My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise birthday break for me. I loved Edinburgh, however, I found this hotel to be slightly disappointing and very average for the rating (although I wouldn't tell him this!)
I have worked in a similar hotel before and I find them to be like an upmarket travelodge, fine for a business trip but not really great for a romantic getaway! There is nothing I particulary disliked about this hotel but at the same time I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure there are far nicer places to stay for the same amount (or less) of money.
I had a couple of issues with the hotel:
1. Breakfast- we never ate here as £17.50 is a ridiculous price for breakfast. They try to justify it by claiming they use locally sourced products but so do other places I've stayed in and they don't charge nearly half as much! When there are so many great places nearby that do great breakfasts at less than a third of the price I'd recommend you go elsewhere.
2. Smoking- we were never given the opportunity to choose a smoking/non smoking room. We never asked as we just assumed they'd be non smoking as we weren't asked what we would prefer. I'm asthmatic and we were put in a smoking room. The room itself didn't smell of smoke but the vent in the bathroom allowed all the smoke from the neighbouring rooms straight into our bathroom. It was so strong I thought my other half had been smoking in the bathroom! We didn't complain because we were only really using the hotel as a place to sleep but it wasn't very pleasant and made my breathing bad!
Overall I would say this hotel is an okay, average place to stay, not really worth the money but fine for a business trip. Don't have high expectations though as I think you can get far better value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Edinburgh's old town, adjacent to the Scottish Parliament, Macdonald Holyrood Hotel is one of the city's leading hotels which has recently completed a £2.5million investment. Whatever your reason for staying, visiting on business or visiting the fascinating city of Edinburgh, you'll find our bedrooms are some of the most comfortable in town, our Vital Health Club is ideal to unwind in and our brand new Roccas restaurant is stylish and sophisticated, serving the best quality Scottish home comforts with an Italian twist. A meal, afternoon tea or champagne at the bar is certainly not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Holyrood Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Holyrood Edinburgh
- Hotel Macdonald Holyrood
- Macdonald Holyrood Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland