“First class hote”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Renfrew, Scotland, United Kingdom
“First class hote”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

After having a great experience of 3 weeks in the Macdonald Houston house hotel in Livingston, the Holyrood had a lot to live up to. From the first moment I arrived at 10.30pm on Sunday 16th February it looked like they were determined to rise to the challenge and it was impressive that the staff seemed to know the comments I had left on trip adviser regards their competitor. First impressions were good with modern reception area and a bar area that had a good feel/ buzz about it. "Jodie" greeted us with a warm friendly approach and was to work with us for the 5 days we were there(sometimes from 6am until 8pm on the same day) which made our stay memorable for all the right reasons "Holyroods answer to frank" for those that read my report last week. The rooms were fab and thanks for putting me on the 6th floor which had been recently renovated as my room was modern, bathroom fab and having my curtains closed at night as well as my covers turned down with a mint on my pillow "well I felt like royalty". Our food whether during the day at our conference facilities or at night in the restaurant was fantastic however we had to wait a couple of hours on 2 nights even tho the restaurant wasn't very busy which was a disappointment. Holyrood also have a "Frank" to look after you during your stay, even tho I only met him a couple of times, our delegates spoke highly of him. Overall I had another great experience at a Macdonald hotel, this time tho the bedrooms were very modern, there was a great atmosphere in the bar and I need to praise "Jodie Graham" who takes pride in her job as conference and banqueting manager with her customers at the centre of everything she does."thank you"

Room Tip: Go for a floor of 5 and above as recently renovated
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Brian C
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Brian C,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer such a helpful review from your recent stay and event with us here at the Holyrood Hotel.

It was lovely to hear upon your departure that your event was a success and that Jodie in particular looked after your groups every need.

I have also passed your feedback over to Glynn our Head Chef and his team regarding your kind comments about our food produce and quality throughout your visit.

It was our pleasure in looking after you and we can’t wait to have you back again for another event!

Pamela McAllister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel clearly has a great management team and a very happy workforce.

Our stay here was perfect from the second we arrived till the second we left.

Great Location
Recently refurbished rooms lovely
Food superb right down to your food being served on roasting hot plates
The staff make this hotel, everyone smiles and seams to care and enjoy their job.
Nothing to much trouble.
You even get greeted each day by your name, something rare in hotel of this size.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Macdonalds should not think twice in giving extra funding to complete refurbishment programme and try to get this hotel 5 star status as the workforce our already 5 star and a credit to the management team

We will definitely stay again.

Have some great offers as well so book soon.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Ian7450,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable second stay with us, particularly the helpful friendly staff. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

As you are have touched upon the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels across the group so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. So far Rocca Bar & Restaurant is complete along with the first phase of bedrooms. The Leisure facilities are currently underway. I am glad that you have experienced this fantastic transformation given it was your second stay with us.

We appreciate such a helpful review and I would like to thank you for your recommendations. I look forward to seeing you both very soon on a future visit.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for two nights. All the staff were very friendly and made us feel really welcome..Very clean very nice room on the ground floor.The food was excellent..Will certainly stay there again on our next trip to Edinburgh

1 Thank kazh15
Dear Kazh15,

Thank you for taking the time to review your short break here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular the food and service from the staff. I will certainly share your feedback with the Head Chef Glynn and his team. They are very passionate of the new food concept that Rocca brings to the Holyrood.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you once again for your feedback.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights in February on business Front desk staff a tad frosty Restaurant refurb good although waiter had to take breakfast order twice as he said he lost the order Very basic twin room on ground floor bedding could do with an upgrade for a four star hotel I had to use both quilts to keep warm. Had to ring down for a hair dryer as none in room. I couldn't get the room to warm up and was kept awake by sound of air con vent all night I had to ring for ear plugs at 1.00am but unfortunately they had none. Have stayed in a no of Edinburgh hotels on business afraid probably won't stay in this one again

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Gaynor C
MacdonaldHolyrood, Owner at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Gaynor C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel following your stay with us.

I was disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that our fine service and standards we are best known for did not meet your expectations. I sincerely apologise for these short falls with the service and in your room. This is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that these matters have been addressed by our Maintenance Manager.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I do hope you will reconsider and will return to the hotel in the future. If I can be of any assistance with enhancing a future stay, please do feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Darlington Co Durham
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a midweek break which we arranged ourselves. The hotel was warm and welcoming - even though it is being refurbished it did not impact on our stay. The Management seem to be at great pains to keep the work unobtrusive and sensitive to the Customer experience.
Our Room (222) was not refurbished but was comfortable and adequate, a little tired perhaps but certainly very acceptable. The spa was lovely and my wife had a little pampering (10% off for hotel guests.) I swam, saunered and steamed while she relaxed.
Because we booked directly we were given a handy £10.00 credit to spend on any hotel services and products which was a thoughtful bonus. Breakfast was great and plentiful with a wide choice of foods and options on how they were prepared. All the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and cheery at all times. In all honesty this hotel is by far the best value for pounds paid. I applaud the great service, great facilities, great comfort and great food - what more can you ask for??. Top marks from my wife and I..

1 Thank Northbriton
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Northbriton,

I was pleased to note that you enjoy your visit, in particular the service from the team and our spa. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Lanarkshire
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked for a weekend with my wife, The plan was to use the hotel as a bed and breakfast and roam about Edinburgh, unfortunately the weather had other ideas with horizontal rain being the order of the day. So other than a few hours on Saturday afternoon doing shopping and lunch we stayed in the hotel. The newly refurbished Roccas restaurant and bar proved to be welcome havens. The staff in both were both friendly and efficient with out being overbearing, in fact all the staff we had contact with were much of the same standard. There were a couple of very small issues with the room but as the hotel is being refurbished it would be churlish to make them an issue.
It is about 8 years since my last stay at the hotel but when I return to Edinburgh I will be happy to stay there again, though nicer weather would be nice.

Room Tip: Go for a club room on the top floor if only for the glass of fizz and canapes in the evening.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MuppetBMW,

Many thanks for submitting a review from your recent stay with us.

We are glad you enjoyed your 2nd visit to us even after 8 years, you will have seen a dramatic change with Rocca and now our bedroom and spa refurbishment which will be complete in May.

I am sorry the sun wasn’t shinning on Edinburgh when you came to stay, let’s hope it does the next time you visit so you can relax with our outside restaurant seating.

Thank you once again for your helpful review and recommendations.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Me and my Wife stayed here at the weekend on a honeymoon for 2 nights, we booked a standard double room, on arrival we was surprised by how big the room looked (it must of been an upgrade) we was also surprised to see a note from the manager saying happy honeymooning and a bottle of prosecco which was a really nice touch from the hotel. As for the room it was very nice, the only little complain I would say is that it seemed a bit chilly in our room at times. The Hotel Bar/Restaurant was very nice and wasn't too badly priced either, all of the staff were friendly and nice and I would highly recommend the hotel to everybody and its well worth its 4 star rating and offers good value for money. I am surprised to see that the hotel is rated quite low, me and my wife stayed at another hotel for our last night in Edinburgh which was a 5 star and we came away dissapointed from there due to how good the MacDonald hotel was.

Dear Snowie5,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Hotel following your stay.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the service, staff and our location. We hope you had a wonderful memorable Honeymoon.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back for your 1st Wedding Anniversary!