Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
US$239
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$167
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$245
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$207
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
  • Pool
US$131
US$125
  • Restaurant
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$181
US$110
  • Bar/Lounge
US$146
US$139
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$154
3,221 results
All reviewsdynamic earthroyal milescottish parliamentparliament buildingarthur's seatlovely hotelspa treatmentssauna and steam roomcooked breakfastgood sizeper nightexecutive roomleisure facilitiesbreakfast servicebooked this hotelweekend breakenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I got this hotel on hotel lottery, it was advertised as a 4 star hotel but this is not what we got. We arrived late and were given the last room in the hotel. It was on the ground level floor with dirty, worn floors, sunken in beds, dated furniture, and a view of the employee smoking area that was right outside our window. We said that we didn't want to stay in that room and it was not what we thought we were getting when we paid for it, the receptionist said there was nothing else and "Good luck getting your money back". We decided not to stay, even if we didn't get our money back, and went up the street to the Carlton where we had a proper stay for the same price. The receptionist was exceptionally rude to us, and treated us like we were beneath him because we booked through a discount site.
We did get our money back from the site we booked the hotel through but they said that the hotel refused to refund them because they claim to have given us what was advertised. It was not a 4 star room, 2 at best. They had no shame whatsoever. You get the impression that they were using the lottery to pawn off sub-par rooms that were nowhere near the "star level" that they claimed for the hotel. I am sure that they have many nice rooms in the hotel but word-to-the-wise if you do pull them on the lottery, last min booking or other similar discount sites you are probably not going to get what you were expecting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexis B
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Alexis B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of the hotel.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit. In particular the room you were allocated. We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an on-going bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion you were allocated one of our older bedrooms. Room allocations are not selected on the price that our guests pay they are simply allocated upon arrival to the hotel.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.holyrood@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed here for one night and had a large comfortable room. The wifi was good the evening I arrived but next day it was very slow, you had to sign onto The Cloud.
Comfortable beds and pillows and plenty of ambient lighting. Bathroom was clean but the water in the shower was either red hot or freezing cold. They are going through a refurbishment so maybe that had something to do with it. I didn't have time to contact reception about the water temperature so maybe they could have sorted it. Unfair to criticise when I didn't tell them about it.
We arrived after a long day of travelling and were checked in by the delightful Gina who smiled naturally and seemed genuinely pleased to help. I asked her to arrange some transport the next day for me and my colleagues and she arranged this seamlessly. What a delightful welcome to the hotel to be greeted by someone so efficient and friendly.
Another comment re staff, our late arrival meant we hadn't eaten so we popped down to the bar and were served by the very nice Jason, nothing was too much trouble here. We wanted to sit in the bar to eat and he asked us to choose a seat and he would bring the menu and take our drinks order. He could teach a few people his excellent customer service skills. Had a tasty burger and fries and there was a good choice and range of prices for wine by the glass.
I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear SueWithaView

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Holyrood following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well especially Gina & Jason.

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel. Your feedback will be passed onto the team here as they are always encouraged by our guest feedback.

We look forward to having you back to stay very soon and thank you once again.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 3 April 2014

En route to the Scottish Parliament, I called in to the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel for a snack lunch in their ROCCA Restaurant area. This was deserted at 1.00pm so the service was slick and professional. The lunch menu is just an amazing £11.95 for 2 courses and is served from 12noon to 2.30pm.
I chose a double fishy option starting with grilled king prawns with chick peas, tomato & red onion and this was terrific. Three plump prawns lightly grilled on bed of dressed salad. Good flavours and colours, this dish could have graced any restaurant table. Then I enjoyed grilled very fresh plaice with equally fresh mussels, celery and cavalo nero. Again beautifully cooked and presented.
This was a meal with first class ingredients, sympathetically cooked and well presented. A wonderful bargain at just £11.95. Is Rocca's a closely guarded Edinburgh secret? Why so few people? Much recommended.

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Brian M,

Thank you for your glowing review of Rocca, we very much appreciate your feedback.

I am delighted that you found the food quality and service delivery exceptional. It’s our dedication to serving only the highest quality food that makes us different. The chef and his team will be encouraged by this.

We are certainly a new hidden gem in the city, so please do tell our your colleagues!

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had a great stay at the Macdonalad Holyrood Hotel. From our arrival, we were overwhelmed by how friendly and helpful all the staff were. Our rooms were lovely and I would definitley say it was great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear lona M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, in particular that the staff were so attentive to you - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had an excellent stay at the Holyrood from the 21st March to 23 March 2014. Rooms are great and the food is good. We ate in the hotel for breakfast and one evening meal. There was a bit of a wait for the food but not too much. The staff are very friendly and the hotel is within good walking distance of the Royal Mile; only 5 mins walk. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Seancrewe,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the location, service from the team and your breakfast experience. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best wishes