“Definitely not 4 star standard!”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #54 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dundee
“Definitely not 4 star standard!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

So disappointed! We took our two grandchildren to Edinburgh for a treat.We were going to see the Lion King the following day and they were looking forward to us having room service( bit midnight feastie but earlier) I was asked at reception if we had stayed there before and I replied in the negative.I would have thought the receptionist therefore might have mentioned how we needed to put our room card into a box to light the room. It was pitch black in the room but we found the phone and by the iPad light called reception for the secret. After 6 minutes of ringing ...eureka!!There were quite a few niggles. 1. Though 4 of us in the room( extra 2 beds in situ)only 2 cups on tray and weirdly 1 biscuit. 2. Carpet repaired but stained.The wardrobe door stuck. 4.No information on Room service....Oh no! yes there was a piece of paper stuck under the glass of the dressing table.We could have soup,sandwiches, Caesar salad and very little else. Certainly one of the most limited room service menus I have seen in a 4 star hotel. If I had been warned before I made the booking that the restaurant was being altered and not fully operational I really would not have booked.
The final straw was the breakfast.I fully and totally agree with other reviewers and would go as far as to say"It was appalling". My husband and I have spent all our working lives in the airline industry and have consequentially stayed in many beautiful hotels world wide. He says he has never had such a revolting cooked breakfast. Yes the staff were filling your tea/coffee regularly but somehow it was never hot. I waited a good 10 minutes for the bread to be replaced at the "toast station" and then the toasters took longer than I have ever seen a toaster take.
The staff themselves were extremely pleasant,particularly the valet parking men. The beds and room were clean .Would we go there again? No I don't think so.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Margaret A,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

Firstly may I apologise for any inconvenience as a result of not being advised on how to operate the lights in your room.

I would like to assure you that your experience is not at all reflective of the usually high standards and quality that we pride ourselves upon delivering at the Holyrood. As you are aware the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. As a result of this work we are currently offering Breakfast in an alternative area. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are very limited to what we are able to offer as our Kitchens are also under going works. I do sympathise with you in that you feel let down by not being informed of such work and would have booked elsewhere had you known. Please be assured that I am reviewing our operational plans so that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum over this remaining week.

Thank you once again for your comments, such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor our operation and make improvements where necessary.

We do hope that you will reconsider and return to the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel to experience our amazing transformation along with a memorable stay for all the right reasons. If there is anything I can do to help enhance a future visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Pamela McAllister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tunnag
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Fresh, modern and generously proportioned rooms. A comfortable night's sleep and efficient staff. Ideal for a business visit, I wouldn't choose it for leisure or romance. The breakfast buffet is fine - functional.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Tunnag,

Thank you for taking the time to offer such an honest and positive review.

I am delighted overall you enjoyed a lovely stay with us.

We will be reviewing our Leisure and Romance packages once our facilities have been refurbished in the coming months, we do hope you will come back and experience them.

We look forward to welcoming you back on business or pleasure in the very near future!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

On reading some comments after booking this hotel we arrived rather apprehensively. The reception staff were very helpful and our car was taken away to be parked. The room was clean,spacious and well equiped. Although there were major refurbishments going on they did not spoil our stay. The room that breakfast was served in was acceptable and didn't seem to cause any problems on the morning we used it. Yes the breakfast wasn't as hot as I would have liked it but we certainly didn't go away hungry and the waiter with the tea/coffee was continuously walking around. If we were to stay in Edinburgh again we would return to this hotel and look forward to seeing the refurbishment facilities.

Room Tip: 502 had good open view of Arthur's Seat.
Dear JMMERC,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am pleased you found you room to be clean and in order when you arrived and that the reception team took care of you.

We are undergoing an exciting refurbishment that will most certainly add value to our guests experience here at the hotel, along with the on-going commitment into our bedrooms and spa facilities in January 2014. I am glad that you could see the service changes in breakfast that we have been acting upon and will continue to work on whilst in this temperately location.

I look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to see this dramatic transformation. Please feel free to contact myself directly if I can be of any assistance with this.

Yours sincerely,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Dated hotel, dated room poor mattress and very noisy. Breakfast fatty and swimming in grease ,overcrowded table setting - poor service . Thank goodness we got a deal but to be honest would only have been prepared to pay half again has we known what it was like!!

Room Tip: No tip for a good room
Dear momg23,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

It was disappointing to note that you did not enjoy you stay with us.

We have acted upon our guests feedback, and as such our hotel is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests.

I do hope that you will return in the very near future to experience this and I can assure you, you will have a memorable stay for all the right reasons.

Thank you once again for your review.

Ipswich,UK
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about ten times in the last 2 years and from thinking it is a fantastic hotel my recent visit has made me reappraise this. The room I had was clean but it really needs a makeover. The wardrobe door fell off, the sink was badly chipped and the carpet stained. The highpoint of my previous stays were the breakfasts, they were fantastic. Unfortunately the ground floor restaurant is being refurbed and the breakfast is now "served" on the first floor. The room has so many tables crammed in there is no room to get to the buffet. Maybe that was an omen as having reached the buffet it was terrible. Fatty bacon and no eggs (you have to order them which takes some time). Staff were very quick to serve an initial cup of coffee/tea but it seemed impossible to get their attention for top ups. Clearly the management are reading the poor reviews on the breakfasts but it seems they are not acting on it. On the positive side the reception staff are really pleasant and helpful and the location is great. Based on this stay I will use another hotel until the reviews start to show improvements.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jar1,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our recent guests feedback is relating to the relocation of our breakfast service and quality of food items. Daily I am reviewing all our guests feedback and acting upon it with the team in both service and in the kitchen. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion you feel otherwise and did not enjoy it. Breakfast Service will resume next week when our newly refurbished and rebranded restaurant is up and running. Our bedroom refurbishments will commence in January 2014 along with our spa facilities.

It would be a great shame to lose you as a valuable Macdonald hotels customer due to this temporary enhancement that you will most certainly benefit from, as when complete the hotel will be drastically transformed.

We do take our customer feedback very seriously as it is vital in helping us maintain our high level of standards, therefore, I do hope you will choose to reconsider and return.

Best wishes
Inverness
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

This was our third visit to this hotel and sadly our last. We were visiting Edinburgh and chose Macdonalds as we really enjoyed our previous experiences. The hotel is undergoing a refurbish programme and the dining room has been allocated to the first floor. The function room lacks any warmth or atmosphere not at all the kind of room you would want to have breakfast. Food was cold, and unappetising. On one occasion there wasn't even any scrambled eggs. I asked staff for some and when they arrived they were disgusting. They certainly did not taste like fresh eggs, I noticed other guests had the same view as myself as there was plates with scrambled eggs left on most the tables. Very disappointing.
On the plus side reception staff were all lovely. Very chatty and friendly.
Our room although dated was very clean and comfortable and serviced daily.
It's such a shame standards have slipped , hopefully once the refurb is finished things will get back to how they once were.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dunhallin
Dear Dunhallin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

As mentioned we are undergoing the first phase of our refurbishment works to add value to our guests experience. I am sorry you feel let down due to this and the breakfast service we are offering, as you can see from the previous reviews we have relocated our breakfast service to our conference and banqueting floor whilst the works are complete. We are still offering a full buffet style breakfast with freshly cooked eggs to order which is not uncommon across Macdonald hotels and reports.

I am glad that you found the Reception team pleasant and that room was clean.

Its most disappointing that you have chosen not to return to us to experience this fantastic transformation, along with our new bedrooms and spa. Should you reconsider in the near future then please feel free to contact myself directly and I will be happy to assist .

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards
inverness
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed here for two night 9th/10th November as it was my partners birthday we thought a trip away would be nice. The room itself was nice, clean and spacious. There was a minor issue with the wardrobe doors not sure what was wrong with them but they didnt run smoothly, we just left them open saved the hassle of battling with them.
The main reason we booked this hotel is because it provided spa facilites which meant we could enjoy the use of the pool and relaxing in the sauna/steam room whilst there. The area of the pool and facilities itself was clean, well maintained however the changing rooms was a different story the tiles were chipped and tatty looking in the shower area, the whole changing area looked dated (broken lockers, dull light showers, damaged tiles) could do with an upgrade.
There was building work going on when we stayed at the hotel, the resturant was closed (this wasnt mentioned when i booked and the receptionist never mentioned it on booking in) As a result Breakfast was serviced in a function room on the 1st floor. Breakfast was a BIG LET DOWN. The selection was limited a few types of cereal, no cold meats and cheeses. The cooked breakfast was awful - sausages were pale barely cooked, bacon was really fatty again barely cooked, scrambled egg tasteless. The only other items to choose was mushrooms which looked soggy, tomato that wasnt exactly fried/grilled and beans. What me and my partner did have of the cooked breakfast on the first day it was all cold and we couldnt stomach it. Not only this but the toasters were also out of action. It also took the serving staff a good 10 minutes to come round and fill my cup with tea...........there was loads of staff too. On the second day the cooked breakfast didnt look much better so we just had cereal. (I have to say a rather expensive cereal breakfast considering we paid to have what we thought would be a good cooked breakfast) Premier Inn breakfasts are way better! Could learn a lot

1 Thank kat21x
Dear Kat21x,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Firstly may I apologise for any inconvenience caused during our refurbishment works.

As you have touched upon the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. As a result of this work we are currently offering breakfast in an alternative area. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are very limited to space in the temporary dining room. We are still offering the full Macdonald signature breakfast from shaving dishes in a buffet style with eggs to order, however the food items are all still them same. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that we will continue to review our operational plans daily so that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum over the remaining week. Our bedroom & Spa facilities will start to be refurbished in phased sections commencing in January 2014.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and experience this exciting transformation. If there is anything I can do to enhance a future stay with the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel then please feel free to contact myself directly.

Kind regards