“Wonderful hotel”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for two nights the middle of may. We had never been to Edinburgh and wanted a nice, clean, friendly hotel close to the royal mile.

The macdonald at holyrood was prime location and was pararell to the royal mile. The hotel was clean, welcoming, friendly and the rooms were extremely spacious. It had recently had a makeover and the impact means it feels fresh and as if it's brand new.

We had a few problems with the tv in the room with the fact the remote didn't work. The staff accommodated us quickly and efficiently.

There was a young gentleman in the bar who was friendly and not only did he help with travel and attraction tips. The young man realised that my husband and myself were celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary and brought over some complimentary glasses of champagne which was a lovely gesture.

Few hints and tips:
We took bus 30 from the airport, paid £1.50 thinking it was the cheaper option tho it took us nearly an hour to get to the hotel. I would recommend paying out for a taxi if you are expecting a quick ride

We visited edinburgh zoo and it was one of the best things we did there. The pandas and the kolas well worth the visit.

Arthurs seat is worth the trek but is not easy going so go prepared with good shoes and water.

We ate at the hard rock cafe and it was a Monday night and we had to wait to be seated tho was fairly quick. Good food and service...worth a trip

We also ate at a pub on the royal mile called the mitre bar.
The fish and chips is a particular speciality and would definitely go again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Kim W,

Many thanks for offering your review of your stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We found your review very helpful. I was pleased to note that the hotel services and friendliness of our staff exceeded your expectations. I will be sure to share you review with them at our weekly meeting.

Looking forward to returning to us very soon.

Pamela McAllister

Write a ReviewReviews (3,104)

Reviewed 22 May 2014

had a 1 night midweek stay recently 2 years after previous stay and was overall impressed. lovely new reception and open plan bar/restaurant on the ground floor. service at check in was excellent and throughout the stay. room on 2nd floor was immaculate although not sure if it was one of the refurbished ones. no issues whatsoever and will no doubt stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear StephenP,

Thank you for your glowing review of the hotel.

We are so pleased that you retuned to us after staying with us 2 years ago. I am glad you like the new look Holyrood after our £1.5 million investment to enhance our guest experience.

Looking forward to welcoming you back, please just don’t leave it 2 more years to return to us!

Warmest regards

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We are talking about average hotel and the price in May was reasonable. I stayed for a couple of nights and my experience was okay.
The WiFi is available in the room but the signal sometimes is poor. The room is clean and tidy. If you need a extra pillow, blancket or similar will be provided. The overall appearance of the room is that it needs a modern decor and better furnitures because for a four stars hotel it is not good enough.
However, you have everything you need for a quick stay. There is a TV but Sky and similar are not available and I had to call to recepction because the signal it was not working properly. Air Con has not enough power, but probably you won't need it.
There is room service but it does not work efficiently, you will need to call to reception twice minimun.
About Reception team are friendly and helpful. Some of them are able to use another important language if you do not manage English properly.
About Concierge team are really professional, specially the Head Concierge. They have a robust knowledge of the local area and if you need something, probably they will get you.
There is car parking and the price is reasonable, better than NCP because is a valet service. I think is good to book your space before arrival calling reception/concierge. They are punctual if you need the car or some stuff from it, just talk with the concierge and you will have it in two minutes.
About restaurant, it looks new and the staff is friendly. However the quality of the food is average and drinks are expensive.
There is a pool in -1 level and it is really nice.
Finally , valet service and the location are the best features of Macdonald Holyrood because you are really close to the city centre and your car will be safe.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear JJP,

Thank you for taking your time to offer your feedback from your recent stay with us here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am glad you found the Concierge team and the location to your expectations, however I am sorry that you did not find the facilities to your liking. I would be happy to discuss your feedback further, please do feel to contact me directly here at the hotel at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Really nice spa lovely girl gave me a pedicure and was perfect! Nice cocktails and private use of the pool was great. 10/10! Afternoon tea with a voucher we had aswell was a bit slow but still really enjoyable, friendly staff so perfect

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Bronzegoddess93

Dear Bronzegoddess93,

Many thanks for your glowing review of your recent visit to our spa.

We are very pleased to note that you enjoyed your overall time with us and that you gave us 10/10. The team will be very encouraged by your feedback.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed 17 May 2014

2 days at the hotel did the job. Average hotel room price but pricey drinks. Hotel location was the hotel's best feature as you could walk to most central attractions. We did have breakfast as it was included. The first breakfast was buffet style and was OK but the second we had to order it and it wasn't as good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Walker14

Dear Walker14,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to submit your review of the hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you found our hotel average. Recently we have invested £1.5 million in upgrading the bedrooms, restaurant, bar and spa facilities. The food and bar pricing is very completive with our neighbouring hotels to which I feel is very good value for money, however this is a matter of your opinion to which we gratefully respect and will take on board when re pricing.

Our award winning signature breakfast is what Macdonald Hotels are best known for, we certainly do offer the best quality produce and take great pride in large offerings. I am sorry that you did not enjoy this and will certainly feed your comments back to our Head Chef as we regularly carry out quality checks on this.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback, if I can be of any further assistance then please do feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

General impression is that the hotel is a good one but they really must sort out the rattling and gurgling pipes in the ground floor rooms. I had a terrible night's sleep as did my colleague who also had a ground floor room. I did mention the no sleep experience experience at check out when asked if I enjoyed my stay - response to which to which was that if I planned to return perhaps I should ask for a room that was not on the ground floor - incredible!! That did stir me to ask if the young chap if he would consider some form of compensation to off set the no sleep experience & he did offer a free breakfast (which riled me more in my tired state as I believed that breakfast was included in the rate - my mistake).
Upshot is, if you stay here and want a peaceful night, ask not to be on the ground floor!

Room Tip: At the Macdonald Holyrood ask for a room that is not on the ground floor (May 2014)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris F

Dear Chris F,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was very disappointed to note that you were unable to sleep due to rattling and gurgling pipes on the ground floor. I will ensure the maintenance team look into this as this is something we have not encountered, we are however a city centre hotel and are exposed to the city’s noise pollution around the building. I am sorry at the response given by the front desk team as this is not our normal practice and will certainly look into this with them.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to us in the near future. If I can be of any assistance with enhancing a future booking then please do feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Thank you once again for your review.

Regards

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were celebrating a friend's 5oth Birthday and there were 8 of us. The Hotel is in the process of major refurbishment and will be lovely when finished. Saying that, our room was fine for what we needed. It was large, spacious, and very clean. The bathroom was of good size with power shower and large bath. Breakfast was ok but the food was "sloshed" on to the plate, with no thought of presentation.
We did manage a drink in the bar at night, but was very expensive. 3 Gin & Tonics £23. We fell for it the 2nd night as well.
Location, good, easy to get to the Attractions.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Val46_13,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I hope your friend had a memorable 50th Birthday in the city!

As you have touched upon the Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment work and is benefitting from our on-going commitment to invest in our Hotels so that we may provide the best experience and facilities to our guests. These works are almost in the completion stages now.

I was surprised to note that our award winning signature breakfast did not live up to our usual high standards. The Kitchen team here pride themselves in the food and fine presentation that we offer. I will certainly monitor this offering to ensure these standards are met.

We look forward to welcoming you back.