“Lovely hotel”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Went to Edinburgh for a wee Christmas treat (without the children!). Stayed here as it was a bit fancier than our usual family breaks and because it was a great location and had a pool! We got a good deal on price by checking around too. And it was everything that we could have hoped for! Friendly staff, lovely breakfast (definitely recommend booking the breakfast when you book the hotel as it's a lot cheaper!), a good sized pool and a great room. Could not have been happier. (Only problem was that pool was closed for maintenance once when we wanted to use it - but I suppose this can't be helped!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel D
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear RachelD,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and location.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the friendly staff, I will certainly share this with them.

Looking forward to your return on a future visit to Edinburgh.

Warm regards

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Holyrood Hotel

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Nice hotel overall and staff friendly and helpful. Good pool and spa area, and room nice and clean and tidy.

However the food prices are a rip off so I won t be staying again. After a long journey and working all day on route from England I was really looking forward to a nice meal. Prices were so steep I couldn t afford to have a decent size 3 course meal so made do with just the salmon main - I ve seen bigger goldfish !!

Hope breakfast is better value for money.

Avoid if you have a healthy appetite.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear DaleBellis,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was disappointed to note that you were not able to enjoy a 3 course meal in our fabulous new Rocca restaurant. I’ve had great feedback since it opened in December about the wide choice, the quality portion size and value for money. Our prices are very favourable in comparison to many city centre restaurants ranging from an early bird offer with 2 course at £10.95, 3 course daily market menu at £25.00 to our a la carte menu with mains from £8.95 to Roasted Lamb at £17.95.

This of course is matter of your opinion to which we very much value.

I am sorry you may not wish to return due to this.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Booked 1 night for a theatre visit. Great location just of the Royal Mile next, easy walking distance to city centre and attractions. Although we knew Edinburgh quite well, reception staff were able to help with locations and walking distance, however a taxi rank is available opposite the hotel. Tesco Express open until 11pm just 2 mins walk away should you need it which is also handy.

Decent check in time of 2pm meant we would of have had adequate time to use the Gym or Swimming Pool should we have wished to. Parking can be prebooked for £25 overnight or you can chance your luck and get it for £20 on the day subject to availability.

Staff at the bar were very attentive and breakfast in the morning was lovely.

Only bug bear was room (424) was looking slightly tatty around the window and there was a slight draft, otherwise large spacious room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ignitonlab,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay, especially our location and your breakfast experience.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights this weekend. Had to phone on Friday morning as due to a last minute change of plan, we had to take our small wheelchair user son with us. This was no bother at all and the staff allocated us a larger room to accommodate the wheelchair! Was very impressed by this and all the other staff in the hotel. So friendly and accommodating. We will definitely be back. Ps: hubby recommends Mel's Swedish massage. He's going back for that alone

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear titan_diva,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was so pleased that you and your family all had a lovely stay with us . The team will be very encouraged by your feedback.

We look forward to you coming back for Mel’s Swedish massage!

Warmest regards

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here from 3rd to 5th January. Location is 10 mins walk or a £4 taxi journey. Every member of staff we spoke to was polite/friendly and helpful. General public areas were very well kept only slight issue was it was cold in the bar/lounge area even with a fire and additional fan heater.
Bedrooms- we stayed on the 5th floor they were clean. Some grubby stains on carpets and as previous comments the mattresses have seen better days BUT I slept well so I can't complain there was no noise and the rooms were dark enough.
Food - we stayed on a Dinner and breakfast package. Breakfast was superb. The choice was amazing and the quality fantastic. Saturday was very busy but the staff continued to smile through the service. It would not surprise me if there was mistakes but were all human. Dinner, the choice was limited menu but again unable to fault any of it. Overall a lovely relaxing stay.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear AIMEEB _9

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay despite the limited menu with the seasonal restrictions and that the hotel was full which meant breakfast was exceptionally busy.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Have stayed here several times and on each occasion the staff have been delightful.....nothing is too much trouble.
The rooms are comfortable but my only complaint is that in some rooms the quality of the bed is poor....the mattresses in some rooms are obviously either very old or of poor quality....I wake with backache due to a soft saggy mattress.
A pity such a small detail spoils the experience of this otherwise excellent hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Didge1

Dear Didge1,

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our delightful staff. I am sorry that you found your mattress to be of poor quality, I do hope your back is ok? We are about to undergo a £1.5 million refurbishment which commences on Monday, this will see all our rooms fully equipped with me beds.

We appreciate your continual custom to us and I hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon to experience this for yourself.

Best wishes

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Arrived at the hotel early 0812 am to my surprise the room was ready 10/10 and Frank the concierge showed us to the room what a great guy, best part of the hotel. This is where it goes badly wrong. Breakfast into restaurant 0930 am. Over a period of 1 hour & 15 minutes, the waitress asked us 4 time what we would like for breakfast, and then our hot breakfast arrived totally the opposite to what we ordered. I complained to the restaurant manager and to the hotel shift manager. The time of writing this review. I've still not had an explanation as to why we had such poor service. Out of 4 breakfast's only one breakfast we were serviced with, had the correct food. Other people had the same problem as they sometimes had our breakfast. Vis Versa
The hotel generally is pretty good. However the room we had which was on the 6th floor and for £250 per night was ok "but well overpriced". However there were some nice touches to the room, but not enough for £250. Silly little thing like the plug in the basin was attached from it's chain so you had to plunge in and try and pull the plug out. Leisure facilities ok again it need refurbishment.Checking out at 0630am there were severl items incorrect on my bill that's all we needed. But I must say the concierge guy sorted it out. Sorry don't know his name, but thank you. Would I stay at this hotel again YES but not at £250 per night. Sorry forgot to mention bar staff excellent.

Room Tip: Dont waste your money on the 6th floor not worth it
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear WalesHowell,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your detailed feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that was caused to you during your breakfast experience with us, this is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards that we have set ourselves. Appropriate action and re training has been taken given your feedback to which I would be happy to discuss directly with you. We do take on board all guest feedback for training and development needs in our business.

We are about to embark on an exciting £1.5 million bedroom refurbishment that will co inside with the new Rocca Bar & Restaurant. I do hope that you will return to experience this and that you will have a memorable stay for all the right reasons.

If I can be of further assistance with your concerns then please do not hesitate to contact me directly here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holyrood hotel and thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards