“Great weekend”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #52 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just had a long weekend at this hotel and we where not disappointed with anything!
Great concierge who was very friendly and helpful including the reception staff and waiting staff nothing was too much trouble for them.
We had a room on the 6th floor which was very quiet and was a decent size and had a lovely bathroom with a huge shower.
Breakfast was good too with help yourself to cereals, juice,fruit etc with a cooked breakfast being served to order which was good.
We had dinner one night in the restaurant which was great value for the £15 and the bar prices where very competitive overall a great hotel and we will be back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear debbieg22,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by the team!

We appreciate such a detailed review and look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Holyrood Hotel

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Short and sweet...the maintenance and state of your hotel would be suited to the "Old Reekie" term often used to describe the old tired and used Edinburgh

I hope and pray your maintenance staff are allocated with the materials and tools to rectify what must be an endless supply of jobs and tasks for them, I'd probably come back but I'd only stay on the fifth or sixth floor! Compliments to your maintenance department as I saw them running about looking active all through my stay!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Johnbhoy1976,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback from your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

Your maybe aware the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment works and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. Rocca Bar & Restaurant was completed in December and we are currently having further work done in the Spa and 4 floors of bedrooms.

We do hope that you will choose to return to see for yourself the wonderful transformation when complete later this year.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel in September 2013 and had a wonderful time. The location of this hotel is excellent and is very close to bars, restaurants and supermarkets. We used the gym, swimming pool and spa which was nice.

The breakfast was also good and the service excellent. Parking is available for £12 per night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear yourbrother1975,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay back in September, we very much appreciate your helpful honest feedback.

I was pleased to note that you particularly found our location of interest and that our friendly helpful staff looked after you whilst visiting us.

We look forward to you returning again very soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

6 friends and myself went here on a spa wk end in november last year and due to refurbishments which we did not know about the wk end was a disaster but after writing on here and a complaint to the hotel we were offered a free wk end which we went on this wk end and hats off to them . Fantastic time was had by all , spa treatments were brilliant restaurant is great and all staff were absolutely fantastic . It was such a great wk end I feel like I have to apoligise for my harsh review back in november . We would all definately return and say if any one wants a great relaxing wk end spa go here. I especially would like to thank Pamela McAlister for making this return visit possible. Cant wait to comeback when all the rooms are refurbished. Top marks .....be back soon ...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear anneclamp,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review from your recent return stay with us.

I am so glad that you and your friends gave us another opportunity to experience the excellent service and fine standards we are best known for here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We look forward to you all coming back to visit us when our Spa and bedrooms are complete later this year.

Thank you once again for your comments and recommendations.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have stayed at the hotel before and returned this time with two young children. Restaurant has been updated and the food is very good and the staff were lovely but the room 401 is badly in need of refurbishment. Threadbare carpet and a sofa bed that our daughter could not sleep in which I tried - very uncomfortable. On inspection the underneath was broken - if my son had crawled under, he would have been seriously injured. Main bed was uncomfortable - it would not cost much for a new mattress and pillows. Be careful if you have pre booked a package - I had to challenge the bill three times with reception staff who tried to charge me extras for meals that were inclusive. I will return with my family but not until the refurbishment is complete.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear David F,

Thank you for offering your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel from your recent visit with your family.

It was lovely to note that the staff looked after you and that you enjoyed your meal in Rocca, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the maintenance shortfalls you experienced in your room. We do take our guest safety and wellbeing as a top priority and have regularly inspections to ensure that our rooms and furnishings are in good working order.

I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that this matter has been addressed by both our Maintenance Manager and Head Housekeeper.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope that you will return with your family on a future visit to Edinburgh and if I can personally enhance a future stay for you all please feel free to contact myself here at the hotel.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My daughter and I have recently stayed at the McDonald Holyrood hotel for two nights. The staff on the reception desk could not have been nicer or more helpful. We were given a room on the ground floor which was basic but clean. The beds were uncomfortable but for two nights we put up with them. We felt a few little things let the hotel down - we had to go looking for staff every time we were in the bar area and on the first night we ordered a pot of tea which never arrived even though the bar was not particularly busy - after three quarters of an hour we gave up and went back to the room for one. We don't pamper ourselves much so we thought we would have our nails done in the spa. We appreciated the fact that the refurb was going on in the spa area but felt that the man we spoke to for an appointment was quite abrupt with us. He told us they were very busy so we said we wouldn't bother however he did make us an appointment for the next day. We went for our appointment (it was only a file and polish) but we were rushed into a room - told to pick a colour and then rushed through the whole thing. When the spa girls were finished they stood up, said we could sit for a bit and then they left (didn't feel very pampered at all)!!! Never mind - we love Edinburgh and may go back to this hotel when the refurb is completely finished and people have more time for the guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased to note that you found the Reception tem to be helpful, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service shortfalls you experienced with the Spa and the Bar.

I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards and please be assured that these training matters has been addressed by the relevant line managers.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel given that you love Edinburgh. Please feel free to contact myself here at the hotel when you are considering dates.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel with a good location. The room I stayed in was clean and well furnished. Staff were very helpful and cheerful and the food was top class. Only down side is the £20 per night car parking fees which I managed to avoid by parking directly outside between 6.30pm and 8.30am. Outside these times you will pay heavily. .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Philylar,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased you found the location and hotel to your expectations. We always appreciate such helpful and honest reviews.

The team and myself look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards