“Extremely disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 June 2014

1 - Bedroom was dirty and smelly, didn't know a 4* could have 2* bedrooms in it
2 - Mattresses were just used and uncomfortable
3 - No housekeeping one day and since we came back after 5pm we had to wait for the next day
4 - No possibility to adjust temperature in the room (freezing cold when we got in) had to ask for heater to get it to an acceptable temperature

Would I recommend it, certainly not!!

Room Tip: Avoid at any cost the first floor !!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank F6c0
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear F6c0,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and that you were extremely disappointed. I do however feel that your comments are not at all reflective of our wonderful newly refurbished hotel, however this is a matter of your opinion to which I fully respect.

Its most unfortunate that you would not return to us to experience a stay that is truly reflective of the fine 4 star hotel that we are best known for.

Kind regards
Pamela McAllister

Write a ReviewReviews (3,172)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My partners mum had booked for me, my partner, herself, husband and 10 year old son to stay in this hotel for one night over the May bank holiday weekend. The hotel was very nice inside it was very traditional with some modern updates. The room me and my partner had was very nice we were on the top floor. the room was very spacious with a nice large bathroom. the only criticism about the room would be that it was facing a large office block and therefore we had to keep the blinds down at all times as there were people working in there. The hotel wasn't in the best location as we had to get a taxi into the center costing around £7.

Following a great night sleep, me and the rest of the family went down for breakfast at quarter to 10. We were greeted by a lady at the breakfast bar and when we said we needed a table for 5 people she instantly looked unhappy and rolled her eyes and said she would see if there is a table (which was obvious there were lots as the dinning area looked half empty). She sat us down on the opposite side of the dinning hall to where the food was which seemed a bit unnecessary. We all sat down and were offered tea/coffee, however no milk was brought to the table or shown where to get it. We were then told that there was only scrambled egg left and was asked if this was ok, and we had no option but to accept?

Following this we went down to the other side of the dinning area to get cereals, croissants etc and then went back up to the table. there was no toast offered on available on the buffet (just a large loaf of bread), after going back to the table we were then informed by a waitress that there were now no eggs left at all, so we went down to the hot food buffet to see what else we could have. there was very little left just a couple of pieces of leftover fatty bacon, no sausages, 2 mushrooms and tomatoes and a big bowl of beans. We asked one of the breakfast waitresses if we could get some more hot food and she responded "how much do you need?" and then when she conferred with a colleague we were told that there was no food left at all (which I found very hard to believe in such a large hotel) and said we had to just have what was left between the 5 of us which would have meant just a plate of beans each, not what i call a full cooked breakfast.

It was obvious that the front of door waitress could not be bothered to help us or ask for the chefs to cook more food for us she didn't even appear to have go into the back and asked and i was appalled that she thought it was acceptable to leave us, as guests, with no cooked breakfast that we had already paid good money for. Overall, the breakfast dinning was high disorganized with poorly trained staff, some of which with a very bad attitude. I could go on with other things I observed but whilst being in the dinning hall that morning however I think that this is enough to show how disappointing this was after a great night stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank jkjn1989

Dear jkjn1989,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this particular visit, especially in relation to our breakfast service.

As you can see from other reviews on trip adviser, the vast majority of our guests feel the staff here are very warm and welcoming. We strive as a team to deliver exceptional service through a passionate approach to hospitality, I do firmly believe the team along with myself go out of their way to ensure all our guests have a fantastic dining experience along with enjoying our award winning breakfast. I am sorry that this was not at all reflected upon your recent visit. I will certainly review your feedback with the Restaurant manager and the Head Chef to ensure we are addressing these points.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.holyhrood@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Out room was overpriced for one night stay. Running in Edinburgh half marathon to raise funds for The British Heart Foundation, I wished more of the cost could have been donated to my chosen charity instead of an expensive hotel stay !

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Motorbike1

Dear Motorbike1,

Many thanks for your feedback.

Congratulations on running the Edinburgh Marathon, it’s such a fantastic event. I too took part for McMillian Cancer.

I am sorry that you found the hotel to be overly priced, when prime events are on in the city the demand for rooms is at its highest. Our rates are always priced very favourable with the competitors in the neighbouring area and are reviewed on a daily basis.

If we can enhance a future stay with us or if returning for the marathon next year, please do feel free to contact us directly in order to receive the best available rate.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

After an excellent experience at this hotel about 5 years ago we thought this would be a failsafe option, however, we ended up very disappointed.
We experienced the following issues:
1) The receptionist had no idea that we had pre-paid on-line and that part of the payment was with a gift voucher (our pre-payment included an Executive King room and 2 spa treatments), despite this we were still asked to pay for the spa treatments separately and we had to explain that we had already paid - The central reservations staff obviously take bookings and don't communicate the details to the receptionists!
2) Our booking reference document stated that the room would be available from 14.00 and when we arrived at 15.20 we were asked to wait in the bar until the room was ready, after a 40 minute wait, I approached the reception and they told me the room was ready, however, I was annoyed that I had to approach them and felt that we could have been sitting for much longer if I hadn't.
3) We were given room 207, which was very small, tired and had a horrible view onto a roof covered with litter and bird droppings. We contacted reception to advise that this wasn't the Executive King room we had booked and they gave us a slightly better room on the 5th floor -this room had nice decor and a slightly better view but the king size bed was actually 2 singles pushed together (which turned out to be very uncomfortable), there was no mini-bar, to say the rooms have climate control at the touch of a button is a joke, its basically a roof mounted heater with switch in the wall.
4) When we went to check out the receptionists were again looking for us to pay the bill for the SPA treatments which we had already paid for!
5) The last time we stayed here the hotel advertised that if you park in the St'Johns NCP cark park, they would validate your car park token and this would apply a discount on departure (which they did!), when I asked the receptionist to validate the parking token she looked at me like I had horns in my head and called the concierge, who, arrived and quite condescendingly advised that the NCP car park is already greatly discounted and that there was never such a deal with NCP, making us out to be liars - my issue with this is not about the discount but more the way the staff were communicating to me and my wife.

In conclusion, I will not return to the Macdonald Holyrood hotel but I think it is possible to have a good experience here if you manage to avoid the blonde headed female receptionists and make sure the person you book with makes a commitment to pass on your booking details to the hotel reception. Also demand a quality of room that you are expecting.
We stayed at the Premier-inn in Macclesfield last week and I would rate that in much higher regard than this Macdonald hotel.

Room Tip: Demand a quality of room that you are expecting otherwise be prepared to walk out!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AlanR847

Dear AllanR847,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to offer your detailed feedback, we very much appreciate it in order to investigate the points you have raised.

I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us after staying 5 years prior, the hotel has certainly come a long way since then with a full refurbishment and rebrand.

We will address your feedback and respond privately to you.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here on business to attend a conference at the very nearby Dynamic Earth. The room was a good size, clean, well equipped with a huge comfortable bed and a shower that you could actually use!

Had some room service, which was very good, as was breakfast in the morning.

It was only the bill that seemed a bit steep, but then this is Edinburgh!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear L0tusBoy,

Thank you for submitting your review from your recent business trip to the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and I am glad that your stay was to your expectations and comfort.

I do hope that you chose to return to us when attending future business meetings in the city.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had a BLAST at this Hotel!
Our Last Day of our Tour, CIE TOURS!
All the staff where the BEST!!!!
Would love to go back and Stay, and explore More Of Scotland!!!!

Thank you for the Best Two Nights in Scotland!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NancieMD

Dear NancieMD,

Glad you returned home safe and well from your tour. It was lovely to hear from you and that you had a blast with us.

The team are very passionate about the service we offer especially more so now that we have our fantastic new Rocca Restaurant along with our newly refurbished bedrooms.

I am touched that you feel we are your home away from home. We would love for you to come back and stay soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

It cost us £407 for two nights B&B. it was our 10th anniversary and I had requested the 'romance package' for our arrival. I had to chase this up and we waited 40 mins after arriving for x2 glasses of prosecco and 4 chocolates for £15 !! I would of expected a bottle for that. We asked the lady for some local information ( she was foreign ) and she gave us a map. The bed was horrendous. It was two single divans joined together and the right side was higher than the left which was very awkward for a proper nights sleep. The taps in the bathroom fully turned when you twisted the top, they were not fixed to the basin & there was no fresh drinking water available in the room after your one 'complimentary' bottle. We had to go to a local tesco and purchase some bottles of water for during the night. I didn't use the spa facilities but we did have a look at the pool which was small. Breakfast service was very odd, there was a hot plate of bacon sausage & beans the first morning, you had to request eggs toast tea & coffee which took forever to arrive. The second morning there was no hotplate you had to order your breakfast along with toast tea & coffee again. Very odd. Our room overlooked the bins and the next buildings bins and the noise during the night /early morning was awful. Bottles being emptied from outside , a very loud Chinese family next door who slammed their doors constantly. I couldn't wait to leave. Room 515.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Claire_Bee8

Dear Claire_Bee8,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to offer your feedback from your visit to us here at the Macdonald Holyrood hotel.

It was most disappointing to read that you felt it was not worth the money and that you did not find your stay to be in order or to your satisfaction.

I will certainly look into your points raised with the team and contact you directly.

Kind regards