“Perfect location & comfort”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #59 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Perfect location & comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We returned a third time because of the hotel's perfect location close to Princes Street, the Royal Mile and Arthur's Seat as well as the friendly & helpful service. The room had recently been renovated & was clean, bright and comfortable. We took advantage of the car valet service to avoid having to search for parking; the car was outside the hotel when we were ready to leave. We ate at a local Indian restaurant suggested by the excellent concierge service.

Room Tip: Ask for room not overlooking student bar
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Kirstine2013,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your review of the hotel.

I am pleased that you were able to sample one of our newly refurbished bedrooms, they certainly give a fresh look and feel to the hotel along with our new Rocca Bar & Restaurant.

We also thank you for your continual support toward us and it’s our pleasure looking after you each time you return.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Pamela McAllister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Biggar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I am MacDonald Hotels Elite Member and a big fan of this hotel group. I also stay regularly at the Holyrood Hotel. My recent stay hit the mark in every area once I finally got booked in!

The reservation process was a struggle. I tried the MacDonald Club website weeks in advance which reported no availability, I then called central reservations who said the hotel was full. I called the switchboard of the hotel and talked to the Holyrood reservations team. This had mixed results, they were kind enough to find me a room (for which I was grateful) but the cost for a single night B&B was £279.00. This was a feature room and overkill for my single night stay given we were out in Edinburgh for a social engagement and not in the hotel room that much.

My frustration began when I checked the internet after securing the £279.00 room. Clearly rooms had been sold to other booking agencies who were offering a single night B&B for £119.00. I felt a little exploited given I was an elite member and the best I was offered direct with the hotel group was a room £160 more expensive than other booking agents. I normally book direct with MacDonald hotels out of loyalty and don't use low cost booking agents.

In the end I cancelled the expensive room which I booked direct with the Holyrood and took up the low cost booking option from the internet. It's a tough environment and I couldn't afford £160 for loyalty on this occasion. The final frustration came when I checked direct with the hotel the night before we were due to arrive and they were offering rooms the following night for B&B at £139.00. Too late for us as I had prepaid with the low cost agent.

From this point - only positives. We arrived at the Holyrood and were met warmly by Jakub who remembered us from our previous stays. He also acknowledged us as Elite members of the hotel group and ensured we were very well looked after. Jakub's charming, helpful and sincere customer service skill immediately put us at ease. He allocated us a nice room and took care of everything. What an asset to the hotel this chap is!

Everything else went like clockwork. The hotel reception & restaurant has been refurbished and looks great. The rooms are also being refurbished but there was no evidence of disruption to guests. Our room was spotlessly clean and well equipped.

The breakfast is excellent at all MacDonald hotels. The Holyrood breakfast is cooked to order and on a close par with my benchmark breakfast for this hotel group which happens to be Forest Hills. The breakfast team were friendly and helpful too.

Overall, this is a great Edinburgh hotel. I refuse to stay anywhere else when I am visiting the capital. Thanks again, Jakub & Holyrood Hotel team.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear PurpleTurtles,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your return visit to the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay, in particular the service Jakub and of course the Macdonald signature breakfast. We appreciate such a helpful review. I am sorry that you had some challenges with your reservations when arranging your trip.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with Jakub and the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We thank you for your loyalty to the company and the Holyrood hotel, I along with the team look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a modern hotel situated on the Holyrood Road about two minutes walk to the Royal Mile. Very comfortable rooms and spotlessly clean and well maintained but a little characterless. Felt this was more aimed as the business market than the leisure sector. Breakfast OK. Did not use restaurant for dinner.
Nothing bad to say about it but a rather soulless place.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be pretty standard.
Dear MediclondonUK,

Thank you for taking your time to offer your review of the Hotel. We very much appreciate all our guests feedback and the time they take out to write their reviews.

I am sorry to note that you found the hotel characterless whilst you were staying with us. We consistently receive glowing feedback relating to our staff as you can see from previous reviews from both leisure and corporate guests, however this is a matter of your opinion to which I thank you for and will certainly review with the team here.

We do hope that you return to us when returning to Edinburgh as I am confident you will be pleasantly surprised.

Kind regards
darlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Visited this hotel for a reunion this is a lovey hotel and all the staff were so helpful friendly and polite, we stayed 2 nights and had dinner both nights the food was excellent and well presented
a special mention to Adrian Boyle and the team who served us so well. Breakfast was very good to with plenty of choice and again served with a smile. Our room on the 3rd floor was very comfortable and quiet. Highly recommend this hotel and thank you to all the staff you make it special.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Brendan I,

Many thanks for sharing your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I was so pleased to read your review.

It’s very rewarding for us to know that our guests enjoy their stay and leave with great memories, along with wanting to return when visiting Edinburgh. The staff here do go out their way to make it a home from home for all our guests both in service and customer care. I will certainly share your comments with Rocca and the Kitchen teams.

We hope you come back and visit us soon!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Generous reviews led to my stay however pubic hairs caused alarm in both the first AND the second rooms!! The third room was a little better but very dated, tired and by now you start to really note failures.

Not 4 star standards! Try any of the many other hotels in area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Martin C
Dear Martin C,

Thank you for taking time to write your review of your recent visit to the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was disappointed to note the issues you raised in relation to the Housekeeping standard, as you can see from the previous reviews our standards are very high and we generally have excellent feedback on this. The Head Housekeeper here was advised at the time of your findings.

I am sorry I didn’t get the opportunity to meet with you whilst staying with us. I would welcome any further feedback you may wish to share with me.

Once again I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and if I can assist further then please feel free to make contact with me here at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I usually try to get away as a birthday treat, and in March for my birthday we decided to go back to Edinburgh having enjoyed a weekend break there a few years before. We opted for the MacDonald Holyrood for its location as we wanted to be close to the city centre but not right in the heart of it.

On arrival, the staff were welcoming and helpful and we were delighted to be advised that our room had been upgraded. The room was very clean and tidy, had a modern feel and was well equipped. We particularly liked the added security of having restricted access to the floor, which meant that only guests with rooms on our floor could actually take the lift to our floor.

We started our trip with a Champagne Afternoon Tea in the Lounge Bar area. The bar prices were very reasonable, and the service was excellent with very friendly and attentive staff.

While I stayed on in the bar to enjoy another drink, my wife had booked in for a Hot Stone Massage, followed by a manicure and facial. Whilst I can't comment on these myself, she found them very enjoyable and relaxing, and says she'd certainly recommend these services to other guests. Again, the spa prices were realistic, and the facilities were first class.

In the evening we decided to go into the City Centre for a meal and a few drinks. The weather was not at its best and I wasn't looking forward to flagging down a cab while getting soaked, but never fear, Frank at the Concierge Desk stepped up and got us a taxi, and made sure we were dry.

The bed was comfortable and we both enjoyed a relaxing nights sleep. Prior to heading out for the evening, the hotel offered us a "turn-down" service which we declined but it was a nice touch.

Breakfast was excellent, a full range of hot and cold options were available, in large or small quantities as required.

On the second night we opted to take Dinner in the hotel restaurant, and were certainly not disappointed. The selection of courses and options available was sufficient to meet a variety of tastes. While I was able to opt for an Italian style of meal, my wife was able to select something more traditionally British which suited us both very well. The food and service was excellent, the staff were helpful and the meal didn't break our budget.

Again, we slept well, had another excellent breakfast, and were sorry to leave.

We'll certainly look at MacDonald Group Hotels for our next trip, and would be happy to go back to the Holyrood if we were to visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear David A,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the hotel.

I am so pleased that you returned to us after your first visit a few years back, you will have noticed a considerable different with the investment the company has put into the Holyrood.

It’s great that to hear that you had an enjoyable birthday weekend and that it was memorable for all the right reasons. Your detailed review was very encouraging to read, I will certainly share this with the team as they are always encouraged when I share the reviews with them.

We do hope to see you return back for very soon, so please don’t leave it a few years this time!

Warmest regards
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Would highly recommend this hotel in Edinburgh. The hotel itself was lovely; nice and clean, well equipped. The thing that made all the difference was the staff. They were very attentive and made us feel that no problem was too small. The pool and health club were very impressive and the restaurant food, both breakfast and dinner, was super. I cannot say how good our stay was for a very reasonable price.

Stayed April 2014
Dear Nicholas W,

Many thanks for offering your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

It was very encouraging to read that your overall stay with us was an enjoyable. We appreciate all our guest feedback in order to tweak our service and standards where necessary, so thank you for sharing this with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future, if we can be of any assistance please feel free to contact us directly at the hotel.

Kindest regards