“staff are fab”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Scotland, UK
“staff are fab”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The staff at this hotel made my wife and my stay just so special, nothing seems to be a hassle to them to keep you happy.
example after only one night stay we asked if we could leave our luggage with them while we explored more of Edinburgh.. Not a problem sir was the reply.
A 4 **** hotel with 5 ***** workers. keep it up,
We would stay here again not a problem... p.s . Edinburgh is just such a great City

Room Tip: we never heard 1 sound from any other rooms in the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear PETER w,

Thank you so much for a glowing review, we very much appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback.

Our primary aim here at the hotel is to exceed our guests expectations in the services and products we provide, the team will be very encouraged by your comments. I am so pleased that you were so well looked after.

I look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel very soon to see our exciting new Rocca restaurant and bar!

Pamela McAllister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The room was on a discount deal which made it seem very good value for money, but the hotel is undergoing renovations making bar & catering facilities rather lacking. I would not have been happy if I had paid full price for the room & turned up to find it in the state that it's currently in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear SarahC,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was sorry to note that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We have been undergoing the first phase of our refurbishment works to our ground floor areas, unfortunately we have had to relocate our bar and dining facilities to our conference and banqueting floor in order to provide as best a service as possible. As this work is now complete I do hope you give us another chance as you will be pleasantly surprise at the transformation. Please feel free to contact myself directly and I will be happy to assist with any future bookings.

Thank you once again for your feedback, such feedback is vitally important to us in order to maintain standards and monitor service.

Kindest regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Very good customer service. Room was dated but maybe the refurbishment that is gping on will sort that out. The cooked buffet breakfast was mixed - the bacon didn't look good enough to be worth trying, but what I did eat was good. Perfect location for Holyrood or Our Dynamic Earth. Tesco Metro nearby too.

Dear MattDavies2000,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location and that our customer service shown through whilst you were staying with us.

We are undergo a phased refurbishment to which will bring a whole new look and feel to the hotel, especially after running for 14 years.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we do hope to welcome you back very soon!

Kindest regards
Hale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Location, location and location is a key element for any successful hotel business. Whilst Edinburgh isn't a huge city like New York where you really need to be careful when selecting which burough to base yourself in, the Macdonald Holyrood hotel has some fantastic local delights within "a stone's throw" from the front desk.

The hotel itself is fine. There is some refurbishment happening in the lobby, but that did not negatively impact my stay at all. In fact, I thought this hotel delivers value-for-money and ultimately that's one of my primary hotel selection drivers.

Super comfortable bed, rocket-speed free Wi-Fi and that key ingredient "warm and friendly hospitality".

So when you stay here, just up the road at 9A Holyrood is a great local pub with a huge range of boutique beers, ales and ciders. But that's not all. This pub also hosts "Burger Heaven". We ate there two nights in a row, on the second night we invited 8 business partners (so we were a table of 10) and everyone LOVED it (and it's a 6 minute stroll from Macdonald Holyrood Hotel).

Two more local tips. Eat an awesome roast pork roll at Oink and then wash that down with an amazing smoothie from the Hula Juice Bar (Nutty Professor was my epic smoothie-of-choice).

Room Tip: A room on the 1st floor means you don't have to deal with an elevator (lift) in the morning for...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Emufi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you and enjoyed your stay with us, found our location of great benefit, room clean and comfortable along with our warm and friendly staff. I have shared your kind feedback to the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Holyrood Hotel again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Forfar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Had a great night stay at the MacDonald Holyrood Hotel with my mum on Tuesday 19 November.
I booked through a special offer on Itison for a night stay and a chocolates and two glasses of Prosecco.
We arrived and we noticed that work was taking place at reception and work men moving about but they did not bother us.
We also arrived a bit early but we where given the key card for our room which was on the bottom floor which we had the a view of the Offices of the Scottish Parliament, the room was nice and clean, the only downside the basin in the bathroom was cracked badly.

Due to the restaurant not available breakfast was in the conference rooms which was fine I have to say I not keen on a cook breakfast but when I lifted up the individual cooked items and I closed the lids very quickly the only item I put on my plate was sausages the others I would not put on my plate. I was disappointed as I had been told how great the breakfasts are at the Hotel.
Plus we did get two cups of tea and then one of the guys decided to ignore for the rest of time we were there for our breakfast he would pour tea and coffee at the both sides of the room and ignore us, so we went back to our room for another cup of tea and then checked out.

Overall the stay was nice and would go back but just these little things that disappointed the both of us.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Patch1976,

Many thanks for taking the time to submit a review of the Hotel. We very much appreciate all our guest feedback.

I am sorry that the refurbishment works caused you some inconvenience toward you whilst dinning for breakfast. As a result of this work we are currently offering Breakfast in an alternative area as you touched upon. We are endeavouring to deliver the same high standards with our signature breakfast that we are well known for , however we have been very limited to space during the works. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit and that the team over looked your needs.

I am very glad that you and your mother did enjoy your overall stay.

Best wishes
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here recently on a a cheap deal (as the restaurant was closed for refurbishment). The room was large and spotless, but had a small bed and was a bit stark, with typical large hotel furniture. The health club gym was good, but the pool area is showing its age and could do with refurbishment. Breakfast was dreadful, presumably as the main kitchen was being refurbished along with the restaurant (at least i hope that was the case, otherwise it was inexcusable in this standard of hotel).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Alanthe Trekker,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was pleased to note you found your room clean and spotless.

As you are have touched upon the hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work which is due for completion this week. We have been currently serving Breakfast in an alternative area whilst these works have be taking place. Whilst we are endeavouring to deliver the same high standard we are very limited to what we are able to offer as our Kitchens are also under going works. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. Please be assured that your experience is not at all reflective of the usually high standards and quality that we pride ourselves upon delivering at the Holyrood.

Along with our on-going commitment to invest in the hotel, we are about to undergo a phased refurbishment of our bedrooms and spa which will commence January 2014. We do hope that you will return to see for yourself our fantastic transformation.

Kindest Regards
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Situated near Holyrood, the hotel is very handy for the city centre. There are a reasonable amount of restaurants within 5 minutes walk, including David Bann, the very good vegetarian restaurant. Edinburgh Central station is around a 10 minute walk. Stayed midweek and at £80, including breakfast I'd say it was fairly good value.

Staff were polite and helpful, moving me from a room I didn't like (due to it facing the alley to the left of the hotel which has some noisy air con units - probably only likely to trouble the more sensitive to noise). The room was relatively spacious and comfortable but did seem to lack any hotel information guide. Breakfast featured a reasonable range of food - good cereals, breads, pastries, fruit, cooked meat and cheese etc. as well as offering a cooked breakfast and kippers. I didn't use the gym, spa or restaurant. The latter was closed due to refurbishment, although I was told this when I booked.

Gideon Bibles also feature prominen

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear MnsrLarousse,

Many thanks for your review of the hotel.

I am glad you found our location of benefit to you and that you and that the team looked after you.

We very much appreciate all our guest feedback as it is a useful tool to monitor the operation and tweak changes were required.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!