“Never Again”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #52 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Have stayed in several MacDonalds hotels before and had excellent stays, but the Holyrood bedroom was so dirty and tatty I could not have spent the night in it. We were moved to an upgraded room which was better but only one I would have expected in the first instance. We were informed this was not the usual standard but this room had not recently been cleaned. On a positive note front of house did look clean and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,109)

Reviewed 30 March 2009

Booked online through lastminute.com and got a great deal, for the Top Secret Hotel, which included bed breakfast and evening meal. Got a taxi from Edinburgh Airport to the hotel - Approx £18.00. Location fantastic literally a 2 min walk from the Royal Mile, and next to the New Parliment Building. Arrival and check in were perfect. Hotel was lovely and very clean and the reception staff were outstanding.

Dealt with a fantastic guy - Jonathan Grieve, who I believe is the reception manager. He was corteous, funny and very charming, and did his upmost to accomodate us, and he bent over backwards, to make sure that he did - A true credit to himself and the Hotel, and definatley is not paid enough for the extra mile that he went. A truly lovely gentleman concierge called William Gardiner, a pleasant and utterly charming man, whom is fondly known as Bill, who truly loved his job and it certainly showed. Nothing was to much trouble. He told us many a interesting story about Edinburgh, past history and present, which we all found fasinating. Both Bill and Jonathan advised us of many fab places to visit and eat. We tried to visit as many as we could, along with others and we tried to cram it all in, but we will definatley be back to do the others. Staff like Jonathan and Bill are hard to come by, and take your stay at a hotel from a good stay to a wonderful experience. Hotels like this should appreciate what a differance these type of people make to their hotels. Room and bathroom was superb, and very clean, really lovely with everything that you would expect from a 4 star hotel. My photographs just dont do the room justice. Although dinner at the hotel was included in the deal that we booked, we decided to decline, and opted to eat out in Edinburgh, as we wanted to enjoy as much of the city that we could on our short stay there. Although we did partake in the complimentary champagne and canapes, which was served in the Library, and went down a treat on. Saturday daytime we ate at at fab place ozzing atmosphere - `Bar One` on George Street, where we had a wonderful lunch, I had skewered beef and it was divine - cooked to perfection and would highly recommend. Did Holyrood Palace in the afternoon, which was great, it was like a scaled down Kensington Palace. Evening we went to `Rose Street` and `George Street` to the many pubs and bars, and had a great time and ended up in the `Mussel Inn`, we we all tried the world famous Scottish Mussels and they didnt disapoint, again was superb. Back to the Hotel - Fantastic nights sleep in a very comfy bed, pillows wernt to my liking, but hey I am just being really picky now. Breakfast was fantastic, you could choose whatever you wanted of the menu , cooked to order, and also a cold buffet was laid out, fruits cerals, hams, cheeses, pastries, etc, so able to eat as much or as little as you like. Sunday day we were off to Edinburgh Castle which was superb and a absolute dont miss, if you only have one day - then do this, but you need a whole day so be prepared, and best to get up, and go early as the ticket queue is about half a hour to three quarter of a hour wait later on. Try to not do on a Sunday as it is the only day that they dont fire the cannon across the city, every other day this takes place at one oclock.
Re the hotel - Superb - Would recommend to anyone and would definatley return if the Budget allowed. Thanks again to Jonathan and Bill for a wonderful stay, we enjoyed your humour and your company .

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kezia
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Stayed for 2 nights 27th, 28th March. What a lovely hotel, close to Royal Mile, Palace of Holyrood and Dynamic Earth. Tour buses run outside the hotel at regular intervals. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice, didn't eat evening meal there as there are plenty of restaurants to choose from along the mile but it is directly next to Pizza Express! The rooms were spacious and spotless and no noise could be heard from other guests or outside. I would definately stay there again. We didn't park at the hotel as it costs £20 per day but parked 200 yards up the road at the NCP carpark at £16 per day.

Reviewed 29 March 2009

Having read a few poor reviews of this hotel I was a bit apprehensive about our stay. I can only assume that they were either unlucky or we were lucky. Our stay there was excellent. From the moment we arrived until we left, we could not fault the hotel. The only issue was an 11pm fire alarm due to some pillock/idiot/moron (you choose) smoking in his room. My 1 year old son did not appreciate the wake up call!!! But this was not the hotels fault. The staff were excellent and specially ordered in full fat milk for our son (and did not charge for it after 3 days @ 3 bottles a day!!!). The room was spot on and was in a quiet part of the hotel with a travel cot as requested when we booked. Again the staff were really nice. Everything worked, the room was very clean, the shower was hot and powerful, the breakfast was really nice and the other food was very tasty too. It's a little bit away from the Castle end of the Royal Mile and pushing a buggy might be a bit tough. Sling any young children into a back carrier and walk it as it's not too bad but allow 15-ish minutes!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2009

On our arrival, we thought that we would be in the hotel car park which was FULL! We were not pre warned about this. Another car park was available but was 10 minutes walk away. Our first room was not what we asked for, as there was no alcove space for our son to sleep in as seen on the website for the suite. We were moved to the room expected, as advertised, which was fine but the heating was not working! The manager supplied a portable heater the following day. We decided to go for breakfast in the morning, and had a 40 minute wait. The hotel supplied coffee, but I received a cracked cup and had to change the cup. In the restaurant, for breakfast, tables had not been cleared and we were seated at an unclean table where there was a chipped butter dish. The toast was only toasted on one side and my son received his boiled eggs in a small milk jug! In the corridor beside our room, on occasions, there was a distinct smell of cigarette smoke, which was not pleasant. We were hoping for a good night’s sleep in a comfortable bed - the bed was uncomfortable as it was an old mattress which was soft and spongy! I required information about the pool facilities and times, but there was no information in the room. Instead, I had to go and ask. My son's back was marked in the morning by the springs from the fold down bed settee. I had to ask for a thick mattress protector to put under his sheet. He hadn't slept well. Our kettle did not switch itself off, therefore it was dangerous to use. The newspaper was not put outside the door for the first 2 days and our final bill was not posted under our door on the day of our departure although a letter under our door stated that it would. The wallpaper in the room was badly stained and in one area there was a fresh stain of ?sick ?coffee ?brown something!!! We would have liked to try the restaurant which boasted a one star rosette, but we were told they were full on the two occasions we tried to book. There was an occasion we also had to ask for towels and the complementary water to be supplied to our room.This hotel cost £1000 for 4 nights on a room only basis. We thought, for this kind of money, it would have been of a very high standard but were sorely disappointed and will not return or encourage people to go there while in Edinburgh. We were compensated for breakfast, on our departure when we aired our complaints to reception.Although small, the pool was clean and enjoyed by the family.What was meant to be a special long weekend break was spoilt by the hotel. Luckily, Edinburgh is a city full of attractions and great restaurants, so our stay wasn't totally ruined.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in march for our wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived each and every member of staff was pleasant, friendly and willing to help. We were presented with a card congratulating us on our anniversary, along with two complimentary glasses of champagne - a nice touch! The room (on the club floor) was clean, comfortable and well presented. When we needed a needle and thread and extra pillows they duly arrived swiftly. Breakfast was handled well - from getting a table quickly to the quality of the food (this was around 9-9.30am, so probably at peak time).

The location is a bit out of the centre, but well worth the additonal walk. A great stay and highly recommended!

Reviewed 14 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in March 2009 and was very impressed. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked on the Saturday and we had to spend the next night in another MacDonald Hotel out of town. I was very impressed with the Holyrood hotel. The reception staff looked very smart in their uniforms and their lovely Scottish accents immediately reminded me where I was. I live in England but much prefer to Scottish accent.

The Hotel is in a lovely place. As we drove near the hotel we passed a sign which said "beware swans on the road". I thought this was a joke as I knew we were almost in the city centre. No, it was true there were swans and lots of them on a small lake just round the corner from the hotel, on the other side of Dynamic Earth. Swans are huge when they are out of the water wandering along the pavement. I went to have a look at them later but it was too dark and there was so much to see the next day I did not get the chance, We did see a lot of people walking up the hill behind the lake the next morning. The view must be wonderful if you have time to do it.

The hotel was lovely. The concierge took our car and parked it for us when we arrived and returned it when we left. When we wanted to collect something from the car we had forgotten he went and got it for us. No problem. The room was lovely we had fluffy bathrobes and complimentary slippers which was a nice surprise (we had an upgraded room so I am not sure if they were standard, we also had an iron and ironing board, kettle, shortbread etc.). We used the steam room, jacuzzi and pool which are free of charge to all guests and very relaxing. We did not eat the evening meal in the hotel as I went out with my Sister who lives in Edinburgh instead. If the meal at the other MacDonald Hotel was anything to go by I missed a real treat.

Breakfast was excellent.. Organic museli with organic milk, a choice of fruit juices, even mini donuts and chocolate muffins if you have any room left. We also had a full cooked breakfast. The black pudding was delicious and should be tried if you have never had it before. I had it along with sausage, egg, tomato, mushroom etc.

I was very surprised when I was offered Bucks Fizz for breakfast - orange juice and champagne. The height of luxury and devoured with delight.

We spent the day doing tourist attractions. The city sightseeing buses comes past the hotel and you can join one of them and hop on and off as you please for 24 hours. Otherwise it is only 10-15 minutes up to the main train station and Princes Street. They are currently putting the tram system in so the roadworks mean some detours.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city and the Holyrood Hotel is an excellent base. Very quiet on a night time, very comfortable beds, very friendly and helpful staff. I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank EvelynEngland