“Great value and service”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Stayed Sat 02/07/11 to 04/07/11 arrived at reception 08:00 having prebooked on Internet. Asked for somewhere to leave luggage as I realised we were extremely early, lucky fir us the receptionist was friendly helpful and efficient offering us access to a room immediately, the room was compact, spotless and well equipped. All in all the stay was excellent. Great accommodation, great location, great staff. Have already recommended it to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2011
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Thank you for your review. I'm very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that we were able to accommodate you so early in the morning. Although we offer check in from 2.30pm onwards, we will always do our best to accommodate guests on arrival.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kirsty Cowan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed 9 July 2011

My friend picked this hotel, I had never stayed at an Apex before so thought it would be an experience, however I would not have picked this hotel myself. We got the train to Edinburgh and the hotel was quite a walk from the station so we had to get a taxi. Check in took a bit of time and I didn't find the staff very friendly. The room itself was clean and nice, the only thing I would say about the room was the toilet and sink were really close together, which is really annoying! The bed was comfortable and the shower was nice.

I found the hotel was quite away from everything, even the shops were about 30 minutes walk, so it was either pay for taxis or walk quite a way to get anywhere which was such a waste of time.

I also found the place expensive, I have stayed at hotels around the country and considering I was paying half the rate as it was twin room so the other person I shared with paid half as well and breakfast was not included, I thought it was very expensive and not good value for money. I would not stay at this Apex again and if I considered staying at a different Apex hotel it would only be if I got a good deal as I would not be paying their prices again.

Room Tip: Stay at a hotel right in the city, saves so much time
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cazzzie987

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occassion, mainly due to the location of the hotel. There are two train stations in Edinburgh and we are located only minutes walk away from Haymarket station. It sounds like you terminated your journey at Waverly station, which is around 10 minutes drive to us in a taxi. We are only a 15 minute strole to the West End of Princes Street but you can be there much quicker by jumping on a bus directly outside the hotel. Our Guest Services team are always happy to assist with directions. I'm sorry you experienced a delay on arrival and I was particularly disappointed to read that you felt our team did not convey a warm welcome to you. Our Guest Services team pride themselves on the high level of service we offer all customers.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

My wife and I spent four fantasic nights at this hotel and enjoyed every minute.
The room was first class staff very helpful and friendly. the breakfast excellent, the restaurant warm and inviting. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Some rooms have limited views
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank percymt
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

Thank you very much for your review. It's great to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

A very convenient spot, close enough to walk to the castle, but in more of a neighborhood than the tourist center. Especially convenient for heading to the airport the next day. Take advantage of the pub downstairs. If you don't like the half door shower, make sure you ask for a room with a full door. Desk clerk was very helpful. Only a small lot for parking.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Family_Traveler_65

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. We are perfectly situated in the City's West End, allowing us to give convenient access to both city centre and airport links, whilst still being withing walking distance of the City's main attractions. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel during your next visit to Scotland.
Regards
Gneral Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2011

I wish all hotels were like the Apex. I'm fussy, it takes a lot for me to be pleased.
I've booked our customers in here on corporate days, which says a lot about the faith I have in them. I say in a lot of hotels all around the world and the Apex is what I measure them against. Even hotels that are much more expensive quite often don't get the basics right like the Apex does.
They have a more personal/caring touch which I find refreshing. The checkin clerk remembered me from my last visit, which has never happened to me before.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

We really appreciate you taking the time to post your review, thank you very much! Hopefully we will see you back at the Apex European in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed as a family group in April and cannot fault the hotel.

Only a 5 minute walk from Haymarket train station and about 15-20 minutes walk to the city centre, there is a bus stop right outside though if you prefer.

The room was a decent size, clean and the Elemis toileteries in the bathroom were a nice surprise. It was just before Easter when we stayed and the complimentary chocolate bunny was a lovely touch, as was the rubber duck in the bathroom- my 3 year old was impressed!!)

The breakfast was delicious and there was so much, a good start to the day.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

I would definately stay at this hotel again and would highly recommend.

Tip- call reservations for the best price- it was cheaper than the website.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank LLA07

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for your stay with us in April. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. The chocolate bunnies did look very yummy indeed and of course, our Apex ducks appeal to children of all ages!

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Great holiday and business hotel. Quite small rooms but good value. Clean. Nice toilettes. Great reception service. Amazing breakfast. Great location for travel or work. V pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank ShudTravel

Thank you very much for your review. I'm pleased to read you had an enjoyable time with us and that you were happy with both the service and the bedroom product that we supply. Our breakfast is a great deal at only £10 for an all you can eat continental buffet and freshly prepared full Scottish breakfast. It all sets you up nicely for a day of sightseeing round the city!