“Short Break”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for two nights. All the staff were very friendly and made us feel really welcome..Very clean very nice room on the ground floor.The food was excellent..Will certainly stay there again on our next trip to Edinburgh

1  Thank kazh15
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Kazh15,

Thank you for taking the time to review your short break here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular the food and service from the staff. I will certainly share your feedback with the Head Chef Glynn and his team. They are very passionate of the new food concept that Rocca brings to the Holyrood.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for two nights in February on business Front desk staff a tad frosty Restaurant refurb good although waiter had to take breakfast order twice as he said he lost the order Very basic twin room on ground floor bedding could do with an upgrade for a four star hotel I had to use both quilts to keep warm. Had to ring down for a hair dryer as none in room. I couldn't get the room to warm up and was kept awake by sound of air con vent all night I had to ring for ear plugs at 1.00am but unfortunately they had none. Have stayed in a no of Edinburgh hotels on business afraid probably won't stay in this one again

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Gaynor C
MacdonaldHolyrood, Owner at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Gaynor C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel following your stay with us.

I was disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that our fine service and standards we are best known for did not meet your expectations. I sincerely apologise for these short falls with the service and in your room. This is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that these matters have been addressed by our Maintenance Manager.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I do hope you will reconsider and will return to the hotel in the future. If I can be of any assistance with enhancing a future stay, please do feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a midweek break which we arranged ourselves. The hotel was warm and welcoming - even though it is being refurbished it did not impact on our stay. The Management seem to be at great pains to keep the work unobtrusive and sensitive to the Customer experience.
Our Room (222) was not refurbished but was comfortable and adequate, a little tired perhaps but certainly very acceptable. The spa was lovely and my wife had a little pampering (10% off for hotel guests.) I swam, saunered and steamed while she relaxed.
Because we booked directly we were given a handy £10.00 credit to spend on any hotel services and products which was a thoughtful bonus. Breakfast was great and plentiful with a wide choice of foods and options on how they were prepared. All the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and cheery at all times. In all honesty this hotel is by far the best value for pounds paid. I applaud the great service, great facilities, great comfort and great food - what more can you ask for??. Top marks from my wife and I..

1  Thank Northbriton
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Northbriton,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoy your visit, in particular the service from the team and our spa. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked for a weekend with my wife, The plan was to use the hotel as a bed and breakfast and roam about Edinburgh, unfortunately the weather had other ideas with horizontal rain being the order of the day. So other than a few hours on Saturday afternoon doing shopping and lunch we stayed in the hotel. The newly refurbished Roccas restaurant and bar proved to be welcome havens. The staff in both were both friendly and efficient with out being overbearing, in fact all the staff we had contact with were much of the same standard. There were a couple of very small issues with the room but as the hotel is being refurbished it would be churlish to make them an issue.
It is about 8 years since my last stay at the hotel but when I return to Edinburgh I will be happy to stay there again, though nicer weather would be nice.

Room Tip: Go for a club room on the top floor if only for the glass of fizz and canapes in the evening.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MuppetBMW,

Many thanks for submitting a review from your recent stay with us.

We are glad you enjoyed your 2nd visit to us even after 8 years, you will have seen a dramatic change with Rocca and now our bedroom and spa refurbishment which will be complete in May.

I am sorry the sun wasn’t shinning on Edinburgh when you came to stay, let’s hope it does the next time you visit so you can relax with our outside restaurant seating.

Thank you once again for your helpful review and recommendations.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Me and my Wife stayed here at the weekend on a honeymoon for 2 nights, we booked a standard double room, on arrival we was surprised by how big the room looked (it must of been an upgrade) we was also surprised to see a note from the manager saying happy honeymooning and a bottle of prosecco which was a really nice touch from the hotel. As for the room it was very nice, the only little complain I would say is that it seemed a bit chilly in our room at times. The Hotel Bar/Restaurant was very nice and wasn't too badly priced either, all of the staff were friendly and nice and I would highly recommend the hotel to everybody and its well worth its 4 star rating and offers good value for money. I am surprised to see that the hotel is rated quite low, me and my wife stayed at another hotel for our last night in Edinburgh which was a 5 star and we came away dissapointed from there due to how good the MacDonald hotel was.

Dear Snowie5,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Hotel following your stay.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the service, staff and our location. We hope you had a wonderful memorable Honeymoon.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back for your 1st Wedding Anniversary!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This hotel is very well situated for seeing dynamic earth, the Scottish Parliament, Holyrood House, and lots of other great places. The Royal Mile was walkable, and there is a taxi rank right across the road for those who do not want to walk. The staff were pleasant and helpful at all times - there is a major refurb going on, and an amazing amount of trouble has been taken to control noise and disruption to guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Greebo1,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a great review following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoy your visit, in particular the service from the team and our location. We appreciate such a helpful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Went with a large group - overall rooms were fine and buffet lunch and breakfasts were excellent. Most of the staff were friendly, particularly at the front desk. The reason I am not giving a better rating is the appalling bar service we received in the late evening. We had to argue with the bartender to serve us. It was getting near closing time but he said the bar was open but then could not work out how to pour drinks. We complained about the poor service and then he stormed off to the front desk. We were not a noisy crowd and considering we had over 20 rooms booked over two nights, we should have have been treated a lot better. Not sure if the bartender spoke English, but if he doesn't, this may have contributed to the confusion.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Aberlour11,

Thank you for your review from your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback.

I am pleased that you and your group enjoyed the stay overall, however I am sorry for any confusion that was caused with the bartender on the evening you were with us, I will have the matter addressed by our Bar Manager.

We do hope you will return when visiting Edinburgh in the very near future and if I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Kind regards