“Great people,great place and great fun”

Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel
Ranked #22 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We showed up in the lobby and we met Ms. Personality. Aga was informative about Edinburgh and even taught us yanks how to say it correctly. Chris the day person was from the same cut of cloth and furthered our exploring of Roslyn Chapel (not Roswell which is in AZ) and Edinburgh. The included breakfast was traditional if you wanted....I had the traditional and Berncie had the more U.S. as she just couldn't get her mind wrapped around haggis, blood sasuage and other.. I had seconds. In the bar for night caps we met fun servers and the patrons were like your best friends at the end of the conversation. If I had one complaint it was the up and down way to find your room but that also added to the charm knowing you were in an old building that maintained its character.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We enjoyed our stay in the Edinburgh Bruntsfield Best Western Plus the first week of June, 2013. My dear wife and I last stayed in the hotel almost ten years ago. Of that visit we have pleasant memories, and of this latest visit we were impressed as well with the accommodations, the staff, the restaurant, and other amenities. The Bruntsfield staff members who served us were helpful, friendly, and professional.

Our room, 102, was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The wi-fi is dependable and relatively fast. The restaurant is a plus, and serves a memorable full Scottish breakfast.

The hotel is across the street from the historic Edinburgh Meadows park and golf courses. It is within a half block of Lothian Bus stops, and the hotel is within walking distance of Princess Street and the Royal Mile--although the walks are long ones, perhaps 20 to 30 minutes or so.

The Brunsfield is, of course, a bit more expensive than many bed and breakfast establishments. We’ve had good experiences too with an Edinburgh B&B, but for the difference in costs, the increased services provided by the Bruntsfield make it a competitive option. For some travelers, the increased services might be a consideration as one makes a decision about lodging during a visit to one of Europe’s most beautiful cities.

Room Tip: Room 102 is spacious, bright, and overlooks Edinburgh's historic Meadows.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Just spent 2 nights in the Bruntsfield Hotel and it was wonderful. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Could not fault the dinner and breakfast. Nice walk down town only approx 15 mins. Best of all was the bed! Most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. Loved the large room, bathroom and bath. Would definately come back. We loved Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I work in Edinburgh regularly and always choose to stay at The Bruntsfield.

It's not the closest hotel to my office but it's certainly the best!

The staff are what make this hotel special. I am always welcomed warmly without fail and was even when they didn't know me as a regular guest. Reception staff do their upmost to make my stay 'just right'. Any small issue I have had has been sorted out with a smile, efficiency and great care. The guys in the restaurant are wonderful and always make breakfast a pleasure which is not always the case when travelling as a solo female. Every member of staff you pass smiles and wishes you a good day.

The hotel itself is full of character, not a soulless, bland new build. Location is great and as well as a nice in house restaurant there are an array of great bars and restaurants with a couple of minutes walk (Montpeliers being my favourite!). It's a great neighbourhood with great shops, coffee shops and a park opposite.It costs next to nothing to get a cab into the City Centre but I believe its also on a main bus route.

The rooms are comfortable and well equipped. Reservations always book me into one of my two favourites and I always get a great nights sleep. They are spotless and have everything you need - tea/coffee/shortbread, tv with lots of channels, comfy bed. Room service is great - anything off the main menu until 9 and all at the same cost - no overpriced, small room service menu here. Breakfast here is great - huge choice and all cooked fresh to order.

Yes the car park is small but many city centre hotels don't have any and I have never had a problem getting parked. You can also park free on the road after 6.30pm until the following morning.

I'm a little surprised to see some reviews complaining about paying £85-90 a night. I think it's great value for money, especially in a capital city. I love staying here and choose to stay generally 3-4 nights a month.

Great hotel made greater by a great staff!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Thank shell.r
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

Had a free night here courtesy of Best Western group but would have paid. Nice building and lovely area. Me and partner had a nice walk into town that night and were closer than we thought. The staff were really friendly and room was spacious and clean.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We've stayed here before & it's a great location by the Meadows - lots of lovely small, interesting shops to visit close by, like Oh Ruby Shoes, The Cocoa tree (and if you're a cycling fan; Edinburgh Bicycle company). Car park is very small, you need to arrive early to get a space. Rooms are large, but quite nondescript & a bit dated. But clean & absolutely fine for an overnight. In common with most Edinburgh hotels, it's probably overpriced - but that just seems to be the way of things in Edinburgh & they're always full! We looked over a side street & it was quiet, as was the hotel, even though it was very busy.
Breakfast selection was good & the service was very good, even though it was very busy. Reception staff were friendly & welcoming

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (overlooking the side street will be quieter)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell_Imrie, Managing Director at Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear LizzieMacW

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. It is important to me to receive guest feedback as it enables an honest appraisal of the level of customer satisfaction we provide. We do our very best to be special for all our guests and the great majority of the time we do this. I was pleased to read your postive comments about our housekeeping standards and our level of service. Rest assured that we'll be working hard to add special touches so that all our guests notice the difference of a stay with us. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to give me valuable feedback..

Your sincerely

Russell Imrie

Reviewed 2 June 2013

The hotel is really nice. A pleasant-looking old building, situated just by the Meadows - so a great view, and also a nice place for a wander. There is a good array of shops and restaurants very close by, and the hotel's well-located for getting into town. The bedrooms (or at least the one I stayed in) are exceptionally nice and well-furnished - a very good size, extremely comfortable and large bed, the usual TV and tea/coffee making facilities, good desk/working space, and a big bathroom with posh toiletries. My only complaint would be that they can get very hot (I was there in May, and the room was like a sauna), and that the noise from the street can be a bit much if you keep the windows open. The hotel has a bar and restaurant (although no need to use it much - as above, lots of good restaurants within very close walking distance) - breakfast was excellent and with really friendly service, dinner wasn't so fantastic and the wait staff were pretty lackadaisical about the whole thing. My other grumble is the appalling Wi-Fi service - it's free, but seems to go down on an almost daily basis, and takes a while to be fixed. And there's a bizarre setup of tea and coffee on a table in the reception area which also seems to ask guests for a 50p charge to be put in a glass jar - very strange indeed?!? But ... all in all - the pros certainly outweigh the cons. It's a lovely hotel, and definitely above-average rooms.

Room Tip: Those overlooking the Meadows have a great view, but can get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business