“Rooms in need of refurbishment - food and staff very good.”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have stayed at the hotel before and returned this time with two young children. Restaurant has been updated and the food is very good and the staff were lovely but the room 401 is badly in need of refurbishment. Threadbare carpet and a sofa bed that our daughter could not sleep in which I tried - very uncomfortable. On inspection the underneath was broken - if my son had crawled under, he would have been seriously injured. Main bed was uncomfortable - it would not cost much for a new mattress and pillows. Be careful if you have pre booked a package - I had to challenge the bill three times with reception staff who tried to charge me extras for meals that were inclusive. I will return with my family but not until the refurbishment is complete.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear David F,

Thank you for offering your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel from your recent visit with your family.

It was lovely to note that the staff looked after you and that you enjoyed your meal in Rocca, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the maintenance shortfalls you experienced in your room. We do take our guest safety and wellbeing as a top priority and have regularly inspections to ensure that our rooms and furnishings are in good working order.

I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that this matter has been addressed by both our Maintenance Manager and Head Housekeeper.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope that you will return with your family on a future visit to Edinburgh and if I can personally enhance a future stay for you all please feel free to contact myself here at the hotel.

Pamela McAllister

Write a ReviewReviews (3,139)

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My daughter and I have recently stayed at the McDonald Holyrood hotel for two nights. The staff on the reception desk could not have been nicer or more helpful. We were given a room on the ground floor which was basic but clean. The beds were uncomfortable but for two nights we put up with them. We felt a few little things let the hotel down - we had to go looking for staff every time we were in the bar area and on the first night we ordered a pot of tea which never arrived even though the bar was not particularly busy - after three quarters of an hour we gave up and went back to the room for one. We don't pamper ourselves much so we thought we would have our nails done in the spa. We appreciated the fact that the refurb was going on in the spa area but felt that the man we spoke to for an appointment was quite abrupt with us. He told us they were very busy so we said we wouldn't bother however he did make us an appointment for the next day. We went for our appointment (it was only a file and polish) but we were rushed into a room - told to pick a colour and then rushed through the whole thing. When the spa girls were finished they stood up, said we could sit for a bit and then they left (didn't feel very pampered at all)!!! Never mind - we love Edinburgh and may go back to this hotel when the refurb is completely finished and people have more time for the guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased to note that you found the Reception tem to be helpful, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service shortfalls you experienced with the Spa and the Bar.

I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that these training matters has been addressed by the relevant line managers.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel given that you love Edinburgh. Please feel free to contact myself here at the hotel when you are considering dates.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel with a good location. The room I stayed in was clean and well furnished. Staff were very helpful and cheerful and the food was top class. Only down side is the £20 per night car parking fees which I managed to avoid by parking directly outside between 6.30pm and 8.30am. Outside these times you will pay heavily. .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Philylar,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased you found the location and hotel to your expectations. We always appreciate such helpful and honest reviews.

The team and myself look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 February 2014

After having a great experience of 3 weeks in the Macdonald Houston house hotel in Livingston, the Holyrood had a lot to live up to. From the first moment I arrived at 10.30pm on Sunday 16th February it looked like they were determined to rise to the challenge and it was impressive that the staff seemed to know the comments I had left on trip adviser regards their competitor. First impressions were good with modern reception area and a bar area that had a good feel/ buzz about it. "Jodie" greeted us with a warm friendly approach and was to work with us for the 5 days we were there(sometimes from 6am until 8pm on the same day) which made our stay memorable for all the right reasons "Holyroods answer to frank" for those that read my report last week. The rooms were fab and thanks for putting me on the 6th floor which had been recently renovated as my room was modern, bathroom fab and having my curtains closed at night as well as my covers turned down with a mint on my pillow "well I felt like royalty". Our food whether during the day at our conference facilities or at night in the restaurant was fantastic however we had to wait a couple of hours on 2 nights even tho the restaurant wasn't very busy which was a disappointment. Holyrood also have a "Frank" to look after you during your stay, even tho I only met him a couple of times, our delegates spoke highly of him. Overall I had another great experience at a Macdonald hotel, this time tho the bedrooms were very modern, there was a great atmosphere in the bar and I need to praise "Jodie Graham" who takes pride in her job as conference and banqueting manager with her customers at the centre of everything she does."thank you"

Room Tip: Go for a floor of 5 and above as recently renovated
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brian C

Dear Brian C,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer such a helpful review from your recent stay and event with us here at the Holyrood Hotel.

It was lovely to hear upon your departure that your event was a success and that Jodie in particular looked after your groups every need.

I have also passed your feedback over to Glynn our Head Chef and his team regarding your kind comments about our food produce and quality throughout your visit.

It was our pleasure in looking after you and we can’t wait to have you back again for another event!

Best wishes

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel clearly has a great management team and a very happy workforce.

Our stay here was perfect from the second we arrived till the second we left.

Great Location
Recently refurbished rooms lovely
Food superb right down to your food being served on roasting hot plates
The staff make this hotel, everyone smiles and seams to care and enjoy their job.
Nothing to much trouble.
You even get greeted each day by your name, something rare in hotel of this size.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Macdonalds should not think twice in giving extra funding to complete refurbishment programme and try to get this hotel 5 star status as the workforce our already 5 star and a credit to the management team

We will definitely stay again.

Have some great offers as well so book soon.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Ian7450,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable second stay with us, particularly the helpful friendly staff. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

As you are have touched upon the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels across the group so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. So far Rocca Bar & Restaurant is complete along with the first phase of bedrooms. The Leisure facilities are currently underway. I am glad that you have experienced this fantastic transformation given it was your second stay with us.

We appreciate such a helpful review and I would like to thank you for your recommendations. I look forward to seeing you both very soon on a future visit.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for two nights. All the staff were very friendly and made us feel really welcome..Very clean very nice room on the ground floor.The food was excellent..Will certainly stay there again on our next trip to Edinburgh

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kazh15

Dear Kazh15,

Thank you for taking the time to review your short break here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular the food and service from the staff. I will certainly share your feedback with the Head Chef Glynn and his team. They are very passionate of the new food concept that Rocca brings to the Holyrood.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you once again for your feedback.

Best wishes

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for two nights in February on business Front desk staff a tad frosty Restaurant refurb good although waiter had to take breakfast order twice as he said he lost the order Very basic twin room on ground floor bedding could do with an upgrade for a four star hotel I had to use both quilts to keep warm. Had to ring down for a hair dryer as none in room. I couldn't get the room to warm up and was kept awake by sound of air con vent all night I had to ring for ear plugs at 1.00am but unfortunately they had none. Have stayed in a no of Edinburgh hotels on business afraid probably won't stay in this one again

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Gaynor C
MacdonaldHolyrood, Owner at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Gaynor C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel following your stay with us.

I was disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that our fine service and standards we are best known for did not meet your expectations. I sincerely apologise for these short falls with the service and in your room. This is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that these matters have been addressed by our Maintenance Manager.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I do hope you will reconsider and will return to the hotel in the future. If I can be of any assistance with enhancing a future stay, please do feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.