“Average hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brighton
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise birthday break for me. I loved Edinburgh, however, I found this hotel to be slightly disappointing and very average for the rating (although I wouldn't tell him this!)
I have worked in a similar hotel before and I find them to be like an upmarket travelodge, fine for a business trip but not really great for a romantic getaway! There is nothing I particulary disliked about this hotel but at the same time I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure there are far nicer places to stay for the same amount (or less) of money.
I had a couple of issues with the hotel:
1. Breakfast- we never ate here as £17.50 is a ridiculous price for breakfast. They try to justify it by claiming they use locally sourced products but so do other places I've stayed in and they don't charge nearly half as much! When there are so many great places nearby that do great breakfasts at less than a third of the price I'd recommend you go elsewhere.
2. Smoking- we were never given the opportunity to choose a smoking/non smoking room. We never asked as we just assumed they'd be non smoking as we weren't asked what we would prefer. I'm asthmatic and we were put in a smoking room. The room itself didn't smell of smoke but the vent in the bathroom allowed all the smoke from the neighbouring rooms straight into our bathroom. It was so strong I thought my other half had been smoking in the bathroom! We didn't complain because we were only really using the hotel as a place to sleep but it wasn't very pleasant and made my breathing bad!
Overall I would say this hotel is an okay, average place to stay, not really worth the money but fine for a business trip. Don't have high expectations though as I think you can get far better value for money.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeckaBrighton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
North West, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2008

We booked this for my father-in-laws birthday and also my husbands for 2 nights Bed breakfast and evening meal. First of all if was £20 per day parking at the hotel, no mention of the price on their web site. Breakfast was only self service in you could get cereal and fruit juice, cheese, ham, and bread. The full scottish breakfast you could order from the waiter which consisted of one sausage, a couple of mushrooms, an egg, a couple of small pieces of bacon, a grilled tomato, a spoonful of beans, a small piece of black pudding and a half slice of fried bread. I have always stayed at hotels where you could just help yourself from the buffet which I think is much better. The evening meal you could pick from the menu up to the value of £25 but when a steak (not big was something like £19) it didnt leave you much to spend on a starter, veg (which wasnt included in the price of the steak) and a dessert. The portions were literally lost on the place they were that small. The first evening I ordered roast vegetable lasagne. This came as a square piece of pasts about 4 5 inches square with a few roasted veg inside and a piece of pasta on the top, completely tasteless and cold. In fact all our meals were cold that evening and the restaurant was virtually empty, think about 6 other people besides us. The people at the next table actually ordered some chips and potatoes after their meal as they had assumed their meal would have come with veg etc. To actually get a 3 course meal for £25 you are certainlt pushing it. I never had a starter or a dessert so it helped financially with the others in our party wanting the 3 courses. We certainly regretted after the first night having booked for the evening meal the following night. We were the only people in the restaurant it was like a morgue. No atmosphere whatsoever however after complaining the evening before the meals were a bit warmer but not any bigger! The bar prices were extortionate no wonder no-one was ever sitting in the bar. I cannot understand why these hotels charge so much for drinks when they have staff standing around doing nothing. Surely it would be better to charge less and have people sitting in the bar drinking and chatting than no-one at all.

The room we had was fine, but my father-in-laws room had no fridge )apparently they have had trouble with them and therefore some rooms didnt have any) and their heating didnt work (which in December) which was just not acceptable. We reported this and it was apparently 'looked at' but it still didnt work!

The hotel itself although fine was no better than a Travelodge or a Ramada, and certainly did not justify the price.

It was near the Scottish Parliament building and Holyrood Palace but then so are other hotels.

I am not saying dont stay here but I am saying dont book the evening meal. It is certainly not worth the money, was not even very appetising and you hardly got anything and it was virtually cold.

My advice would be to go up the Royal Mile, there are many pubs/restaurants to choose from at half the price and at least there are people in then and the atmosphere is muc better.

There are a couple of Pizza Express, a Bella Italia, Chinese and Indian restaurants, a Tex Mex restaurant which I would much have preferred I think it was called Villa Pancho and many more to choose from. I am sure also that the drinks were half the price.

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — cold food that was expensive
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Ben&Ted
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

After much searching on tripadvisor in conjunction with the hotels we could spend our Tesco vouchers on, I was delighted with the bargain we ended up with! I used £75 of vouchers for a £300 2 night dinner bed and breakfast at this hotel!

The food in the restaurant was excellent both nights - particularly the mussels and steaks. Wine a bit pricey, but what you'd expect in a hotel and an excellent selection.

Further to a review on here, we found breakfast to be great too, very efficient service and delicious - don't think I'd pay the £17.50 for it, but as it was included in our rate it didn't matter.

My only complaint was the bar bill - fortunately we only had one drink each before our meal, but to pay £6 for a gin and tonic was pain enough but £8.10 for a vodka and orange juice is ridiculous!!

The location was great, we walked up the Royal Mile to the Castle and ambled back via Princes St at the end of the day. The following day we went down to the Scottish Parliament and Palace of Holyrood. Dynamic Earth is right opposite the hotel too.

We also had lunch at Wedgwood the restaurant 5 mins walk away and would thoroughly recommend it. We'd have gone there for dinner had it not been in our rate to eat at the hotel.

All in all, an excellent birthday weekend!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sezm79
Backworth, Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

Booked the hotel for a relaxing break with a friend due to its beauty spa and close location to station. As with previous review, it is quite a way from the station as it is down a steep hill off the Royal Mile. Though we walked there, got a taxi to station on departure.

Check in was easy and a very classy looking hotel. Room was nice. On Saturday spent the day in the hotel spa. Though not able to book their all inclusive spa day, we were really looked after. Had to have lunch in the bar, but the service was excellant. So relaxed after our day couldn't be bothered to go out for the evening!

The whole stay would have been first class, but unfortunately breakfast on the Sunday spoilt it, we had to wait for a table, despite being asked to come down before 9:30 to avoid the rush, and we had to keep asking for service and then reminding them when it still hadn't come.

Location was not a problem as we stayed round hotel, but if going for a shopping trip I would pick a hotel up the hill. Meals are a bit pricey in the hotel, but there are plenty of places minutes away to eat, so could eat out. But as a bit of treat and a relaxing spa break I would put it to the top of your list .

• Liked — The leisure facilities
  • Disliked — Breakfast service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Newcastle, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

After looking at a map of Edinburgh we decided that Waverly Station is not that far from the hotel and we should easily be able to walk it with our luggage. The only problem was the map didn’t specify the topography; it’s quite a steep walk up to the Royal Mile from the station. I would definitely recommend getting a taxi from the station to the hotel. It only costs about £6.

The ‘check in’ staff were very efficient and friendly. The room was traditionally furnished and to a good standard. Additions of a room safe and fridge were a nice bonus. The TV although we never watched it was only a free standing CRT which took up space and made the room look a little dated. The only other downside to the room was the key activated electrics which is more of an annoyance than anything else. We used the pool while we were staying at the hotel and it was excellent.

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the Royal Mile and about 15 minutes from Princess Street. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Proximity to the Royal Mile and Princess Street. Personal safe and fridge in the room. Spa facilities.
  • Disliked — Key card operated room electrics, old 4:3 CRT Television in the room.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2Ton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

Perfect location for a business visit to the Scottish Parliament and a block away from the Royal Mile. Its a 10 minute walk to the Castle assuming you can resist the pubs that line the route.

Quick and efficient check-in and a good-sized traditionally furbished room. My TV remote was non-functioning which wasn't as bad as someone in our party who's TV didn't work at all.

Late night service in the ground floor bar was entertaining and efficient. Prices, expectedly, were double those of nearby pubs like the World's End.

The bed was comfortable so I got a good night's sleep.

So far so good.

In the morning we took breakfast at an extra £17.50 and things went wrong.

For the price I'd expect a wide choice and quick accurate service - especially since this is a business hotela nd people are in a hurry. What we got was unacceptable.

Breakfast splits into a cold buffet table and menu ordered hot meals. It took 10 minutes before I was asked whether I wanted coffee and another 10 minutes and a reminder before it arrived. That seemed to be par for the course and other guests were complaining. When the hot food arrived it was adequate but no more.

Meanwhile those in our party that only wanted cold items (still £17.50) discovered that basics like croissants had run out.

All-in-all a poor, sub-standard breakfast service that will see me go elsewhere next time no matter how good the rooms might be. If you do stay, skip breakfast, save money and eat locally where your business will be valued so the service will be good.

• Liked — Convenient for Scottish Parliament
  • Disliked — Poor breakfast service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank adrianhobson
GRHolyrood, Operations Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2008
Dear Mr Hobson,

Its sounds as if you did indeed have a rough experience with us at breakfast of which I can only sincerely apologies.

I assure you that we take our feedback from Websites such as Tripadvisor very seriously and steps have been taken to ensure our Guests do not have any similar experiences at breakfast.

We realise that breakfast is one of the most important aspects of your stay as its the last place you dine with us before leaving.

We're confident that our focus on training Core standards, staffing levels and on details that you would expect of a 4 star luxury hotel that you would not have the same experience should you come back.

If you do decide to visit us again, which we hope you will, please contact me personally at the hotel and as I would very much appreciate the opportunity to show you how we serve up the perfect breakfast.

Yours sincerely,

Scott Masterton
Operations Manager
aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

hotel is one street back from the royal mile,15 minute walk to waverly train station.Everything is fine for a 4 star hotel.only problem was noise from nearby bar or club which went on very loudly until approx midnight.if you want an early night kip dont risk going here.Not really worth the £220 i paid for 2 nights for a double.Breakfast was an extra £17.50 each per day,which i declined,there are plenty places to eat nearby.all in all if you end up here its fine but look for somewhere else better value!!!!!

• Liked — good bathroom
  • Disliked — price of food/drink
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AberdeenGreenhat