138)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Dated hotel, dated room poor mattress and very noisy. Breakfast fatty and swimming in grease ,overcrowded table setting - poor service . Thank goodness we got a deal but to be honest would only have been prepared to pay half again has we known what it was like!!

Room Tip: No tip for a good room

Dear momg23,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

It was disappointing to note that you did not enjoy you stay with us.

We have acted upon our guests feedback, and as such our hotel is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests.

I do hope that you will return in the very near future to experience this and I can assure you, you will have a memorable stay for all the right reasons.

Thank you once again for your review.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about ten times in the last 2 years and from thinking it is a fantastic hotel my recent visit has made me reappraise this. The room I had was clean but it really needs a makeover. The wardrobe door fell off, the sink was badly chipped and the carpet stained. The highpoint of my previous stays were the breakfasts, they were fantastic. Unfortunately the ground floor restaurant is being refurbed and the breakfast is now "served" on the first floor. The room has so many tables crammed in there is no room to get to the buffet. Maybe that was an omen as having reached the buffet it was terrible. Fatty bacon and no eggs (you have to order them which takes some time). Staff were very quick to serve an initial cup of coffee/tea but it seemed impossible to get their attention for top ups. Clearly the management are reading the poor reviews on the breakfasts but it seems they are not acting on it. On the positive side the reception staff are really pleasant and helpful and the location is great. Based on this stay I will use another hotel until the reviews start to show improvements.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jar1,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our recent guests feedback is relating to the relocation of our breakfast service and quality of food items. Daily I am reviewing all our guests feedback and acting upon it with the team in both service and in the kitchen. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion you feel otherwise and did not enjoy it. Breakfast Service will resume next week when our newly refurbished and rebranded restaurant is up and running. Our bedroom refurbishments will commence in January 2014 along with our spa facilities.

It would be a great shame to lose you as a valuable Macdonald hotels customer due to this temporary enhancement that you will most certainly benefit from, as when complete the hotel will be drastically transformed.

We do take our customer feedback very seriously as it is vital in helping us maintain our high level of standards, therefore, I do hope you will choose to reconsider and return.

Best wishes

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This was our third visit to this hotel and sadly our last. We were visiting Edinburgh and chose Macdonalds as we really enjoyed our previous experiences. The hotel is undergoing a refurbish programme and the dining room has been allocated to the first floor. The function room lacks any warmth or atmosphere not at all the kind of room you would want to have breakfast. Food was cold, and unappetising. On one occasion there wasn't even any scrambled eggs. I asked staff for some and when they arrived they were disgusting. They certainly did not taste like fresh eggs, I noticed other guests had the same view as myself as there was plates with scrambled eggs left on most the tables. Very disappointing.
On the plus side reception staff were all lovely. Very chatty and friendly.
Our room although dated was very clean and comfortable and serviced daily.
It's such a shame standards have slipped , hopefully once the refurb is finished things will get back to how they once were.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dunhallin

Dear Dunhallin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

As mentioned we are undergoing the first phase of our refurbishment works to add value to our guests experience. I am sorry you feel let down due to this and the breakfast service we are offering, as you can see from the previous reviews we have relocated our breakfast service to our conference and banqueting floor whilst the works are complete. We are still offering a full buffet style breakfast with freshly cooked eggs to order which is not uncommon across Macdonald hotels and reports.

I am glad that you found the Reception team pleasant and that room was clean.

Its most disappointing that you have chosen not to return to us to experience this fantastic transformation, along with our new bedrooms and spa. Should you reconsider in the near future then please feel free to contact myself directly and I will be happy to assist .

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed here for two night 9th/10th November as it was my partners birthday we thought a trip away would be nice. The room itself was nice, clean and spacious. There was a minor issue with the wardrobe doors not sure what was wrong with them but they didnt run smoothly, we just left them open saved the hassle of battling with them.
The main reason we booked this hotel is because it provided spa facilites which meant we could enjoy the use of the pool and relaxing in the sauna/steam room whilst there. The area of the pool and facilities itself was clean, well maintained however the changing rooms was a different story the tiles were chipped and tatty looking in the shower area, the whole changing area looked dated (broken lockers, dull light showers, damaged tiles) could do with an upgrade.
There was building work going on when we stayed at the hotel, the resturant was closed (this wasnt mentioned when i booked and the receptionist never mentioned it on booking in) As a result Breakfast was serviced in a function room on the 1st floor. Breakfast was a BIG LET DOWN. The selection was limited a few types of cereal, no cold meats and cheeses. The cooked breakfast was awful - sausages were pale barely cooked, bacon was really fatty again barely cooked, scrambled egg tasteless. The only other items to choose was mushrooms which looked soggy, tomato that wasnt exactly fried/grilled and beans. What me and my partner did have of the cooked breakfast on the first day it was all cold and we couldnt stomach it. Not only this but the toasters were also out of action. It also took the serving staff a good 10 minutes to come round and fill my cup with tea...........there was loads of staff too. On the second day the cooked breakfast didnt look much better so we just had cereal. (I have to say a rather expensive cereal breakfast considering we paid to have what we thought would be a good cooked breakfast) Premier Inn breakfasts are way better! Could learn a lot

1  Thank kat21x

Dear Kat21x,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Firstly may I apologise for any inconvenience caused during our refurbishment works.

As you have touched upon the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. As a result of this work we are currently offering breakfast in an alternative area. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are very limited to space in the temporary dining room. We are still offering the full Macdonald signature breakfast from shaving dishes in a buffet style with eggs to order, however the food items are all still them same. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that we will continue to review our operational plans daily so that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum over the remaining week. Our bedroom & Spa facilities will start to be refurbished in phased sections commencing in January 2014.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and experience this exciting transformation. If there is anything I can do to enhance a future stay with the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel then please feel free to contact myself directly.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed for 1 night at this Hotel.
On booking we were advised a parking space would be available, this was not the case and we had to park our car at the NCP further away.
The Hotel was undergoing refurb during our stay which we were not advised of.
The breakfast was served out of a function room.
On arrival for breakfast we were told there would be a 15 min wait, no refreshments were offered. Inside the function room it felt like a soul less airport lounge. The hot buffet was appalling - fatty bacon, watery tasteless eggs, slimy mushrooms, undercooked sausages. The continental choice had some basic cereals and fruits. No pastries, cold meats, cheese, yogurts or bread variety. Very poor selection. On check out we advised reception of our disappointment, they acknowledged that others had also complained.
Definitely not 4 star, and will never go back and will not be recommending to others.

1  Thank vivarioja
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear vivarioja,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Firstly may I apologise for any inconvenience and mix up in relation to our car parking. We do advise guests to book as we are limited to space, I am sorry this may have been over looked by the team upon arrival.

I was surprised to note that our signature breakfast did not meet your expectations. As you have touched upon we are undergoing an extensive refurbishment of our bar & restaurant to which we have relocated breakfast temporarily into another part of the hotel, however we are still offering a full Macdonald breakfast range with cooking all eggs to order. I can only presume you arrived at a peak time when such items were being replenished. Please be assured that we continue to review our operational plans so that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum.

Thank you once again for your comments, such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor our operation and make improvements where necessary.

We do hope that you will reconsider and return to the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel to experience our amazing transformation along with a memorable stay for all the right reasons. If there is anything I can do to help enhance a future visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at the Holyrood Hotel from 7th - 10th Nov. We were on the 6th floor in an executive room which was clean and warm so not what others have reported.

Hotel does look a bit tired and a few areas need attention-- linen in bedrooms worn or just poor quality and curtains -- the latter looked dated. Breakfast was mediocre--eggs limited to scrambled --but this may have been linked to building works at least I hope so.

However, the staff were welcoming and went out of their way to accommodate requests e.g fresh milk in bedroom for tea, check in early. Nice touches like chocolates left in bedroom each evening.

As far as the position of the hotel is concerned we found that it was perfect as we quite like walking as you discover what a great city Edinburgh is --most sites were within a 10 min walk
but the Scottish Parliament and Holyrood just round the corner 3 mins away.

I think with some refreshing/modernisation of the decor , investment in bed linen /bedding and the opening of the new restaurant Holyrood might get more positive comments.

Web loved our time in Edinburg at the Holyrood and would return.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th Floor Room 614 at the back of the building -- so quiet
1  Thank Gerry52_12

Dear Gerry52_12,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us.

Within Macdonald Hotels and Resorts we do actively listen to our customers feedback. As you are aware the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in them. As a result of this work we are currently offering Breakfast in an alternative area. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are very limited to what we are able to offer. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, however we are offering a range of eggs to order. Please be assured that we continue to review our operational plans over the remaining weeks.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed our central location and that the team were warm and welcoming. If I can assist with enhancing a future stay then please do feel free to contact myself directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to experience our fantastic transformation.

Warmest regards