“Good Hogmanay Break”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Three rooms for two nights at Hogmanay. Service was very good, and attentive, even at this extremely busy time of year. Didn't do the restaurant because there are some other spectacular restaurants within walking distance. Because it's tucked away, it's very quiet (even on Dec 31st), but it's only 100 yards from the Royal Mile. Rooms very clean and tidy. Breakfast was good with the hot stuff served to your table , none of this hot buffet nonsense, which is usually luke warm or not there... Not cheap, but check out the prices at the Travelodge at New Year, and it seems like a bargain.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Bob2233344
Write a ReviewReviews (3,173)

Reviewed 1 January 2009

Having been in Edinburgh a few weeks ago for Christmas Shopping we decided to come and sample the traditional Scottich hogmanay and we have not been disappointed.
Tried to get a hotel on Princes Street but it seems that they were all booked up months ago. We were nervous about the Holyrood as it seemed to be the only hotel with rooms left which was worrying- but we need not have worried. The hotel and staff are fantastic-in fact we are so impressed that we felt compelled to write this review from our bedroom. Everything seems brand new and the staff cannot do enough for us. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KJLeisure
Reviewed 21 December 2008

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise birthday break for me. I loved Edinburgh, however, I found this hotel to be slightly disappointing and very average for the rating (although I wouldn't tell him this!)
I have worked in a similar hotel before and I find them to be like an upmarket travelodge, fine for a business trip but not really great for a romantic getaway! There is nothing I particulary disliked about this hotel but at the same time I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure there are far nicer places to stay for the same amount (or less) of money.
I had a couple of issues with the hotel:
1. Breakfast- we never ate here as £17.50 is a ridiculous price for breakfast. They try to justify it by claiming they use locally sourced products but so do other places I've stayed in and they don't charge nearly half as much! When there are so many great places nearby that do great breakfasts at less than a third of the price I'd recommend you go elsewhere.
2. Smoking- we were never given the opportunity to choose a smoking/non smoking room. We never asked as we just assumed they'd be non smoking as we weren't asked what we would prefer. I'm asthmatic and we were put in a smoking room. The room itself didn't smell of smoke but the vent in the bathroom allowed all the smoke from the neighbouring rooms straight into our bathroom. It was so strong I thought my other half had been smoking in the bathroom! We didn't complain because we were only really using the hotel as a place to sleep but it wasn't very pleasant and made my breathing bad!
Overall I would say this hotel is an okay, average place to stay, not really worth the money but fine for a business trip. Don't have high expectations though as I think you can get far better value for money.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeckaBrighton
Reviewed 16 December 2008

We booked this for my father-in-laws birthday and also my husbands for 2 nights Bed breakfast and evening meal. First of all if was £20 per day parking at the hotel, no mention of the price on their web site. Breakfast was only self service in you could get cereal and fruit juice, cheese, ham, and bread. The full scottish breakfast you could order from the waiter which consisted of one sausage, a couple of mushrooms, an egg, a couple of small pieces of bacon, a grilled tomato, a spoonful of beans, a small piece of black pudding and a half slice of fried bread. I have always stayed at hotels where you could just help yourself from the buffet which I think is much better. The evening meal you could pick from the menu up to the value of £25 but when a steak (not big was something like £19) it didnt leave you much to spend on a starter, veg (which wasnt included in the price of the steak) and a dessert. The portions were literally lost on the place they were that small. The first evening I ordered roast vegetable lasagne. This came as a square piece of pasts about 4 5 inches square with a few roasted veg inside and a piece of pasta on the top, completely tasteless and cold. In fact all our meals were cold that evening and the restaurant was virtually empty, think about 6 other people besides us. The people at the next table actually ordered some chips and potatoes after their meal as they had assumed their meal would have come with veg etc. To actually get a 3 course meal for £25 you are certainlt pushing it. I never had a starter or a dessert so it helped financially with the others in our party wanting the 3 courses. We certainly regretted after the first night having booked for the evening meal the following night. We were the only people in the restaurant it was like a morgue. No atmosphere whatsoever however after complaining the evening before the meals were a bit warmer but not any bigger! The bar prices were extortionate no wonder no-one was ever sitting in the bar. I cannot understand why these hotels charge so much for drinks when they have staff standing around doing nothing. Surely it would be better to charge less and have people sitting in the bar drinking and chatting than no-one at all.

The room we had was fine, but my father-in-laws room had no fridge )apparently they have had trouble with them and therefore some rooms didnt have any) and their heating didnt work (which in December) which was just not acceptable. We reported this and it was apparently 'looked at' but it still didnt work!

The hotel itself although fine was no better than a Travelodge or a Ramada, and certainly did not justify the price.

It was near the Scottish Parliament building and Holyrood Palace but then so are other hotels.

I am not saying dont stay here but I am saying dont book the evening meal. It is certainly not worth the money, was not even very appetising and you hardly got anything and it was virtually cold.

My advice would be to go up the Royal Mile, there are many pubs/restaurants to choose from at half the price and at least there are people in then and the atmosphere is muc better.

There are a couple of Pizza Express, a Bella Italia, Chinese and Indian restaurants, a Tex Mex restaurant which I would much have preferred I think it was called Villa Pancho and many more to choose from. I am sure also that the drinks were half the price.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Ben&Ted
Reviewed 5 December 2008

After much searching on tripadvisor in conjunction with the hotels we could spend our Tesco vouchers on, I was delighted with the bargain we ended up with! I used £75 of vouchers for a £300 2 night dinner bed and breakfast at this hotel!

The food in the restaurant was excellent both nights - particularly the mussels and steaks. Wine a bit pricey, but what you'd expect in a hotel and an excellent selection.

Further to a review on here, we found breakfast to be great too, very efficient service and delicious - don't think I'd pay the £17.50 for it, but as it was included in our rate it didn't matter.

My only complaint was the bar bill - fortunately we only had one drink each before our meal, but to pay £6 for a gin and tonic was pain enough but £8.10 for a vodka and orange juice is ridiculous!!

The location was great, we walked up the Royal Mile to the Castle and ambled back via Princes St at the end of the day. The following day we went down to the Scottish Parliament and Palace of Holyrood. Dynamic Earth is right opposite the hotel too.

We also had lunch at Wedgwood the restaurant 5 mins walk away and would thoroughly recommend it. We'd have gone there for dinner had it not been in our rate to eat at the hotel.

All in all, an excellent birthday weekend!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sezm79
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Booked the hotel for a relaxing break with a friend due to its beauty spa and close location to station. As with previous review, it is quite a way from the station as it is down a steep hill off the Royal Mile. Though we walked there, got a taxi to station on departure.

Check in was easy and a very classy looking hotel. Room was nice. On Saturday spent the day in the hotel spa. Though not able to book their all inclusive spa day, we were really looked after. Had to have lunch in the bar, but the service was excellant. So relaxed after our day couldn't be bothered to go out for the evening!

The whole stay would have been first class, but unfortunately breakfast on the Sunday spoilt it, we had to wait for a table, despite being asked to come down before 9:30 to avoid the rush, and we had to keep asking for service and then reminding them when it still hadn't come.

Location was not a problem as we stayed round hotel, but if going for a shopping trip I would pick a hotel up the hill. Meals are a bit pricey in the hotel, but there are plenty of places minutes away to eat, so could eat out. But as a bit of treat and a relaxing spa break I would put it to the top of your list .

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2008

After looking at a map of Edinburgh we decided that Waverly Station is not that far from the hotel and we should easily be able to walk it with our luggage. The only problem was the map didn’t specify the topography; it’s quite a steep walk up to the Royal Mile from the station. I would definitely recommend getting a taxi from the station to the hotel. It only costs about £6.

The ‘check in’ staff were very efficient and friendly. The room was traditionally furnished and to a good standard. Additions of a room safe and fridge were a nice bonus. The TV although we never watched it was only a free standing CRT which took up space and made the room look a little dated. The only other downside to the room was the key activated electrics which is more of an annoyance than anything else. We used the pool while we were staying at the hotel and it was excellent.

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the Royal Mile and about 15 minutes from Princess Street. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple