So disappointed! We took our two grandchildren to Edinburgh for a treat.We were going to see the Lion King the following day and they were looking forward to us having room service( bit midnight feastie but earlier) I was asked at reception if we had stayed there before and I replied in the negative.I would have thought the receptionist therefore might have mentioned how we needed to put our room card into a box to light the room. It was pitch black in the room but we found the phone and by the iPad light called reception for the secret. After 6 minutes of ringing ...eureka!!There were quite a few niggles. 1. Though 4 of us in the room( extra 2 beds in situ)only 2 cups on tray and weirdly 1 biscuit. 2. Carpet repaired but stained.The wardrobe door stuck. 4.No information on Room service....Oh no! yes there was a piece of paper stuck under the glass of the dressing table.We could have soup,sandwiches, Caesar salad and very little else. Certainly one of the most limited room service menus I have seen in a 4 star hotel. If I had been warned before I made the booking that the restaurant was being altered and not fully operational I really would not have booked.
The final straw was the breakfast.I fully and totally agree with other reviewers and would go as far as to say"It was appalling". My husband and I have spent all our working lives in the airline industry and have consequentially stayed in many beautiful hotels world wide. He says he has never had such a revolting cooked breakfast. Yes the staff were filling your tea/coffee regularly but somehow it was never hot. I waited a good 10 minutes for the bread to be replaced at the "toast station" and then the toasters took longer than I have ever seen a toaster take.
The staff themselves were extremely pleasant,particularly the valet parking men. The beds and room were clean .Would we go there again? No I don't think so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Edinburgh's old town, adjacent to the Scottish Parliament, Macdonald Holyrood Hotel is one of the city's leading hotels which has recently completed a £2.5million investment. Whatever your reason for staying, visiting on business or visiting the fascinating city of Edinburgh, you'll find our bedrooms are some of the most comfortable in town, our Vital Health Club is ideal to unwind in and our brand new Roccas restaurant is stylish and sophisticated, serving the best quality Scottish home comforts with an Italian twist. A meal, afternoon tea or champagne at the bar is certainly not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Lastminute, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Prestigia, Priceline, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Holyrood Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Holyrood Edinburgh
- Hotel Macdonald Holyrood
- Macdonald Holyrood Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland