“Excellent hotel with all services centrally located in Edinburgh.”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #55 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Essex
“Excellent hotel with all services centrally located in Edinburgh.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Have stayed at this hotel twice in the last week. Great hotel with a gym in the basement. Excellent rooms with everything you would require. Service outstanding and very helpful, polite staff. Will definately use again.By the way the food is also eccellent.

• Stayed January 2014
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear WinkleEssex,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visits. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you well and you enjoyed your overall stay, twice in one week!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you once again for your feedback.

Warm regards
Pamela McAllister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The staff are brilliant. Very friendly and helpful. Downstairs the hotel is beautiful with comfy sofas and very smart ladies washrooms.
We stayed 2 nights on the 5th floor. The room was large and clean with a big tv and luxurious towels. It was let down however by a hard mattress, the headboard obviously the wrong size for the bed and the bed valance sheet being on the wrong way round, so the legs of the bed were visible at the end. Little things but not what you expect from a Macdonald hotel.
Would stay here again though as is in quiet location but not far from the Royal Mile and Holyrood. 15 minutes walk from the station. Didn't use spa or have breakfast so can't comment on those.

Dear Heather R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was very pleased to hear that the team made your stay special and that they were helpful throughout your stay.

It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to advise us of your comments. I am sorry you found that mattress to be uncomfortable. The Hotel is currently undergoing a £1.5 million refurbishment to 4 floors of our bedrooms, which will allow for all the interiors to be replaced along with new beds. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holyrood Hotel again in the future to experience this fantastic transformation.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Yours sincerely
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed here for a weekend on a B&B deal that made this cheaper than other travel hotels. The staff were excellent and made us feel welcome and were exceptionally helpful throughout our stay. We could not have asked for more.

Dear DJDustB,

Thank you for submitting a review of your recent stay at the hotel.

I was delighted to note that you have a lovely stay with us and that the team looked after you so well.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Warmest regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Another lovely stay at The Holyrood Hotel. Our room on the 3rd floor was spacious and comfortable and we appreciated the turn-down service and chocolates. Thank you also to the unseen person who polished my husband's shoes when he left them in the basket outside the room.A beautiful job!
Rocca's arrival at the Holyrood has brought an inspired change to the outdated restaurant that was previously there.There is now a stylish bar where you can enjoy a cocktail(I can recommend the Rob Roy!) wine or beer before moving through to the restaurant which has been beautifully refurbished.
A good choice of menus from pre-theatre, market menu or a la carte caters for all tastes I also noticed they offer a lovely inexpensive set lunch menu.
Rocca St Andrews ( a personal favourite) has justly achieved 3 AA rosettes and I imagine the Edinburgh team will be hoping to emulate that success. Good luck with that!
Finally a mention to the delightful staff. You make each return visit to the hotel a pleasure I look forward to seeing you again in April. Irene

2 Thank STARKEY
Dear STARKEY,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your return stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the service from the team and your dining experience at our new Rocca bar & Restaurant. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in April and thank you for your continual custom!

Best wishes
Reviewed 18 January 2014

let me begin by saying many thanks to terri on reception who handled my left wallet situation very quick also the irish gentleman on the bar and in the restaurant in the evening whom was very professional at his job also to sally our waitress who was very polite and ensuring that we had everything we required,the evening meal was very good value.The holyrood hotel is a great hotel with great features swimming pool sauna steam room therapy rooms our executive suite was very well cleaned good standards and had a great deal of space we found everything to our satisfaction now for the breakfast i must say for a 4* hotel the breakfast falls below the 4* standard compared to other hotels in edinburgh which excel in this area,i had scrambled egg with smoked salmon which was sent back the scrambled egg was fried which in my opinion is'nt the best way it overcooks to quick ( may have been liquid egg?) the salmon was not smoked as it said it was.i look forward to seeing if breakfast will be of better standard on my next visit to the holyrood hotel

many thanks

Mr Oldfield

Room Tip: we had an executive suite i would recommend one to anybody whom stays at the holyrood
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear toptourisuminspector,

I was delighted to read your review following your visit to our hotel and in particular Rocca.

It was a pleasure to learn of your enjoyment and I will ensure the team receives a copy of your feedback as I know they will all be encouraged to hear it, especially the staff you named. I am sorry to note that you did not find our signature breakfast to your liking, we pride ourselves in the fantastic produce and quality we offer which is disappointing when our guests do not experience this. I will certainly address this with our Head Chef.

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Best wishes
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I booked the hotel on hotels.com and made a mistake by booking a day later than intended. the mistake only became apparent when we turned up a day early. completely my fault but the hotel were understanding and worked with hotels.com to waiver any penalties to rebook for the day i wanted. the hotel was undergoing renovation but we were not troubled by this, any disruption was kept well away from guests. the bathroom was in need of some work but obviously will be done during renovations. breakfast wasnt the best but there was a very good choice. my biggest complaintbabout the stay was the £20 parking fee.....

Dear sjmate,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, we very much appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback.

I am glad the Reception team were able to assist you the mix up with your booking, however I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast and felt the car parking charge was over priced.

I would be happy to discuss your feedback in more detail if you would be like to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you once again for your value feedback and I do hope you will choose to return to us on a future trip to Edinburgh.

Kindest Regards
Shetland traveller
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Busy hotel in Edinburgh near the Royal Mile. We're staying here because we have a meeting round the corner in the morning. The room was comfortable, noisy fan for the heating, and decrepit armchairs, broken cup on the tray - bit lacking in attention to detail. Booked the dinner package - great value at this time of year. The food was good. Served the wrong drink - lack of attention to detail again. Breakfast was the most "gruelling" experience... the porridge was completely disgusting (don't even try it) - you couldn't even put up wallpaper with this bowl of brown lumpy, watery, mush. Clearly not a Scottish chef. I make mine overnight in the Aga and it's heavenly. Go for the continental if you stay here... Overall average, average and average.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 60-degreese-North
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear 60-degrees-north,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of the Macdonald Holyrood hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your overall stay and found us to be average. I can assure you that this is not at all reflective of our usually high standards and service we have set ourselves.

I will certainly take your feedback on board with the porridge and the attention to detail in our rooms as we undergo our £1.5 million refurbishment.

We do hope that you will choose to return in the very near future and if I can enhance a future stay for you then please feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Warmest regards