“Sound Macdonald experience”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Good, solid Macdonald hotel, but nothing exceptional; room nice and spacious, but needed some serious carpet cleaning; bed comfortable and big; bathroom very good; breakfast fine - excellent buffet but cooked menu a bit limited (No haggis! In Edinburgh!!). Whole hotel needs a refurb I think

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Simon H,

Many thanks for offering your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

It was lovely to read that you found everything to your liking, however found us to be nothing exceptional. Of course this is a matter of your opinion, to which we greatly value as we are always looking at ways to advance on our service and products that we offer to make us stand out from our competitors.

The hotel has currently had a large amount of capital invested in the hotel in order to enhance our guests experience. There is only 2 floors of bedrooms that will be refurbished in spring next year along with the poolside, the rest of the hotel is now complete.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we do hope that you return next year to see the finished product.

Pamela McAllister

Write a ReviewReviews (3,140)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

After a stay in this hotel myself and my boyfriend were thoroughly disappointed. We paid out a premium rate for a room that the hotel describes to have 'large comfortable beds' However when we went to lay on the bed we noticed a large sheet had in fact been pulled over two single beds to make a double. Myself and my partner found ourselves lying in a crease in the middle of the beds, which I'm sure you can imagine did not amount to a good nights sleep!

Where they had tried to push the beds together without our noticing there was a zip which also stuck out of the exterior on the bed meaning it stuck out and dug into me in the night!

In the morning I attempted to explain this to the hotel reception manager who told me that this was common practise in the hotel to push the beds together and was not an error on their part. So i suggest if you wish to stay a night in Edinburgh in a double bed then this is not the hotel for you.

Its a shame as the hotel staff were really nice and people were friendly and welcoming. However the only thing they could offer me was a complimentary drink at the bar. I did not pay out to have a free drink at a bar. I paid for a room with a double bed, not too much to ask for I don't think.

Perhaps if they had been more apologetic then I would have understood but the fact that it was a standard policy to squidge beds together shocks me in this day and age in a hotel that calls itself 'luxury'. My two friends were also staying in 'double bed' rooms and had the same experience and treatment.. So it wasn't a one off room its obviously policy across the hotel to do this.

I emailed the hotel as soon as I got back, I have been ignored.

Id suggest you look elsewhere before you book here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PennyGAB

Dear PennyGAB,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback from your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am sorry to note the disappointment that you and your friends experienced relating to our beds. It is common practice across the company as well as many chains of hotels to have bed configurations of what we class as a zip and link bed. These beds can be made into one king bed or separated into twin beds. We certainly fulfilled your request with a king bed, however I am sorry that you felt the Reception Manager was not sympathetic toward you and offered a solution. I will certainly address this matter with her and the team to ensure our guests are advised when booking of our bed set up.

We do not appear to have your email that you claim to have sent with no response. If you would kindly send this over to me directly I will happily address your concerns separately to this. opsmgr.holyrood@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a long weekend using Tesco Clubcard vouchers, having to pay a bit extra for an executive room. This was worth it as the room was lovely and had a great view of Arthur's seat. The bed was really comfy and the bathroom very modern. The hotel is situated just away from the centre but it only took a 5-10 minute walk to be at the hub of things. Several of the sightseeing buses stopped just a few yards down the road across at Dynamic Earth which was very handy. We ate in the hotel's Rocca restaurant one night and the food was excellent and priced at about what you would expect for a hotel restaurant. All the hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. We were able to leave our suitcases there on our last day after checking out which was really handy. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Trundlie54,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We are all so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team all looked after so well. I will be pleased to share your feedback with them as they are always encouraged by it.

I am glad you had the opportunity to dine in Rocca and that you had a comfortable stay in one of our newly refurbished bedrooms. The hotel is certainly reaping the benefits of the £1.5 million investment giving us a whole new look and feel to which many of our guests are enjoying.

We look forward to you returning and thank you for your recommendations.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Beautiful hotel & spa facilities, very clean and all staff from main reception, waiting staff & spa staff were all lovely.

Very relaxing time had, only downside of the spa is there is no jacuzzi, however the steam room & sauna were excellent. Also a good sized pool.

High tea was nice, I was dairy free and felt this could have been better was very plain. However overall was a fantastic day and I would totally recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan S

Dear Susan S,

Many thanks for sharing your Spa review with us.

We are very pleased that you did have an enjoyable time and that you found the facilities to your comfort and expectations. We are very pleased with the investment that has recently been put into them and changing over to Elemis has gone down very well.

I did investigate with our Chef about the dairy free requests, to which we are very sorry that there was a breakdown in communication with this. We have altered the system that we have in place to ensure this is more effective with future bookings.

Once again we thank you for your review and look forward to you coming back to visit us very soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband were given a voucher for our first wedding anniversary for a couples spa day. Unfortunately it was a massive let down.
Firstly the pool is small and a bit tired, not a very relaxing area, particularly when on we day we had booked there were children's swimming lessons on for most of the morning (the staff should have mentioned this at the point of booking in my opinion as I would have booked a different day). Sauna was nice but steam room had tiles missing on the seating area and a few loose also so had to be careful where to sit. We had a massage booked for midday, the relax room was lovely and my massage was good however my husbands therapist had a bad cold, i underastand these things can be unpredictable and while I am not doubting her abilities as a masseuse he didnt relax as she was sniffing and blowing her nose all through his treatment, someone else should have taken her place. After our massage we returned to the relax room (literally 2mins after my massage) and a waiter came and said it was time for lunch, and he would take us to the restaurant, I asked if I could have 5mins to get dressed, I had on a bikini and a robe and wet hair and didnt want to sit in the restaurant like this, he didnt say no but definitely wasnt happy with the prospect of waiting and looked at his watch, I explained in didn't want to sit in a restaurant with no clothes on and dripping hair and he said it wouldn't be a problem no one would see us.We followed him upstairs, through the main reception area and into the restaurant, and he then sat us in the window!!! I felt very uncomfortable and self conscious (there really should be facilities for people to eat near to the spa area, especially if no one is coordinating timings to allow time to get dressed.
Lunch was a Japanese box thing, cold chicken, plain unseasoned, unflavoured cous cous, some veg and eton mess which was literally just cream and strawberry coulis, it was below average at best. We returned to pool, where more swimming lessons were taking place at about 1.30 so we went to the relax room, by this point in the day there was now over a dozen cups and glasses laying around which no one was clearing up so I had to clear the table myself to sit for a cup of tea. We left shortly afterwards. Also id like to add my husband sent an email to macdonald hotels customer relations department which did not even include half of the issues mentioned in this review, after one week with no response he resent it, now 4 weeks later macdonald hotels have failed respond. Huge disappointment, do not waste your money!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nikio72

Dear Nikio72,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback regarding your spa experience back in April.

I was sorry to receive this feedback as its not at all reflective of our usually high standards and positive feedback that we have been receiving.

I would be grateful if your husband could send the email directly to myself in order to correspond with him and resolve this matter. I have checked with customer service at our head office team don’t appear to have received it. I can be contacted on opsmgr.holyrood@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Once again I am sorry that you feel very disappointed by your experience, but I am confident that we can resolve this and restore your faith in our brand once again.

Looking forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here over the mayday weekend, and could find no fault with the hotel, reception staff brilliant. conceige staff could not do enough for you, extremely friendly and polite. This is the first ever review I've done for any hotel I've stated in. Thats how pleased I was with the service. Thanks for a wonderful couple of days.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alex3565
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear alex3565,

Thank you so much for offering your very first review and it was of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We are all so pleased that you had such a great stay with us. It’s so rewarding when we hear our guests have had a great experience. As I have said in previous comments, the team here really do try to offer the best service possible by engaging with our guests and make it a home away from home.

It was a pleasure having you to stay, I hope I have the opportunity in meeting you in person on a future visit.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel on business and I was impressed with the hotel and the condition of the room. Although in some reviews it says it is a little out of the way as a frequent visitor to Edinburgh and knowing little shortcuts which I am sure everyone could find I could be at Princes Street in 5 minutes. It was quiet and relaxed although the price of drinks was a little heavy. I would visit again and would recommend to family and friends. The Pool was also clean and I had an enjoyable swim and workout.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave S

Dear Dave S,

Thank you for submitting your review on the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found it to you comfort.

Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future on business and pleasure.

Warmest regards